LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Couple of Nav questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 05:29 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Couple of Nav questions

I didn't see these in the manual, so forgive me if I just missed them:

1. All my previous Nav units (both in-car and aftermarket) have had a feature for identifying landmarks. For example, if you see a park, or hospital icon, or a lake,or whatever, you could move the cursor to it and either tap the screen or push the controller, and it would identify the item (Old City Park, Methodist Hospital, Shadow Lake, etc.) Does our Nav do this? How do you do it?

2. My other Nav's have also displayed altitude, usually in a separate "Current Location" screen. This isn't vital info, but it's fun sometimes while traveling to know that you're at 9,000 feet or whatever. Is this hidden somewhere in our Nav?

TIA.

Old 01-12-08, 06:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. If POIs are on (Points of Interest), simply touching each POI icon with your finger should bring up a title caption at the top of the screen, and the 'Info' button which will add any add'l. info (phone number, etc.)

2. Not sure how to get altitude, all I know of are the Compass Mode which gives longitude, latitude, heading etc.
Old 01-12-08, 06:44 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
1. If POIs are on (Points of Interest), simply touching each POI icon with your finger should bring up a title caption at the top of the screen, and the 'Info' button which will add any add'l. info (phone number, etc.)

2. Not sure how to get altitude, all I know of are the Compass Mode which gives longitude, latitude, heading etc.
Thanks, Encore, but I was referring to things other than specific POI icons.

Maybe I'm wierd, I like to use the nav for things like "What lake is that over there?" while traveling, or "I didn't know that park was there. What's it called?", or "Is that Baylor Hospital where that hospital symbol is?", and so on.

I can't find any way to have it identify things like that.

Old 01-12-08, 09:59 PM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Maybe I'm wierd, I like to use the nav for things like "What lake is that over there?" while traveling, or "I didn't know that park was there. What's it called?", or "Is that Baylor Hospital where that hospital symbol is?", and so on.

Hi Mike,

from my experience, you can get the info on any POI by touching it. the POI will move to the center and the name will appear at the top of the screen. from your query above, when you touch the hospital symbol, the system should tell you the name of the hospital. similarly, if the park is a POI then it will show you the name. i am afraid that lakes don't seem to be fair game for this...
Old 01-13-08, 04:26 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i followed the link, but it's on hand held PCs?
Old 01-13-08, 07:53 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sbdan
Hi Mike,

from my experience, you can get the info on any POI by touching it. the POI will move to the center and the name will appear at the top of the screen. from your query above, when you touch the hospital symbol, the system should tell you the name of the hospital. similarly, if the park is a POI then it will show you the name. i am afraid that lakes don't seem to be fair game for this...
Thanks, Daniel, but that doesn't work, except on things like restaurants, gas stations, etc., where you've set the system to show those icons. I've tried it on parks and hospitals and lakes and shopping malls, etc. and all I get is the name of the city or maybe a street name.

Now - I'm talking about the kinds of places that show all the time on the screen, like parks, which are shown in green with a little tree symbol, or hospitals, which I think are shown in brown with a little cross symbol, or lakes, which are of course blue, or airports, which are shown with a little airplane symbol. If you have hospitals specifically selected to show as on-screen POI's, I suppose your method would work, but I don't want my screen obscured by zillions of POI icons.

We travel a lot, and I guess we're curious people. But haven't you seen, for example, a huge airport-looking complex off to the north of the highway and wondered what it was? When I did, I could move the cursor to it and the nav would tell me it's Barksdale Air Force Base, or whatever. And you say, "Oh, okay, that's where it is."

Or maybe you see a big green patch just off your highway, and you move the cursor there and find out it's Apache National Forest. You might even want to take a detour up there to see it when you know what it is. Or a lake and it's just fun to touch on it and find out it's Bass Lake.

I guess our system just doesn't tell you stuff like that, and that's too bad. I've found a lot of neat places just by seeing them on the nav screen and "asking".

Old 01-13-08, 12:12 PM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a acura tl now and mine doesn't tell me the info you are saying, i wonder about that stuff all the time, ie is that green area slightly off from my route home a park?
Old 01-13-08, 01:24 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by guy999
i have a acura tl now and mine doesn't tell me the info you are saying, i wonder about that stuff all the time, ie is that green area slightly off from my route home a park?
Guy I don't remember for sure if my '06 TL did that, but I thought it did, and I know the '06 RL and '07 MDX did. Are you saying if you scroll the cursor over to one of those areas and push the controller button it doesn't display the name? How about on lakes?

I may be remembering the RL functions, but I sure thought the late-model TL's did the same.