LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 01:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And just to confirm, Luxofreak reported in another thread that wind noise was evidently gone:

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Just for the record, wind noise is fixed.

Last edited by encore888; 07-21-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 09:22 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok...Got my wind noise TSIB done Friday on my LWB. They said it was the advanced release of the official TSIB. No glass was changed but the parts seemed to be the same as everyone posted.

90269-A0006 Rivet 10 of them
75546-30100 clip windshield 3
75562-30070 clip roof drip 8
75545-30150 Clip windshield 2

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worsted) the wind noise was an 11 and drove me nuts. After the repair the noise is a 3. It still louder than my old car but now it is livable and noticeable but it does not bother me. All they did was to insert a piece of felt in the window channel.

I like my car again, I had the first oil change done and used synthetic. The car to me idles even smother now. So on a scale of 1-10 I like this car an 8.

I have the LWB touring package.

If any of you have the problem, call Lex corp at the 800# in your manual and ask them to send a technical field rep to the dealer to super vise the repair. The dealer is clueless until taught.
Old 07-23-07, 09:47 AM
omarban
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you put photos of the place where the felt has been instaled at your LS window? Or could you describe in more detail where they put the felt, inside the belt around the window, between th door and the belt, in the vertical belt, in the top belt, ... all arround

Thakns in advanced
Old 07-23-07, 06:05 PM
valmarc
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind and road noise

I really admire the interest the folks on this forum have about the noise issue in the new LS460. I have a brief story to tell and I have to preface it by saying it may be completely crazy but here goes

Since I got the car I thought I detected two different noise problems from the front doors. One was a wind noise at the top of the window that could be diminshed by cracking the window just a little bit. The other I have called road noise but rather it was the sound of cars passing in the opposite direction or even in the same direction on two lane roads or highways. The rear seat was incredibly quiet.

I received the window fix including new windows and I don't know about the felt insertion. The wind noise fron the upper part of the window was essentially eliminated.

I still thought I heard too much outside car and truck noise compared to my other cars. It is almost like the window was open. After some poking around I discovered that the opening on the bottom of the front door arm rest seems to lead to an empty space behind the entire arm rest. The hole in the rear door arm rest does not seem to open into such an empty space. I had heard from my dealer that Lexus had added "insulation to the doors" but that my car already had it.

This is where it gets crazy. I stuffed some rags in the hole in the arm rest in the front doors and I "think" the outside noise is better.

Crazy huh?
Old 07-23-07, 06:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Welcome to Club Lexus, valmarc!!! Thanks for sharing your story. I have had some personal experience trying to troubleshoot and eliminate wind noise on cars, but not on any Lexus. And sometimes each case is unique, or a spot fix can work wonders.

Hopefully you can enjoy your car better now, and the arm rest fix perhaps isn't too intrusive? I should check, but if it's like previous LS models then the 'hole' goes through the arm rest...a nice grip spot with soft leather.
Old 07-23-07, 07:53 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Valmarc

I know what you're talking about. I also have the wind noise fix and it does work perfectly. When I went to my window tint shop to have the new front windows re-tinted (paid by Lexus) I had the chance to look at the door without the panel and yes, there is new insulation added exactly at that spot you mentioned, behind the arm rest. I am able to say that the whole window fix was done very professionaly, everything looks like it was never messed around with.

Keep in mind that the car is very quiet from other standpoints. I can relate when you mentioned that noises from outside seem louder in the 460 than in other cars. Basically we're inside of a "dead chamber" in the LS and for example, in my wife's Nissan Murano the perceived outside noise seems less, but the whole car is way louder than the LS - road noise, engine noise, drivetrain noise, etc... so I believe that those outside noises get killed by the inside noises in the Murano. In the LS there is NO noise, so outside noises seem to be way louder.

I was driving the LS today with my window open all the way and with my elbow resting on the door. That's when I could really enjoy how quiet this car is. All noises from outside made this car feel like it was powered by magnets and not an internal combustion engine.
Old 07-23-07, 10:23 PM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Valmarc

I got the same ourside noise as your case. My one is LS460 SWB but in Hong Kong, we have the laminated glass for both front & rear windows already. However, the outside noise of the car next to my lane is really lound, if a bus or a motobrike is next to me, it is really terrible. I always think I forgot to close the window. I am really disappointed becasue of this outside noise & wind noise.

I hope Lexus will release the TSB & I can send it to the only one dealer in here & force them to follow. I try to complaint to them before & they just keep on saying nothing special, the car is Ok & nosie level is normal.

Luxofreak
Do you think the new insulation added behind the arm rest was made during the wind noise fix? Is it a part of the step Lexus ask dealers to do? Thx!

Do yoi think the
Old 07-24-07, 12:47 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by elac
Valmarc

I got the same ourside noise as your case. My one is LS460 SWB but in Hong Kong, we have the laminated glass for both front & rear windows already. However, the outside noise of the car next to my lane is really lound, if a bus or a motobrike is next to me, it is really terrible. I always think I forgot to close the window. I am really disappointed becasue of this outside noise & wind noise.

I hope Lexus will release the TSB & I can send it to the only one dealer in here & force them to follow. I try to complaint to them before & they just keep on saying nothing special, the car is Ok & nosie level is normal.

Luxofreak
Do you think the new insulation added behind the arm rest was made during the wind noise fix? Is it a part of the step Lexus ask dealers to do? Thx!

Do yoi think the
Having done a lot of business in HK in the past, I know exactly what you are talking about. Their attitude is almost defensive, as if they're shareholders in the company. Buying in North America (USA & Canada) versus Asia, could not be more diametrically opposed. Consumers have very little recourse compared to here. Good Luck anyway...
Old 07-24-07, 01:12 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the last 4 or so who posted, yes I agree the out side noise is still loud when cars pass by. There is still something not sealing. The TSIB repair is better but not perfect. While the wind noise is better and tolerable I'm still going to pursue a better fix from Lexus. It still is louder than any other car I've owned and I don't expect that from a Lexus, maybe a Ford or Chevy.

Also someone else wanted to know were the felt went. I did not see the repair done, nor can you see the repair visually. The shop foreman told me the felt strip goes under the rubber window seal. It pushes the seal tighter..."high tech fix". On my LWB I did not have the galss or the door panels off.

I have to say the dealer did a great job, they washed the car and filled my tank. You can't tell they touched the car.
Old 07-24-07, 02:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Since your vehicle is a LWB, the procedure for the wind noise fix was 'less involved' I surmise? Perhaps the door panel/armrest felt as mentioned by others might help? Just speculating.
Old 07-24-07, 05:52 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the wind noise repair done today. I would say, 85% of the turbulence is gone. I don't have wind leaking from the top of the window anymore. I would say the noise I have now is normal. When the mechanic took my car for a test drive, he must have been behind a dump truck with gravel, The front of my car was covered with gravel dust and I found a rock chip they had to repair. I am happy with the repair, but I don't want them test driving my car anymore. The repair was done at Lexus of St. Louis. They also upgraded the software on the transmission. I don't have the delay when leaving from a stop anymore. The chip was small and was on the top of the passenger side rear door. They tried to tell me they did not follow a truck in my car. They say, they're instructed to pull over and not follow a truck in a customers car.
It took 4-5 hours for the window repair. I left the car there for 8 hours. They gave me a GS 300 AWD for a loaner. It doesn't compare to the LS 460.

Craig
Old 07-24-07, 08:16 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sux about the rock chip. In my car I'd say the wind noise is 99.5% gone, not just 85%....
Old 07-25-07, 05:31 AM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

I too have the wind noise on my LWB. Apparently, I'm going to be the first at the Savannah Dealership to have the fix done. The kit has been ordered from the Factory Rep. Once it comes in the Factory Rep will come in to oversee the installation.

Reading the posts, I'm still confused as to the fix. Is it the windshield or the front side windows? From my observations, the wind noise is coming mostly from the top of the side window.
Old 07-25-07, 07:56 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone have the official TSIB # for this fix? My dealer doesn't know anything about it. I asked them to put me on the waiting list for it, and instead they installed the mirror fix, after I specifically told them that wasn't the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-07, 12:08 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

They're going to mail the paper work. I didn't want to wait around for an extra half hour. You should ask to speak to the Lexus area service rep. The parts are ordered through the rep, not the parts dept. Sorry, I don't have the TSIB #. If someone hasn't posted it, I will let you know when I get my papers in the mail.

Luxo Freak, I think the noise I hear now is normal. I would say the only noise I hear now is normal turbulence, not the wind noise I heard before.

Craig

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)