LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 04:14 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whecks new car

Whecks would you mind looking at the door frame and getting the date mfg for us?
Old 08-16-07, 04:29 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine only had the noise on the drivers side window...
They replaced both windows and now I don't have wind noise.

Craig
Old 08-16-07, 05:36 PM
whecks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
Whecks would you mind looking at the door frame and getting the date mfg for us?
No problem...I might need some instruction on where to look (I'm new at this stuff)...
Old 08-16-07, 05:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Open your driver's door and look on the lower right corner of the frame. The month and year of manufacture is in the upper right corner of the plaque.
Old 08-16-07, 05:53 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
shawn, so it is true that on the ls460l (lwb), the fix is just to add more insulation?
yes thicker insulation on the door seals. no windows if they already have the laminated glass
Old 08-16-07, 06:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnjohn9
yes thicker insulation on the door seals. no windows if they already have the laminated glass
and when you guys did that, did you guys notice any improvement?
Old 08-16-07, 06:16 PM
whecks
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully this is it...

...apparently, I'm not related to Ansel Adams.

MFD = 07/07
C/TR: 212/LAOO USF40L-AEZGHA
A/TM: A01A/AABOE
Old 08-16-07, 06:18 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
and when you guys did that, did you guys notice any improvement?
We havent done any l yet, only swb. the parts for the fix are back ordering and dealershps are alloted a certain amount, just like the gx drive shaft clunk, and the a.c kits, back ordered for months.
Old 08-16-07, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

We havent done any l yet, only swb. the parts for the fix are back ordering and dealershps are alloted a certain amount, just like the gx drive shaft clunk, and the a.c kits, back ordered for months.
gotcha. if by any chance you guys do any lwb, do post back about the effect. we have seen a lot of replies here on swb, would be good to have lwb as well
Old 08-16-07, 06:36 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Default Build date

Originally Posted by whecks
Hopefully this is it...

...apparently, I'm not related to Ansel Adams.

MFD = 07/07
C/TR: 212/LAOO USF40L-AEZGHA
A/TM: A01A/AABOE
Well, There goes my theory about Lexus fixing the wind noise in later models. Mine is a May07 build, and I don't hear any wind noise.
Old 08-16-07, 06:53 PM
Nospinzone

Same here Sid. The only thing is Whecks' noise is from the passenger side. Every other wind noise I ever heard of posted here was only from the driver's side.

Whecks, any chance you left some window open a crack or a door wasn't closed?
Old 08-16-07, 07:57 PM
whecks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Same here Sid. The only thing is Whecks' noise is from the passenger side. Every other wind noise I ever heard of posted here was only from the driver's side.

Whecks, any chance you left some window open a crack or a door wasn't closed?
Interesting data point. I had not noticed that all other responses had referenced the driver's side as the problem. In answer to your question, no chance...I checked all the windows and doors, moved the mirrors, folded/unfolded them. The driver's side is fine (although I will be having both sides fixed as a measure against any future noise).

FWIW, I just went out for a drive to listen again (I will probably drive myself nuts listening/analyzing this for the next few days--pun intended). While I don't hear the whistling this evening, I do still hear the whipping wind/vortex that was responsible for creating the whistling this afternoon...you can hear air rushing (or is it oscillating?) somewhere near the slipstream that actually creates the noise. I am assuming that their is a singular air channel that is responsible...a small window of opportunity whereby air will find a resonant frequency and become audible. It seems to want to happen at speeds greater than 60 MPH.

In managing my expectations of what "fix" the dealership might supply, I will say that I will happy if they can make it such that the whistling will never happen again. The vortex noise I just described above is something I can tolerate--and may be something that cannot be fixed without a complete mirror-housing redesign.

It's really weird. I cannot understand why it started happening. The only variable I can think of is water. My car was wet this afternoon after being parked outside in an earlier rain storm. It is the first time I have driven it wet. I wonder if the water had something to do with it.
Old 08-16-07, 08:23 PM
Nospinzone

My car was wet this afternoon after being parked outside in an earlier rain storm.

You left the car out in the rain???!!!!

Just kidding!
Old 08-17-07, 04:13 AM
thrang
Rookie

Shawn - I had the laminated fix done to my SWB, and I still hear wind noise coming from the top of the windows/doors when I hit 5o or 60 MPH...it seems the LWB fix - thicker insulation on door seals - is kind of pointed smack dab at the problem. I'm wondering if it's worth asking my dealership to apply the LWB fix to my car...Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-17-07, 02:41 PM
thrang
Rookie

Shawn

My local Lexus technician says he doesn't know what you're talking about - he indicates there's not difference between the SWB and LWB fix except of course that laminated glass is not needed on the LWB since that's factory installed. He said there is nothing about increasing the insulation on the door seals.

If there is specific TSIB info you can provide, it would be of great help, since I would think this should help the SWB models as well if you hear the "leaking" air noise from the top of the door.

Thanks

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)