LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 05:14 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thrang
Shawn

My local Lexus technician says he doesn't know what you're talking about - he indicates there's not difference between the SWB and LWB fix except of course that laminated glass is not needed on the LWB since that's factory installed. He said there is nothing about increasing the insulation on the door seals.

If there is specific TSIB info you can provide, it would be of great help, since I would think this should help the SWB models as well if you hear the "leaking" air noise from the top of the door.

Thanks
Yeah othing on the door seals, its just the window seals, and fender sorry for the confusion

Last edited by sjpobox; 08-22-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 05:16 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I think the additional insulation only affects earlier VINs. If the VIN of your car is later than what is on the TSB, you only need the glass replacement.
Old 08-22-07, 05:17 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
They're not adding thicker insulation to the door seals, they're adding it inside the doors to close up gaps is the way I understood it. They did tighten the belt moldings on the windows for a tighter seal. That's what I remember the tech telling me...

Craig
Hi, we are not adding extra insulation to the door seals, we add a piece of rubber to the window run-window seal, thick foam in between the fender and hood, thick foam to the back side of the window trim. I hope i didnt say door seals and confuse people.
Old 08-22-07, 05:56 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My LS is in for services and warranty today. My dealer claims the work can be done in one day - very optimistic. In a way I hope they are successful as the loaner I was given is an ES350 with 2,000 miles on the odo. What a difference driving this car. I don't want to put this car down as they are far apart in price and overall impression. I tried to listen for any wind noise, but the tire and drivetrain noises easily inhibit any ability to pick any up - Lexus' main argument about this problem to begin with. That's all I want to say about comparing the two, as there is very little to compare, contrary to what some have tried to do.

List of work scheduled:

16,000 kilometre service
Front side window replacements (wind noise)
Front console box spring repair (does not fully close)
Rear glove box replacement (rattles)
Transmission diagnostic & repair (screech on hard accel)
Homelink module replacement (simplified programming)
Other minor details
Old 08-22-07, 07:20 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Default Mine's in the shop as well...

I brought my vehicle in yesterday for replacement of my CD player and the wind noise repair (it's the first this dealership has done concerning this issue so a factory tech came out today for the training of the Service Foreman). I didn't particularly want to be first in the dealership (Longo Lexus in CA) but figuring that I had a factory rep out to do the training probably stands a better chance of it being done correctly (hopefully).

My CD player decided to stop playing about a month ago, so I waited to get the parts and scheduled for this fix and have both the CD replaced (which requires the radio also be replaced as I understand it since it's one unit) and the wind noise fix. Interestingly, I told a friend that the fix was out for this that goes to my gym (he also has a SWB LS 460) and he went to Crown Lexus and had the entire thing done with a factory rep the very next week. Longo Lexus said they had procedure to follow and asked that I first come in for a test drive with the Service Foreman. The purpose of the test drive was to both hear the wind noise issue in my vehicle and to compare it to others so that we can identify the problem and come to a mutual agreement of what a reasonable outcome would be (I was told this by the Foreman). I mentioned that a friend of mine just had this done at Crown Lexus and didn't have to do any of this and was told that these are the "rules" that Lexus puts out for this fix. So, I cooperated figuring that it's in my best interest. First we drove my car (he drove), then he drove another SWB where some work had been done to correct the problem but evidently no new laminated glass? He hadn't told me this until he asked me what I thought of that car (it was a new SWB LS 460) and I said I hear the same thing. Then we drove a new LWB and I said I hear the wind turbulence which I expected but the overall noise and "wind leak" sound was not present with the laminated glass. I guess that was the "test" for me and so evidently the glass is being replaced for both front windows. I'll let you know how it goes. I did ask that they do a complete physical inspection of the car to protect both of us from any scratches, dings, etc., that hopefully will not occur as a result of taking the car apart and CD area apart which turned out a clean bill when I turned the car in.

That said, I have a loaner...an IS 350. I always thought those cars look pretty sharp on the road. I like their look over the BMW 3 series (just my opinion) which usually is not the case...I have liked the look of the BMWs in the past better..including the current 7 series over my LS 460. Anyway, I was impressed with how loaded up you can get the IS 350. They really can pack in a lot of the luxury items and features of my LS (on a smaller scale of course). The car has sufficient power for my driving style, but the first thing I did notice was quite a bit of road noise and feeling the ride quite a bit. I didn't expect that would be different for a smaller vehicle that probably does not have the workings of the LS to make the ride so smooth. The other thing I noticed was the legroom in the back seat area of the IS. Yikes! I'm 6'0" and unless I would tilt up my seat so that it was more vertical, there was no way anyone behind me could put their legs between my seat and where they sit in the back seat. It wasn't totally uncomfortable for me to have the back of my driver's seat more upright but a definite adjustment if there would be any passengers in the back. Outside of these 3 observations, I felt the IS was a pretty nice car for what it offered and the way it was laid out.

I'll keep you posted on my LS repair. I'll have to get my windows re-tinted once this repair is complete.
Old 08-22-07, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the is350 is for sure fast, it can outrun the ls460 easily

but the ls just wins overall
Old 08-23-07, 10:56 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Thanks Mallory. I still have some scepticism about this whole affair and will keep a close ear on the repair result. Because my experience developed gradually as some others have also pointed out - and this is detailed in my initial posts on the matter - I will only feel relieved when 10,000 miles have passed following the "cure".

Interestingly, the ES350 loaner I'm driving (2,000 miles) has some mild "background" wind noise, but it is amply overshadowed by a rash of drivetrain, suspension and tire noises, so it would not be as apparent as what we hear in the LS. This fact is central to Lexus' position as stated on the wind noise TSIB, and makes sense to a degree. It doesn't relieve them of the point I hold, that the window surround seal is a weak design for the tempered glass unit, and it carries a lot, if not most of the blame for the progressive increase in wind noise over time. This is supposed to be a quiet car after all is said and done.
Old 08-24-07, 05:44 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

This is my VIN Number: JTHGM46F975017445

I can hear wind hummering from outside. So is my car affected or is it normal?
Old 08-25-07, 10:44 AM
Atlas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I just went to a dealer website that has the 2008 specifications for the LS460 and the LS460L. The Laminated glass that we have seen as part of the fix for the wind noise on the SWB is not listed in the 2008 specifications. Am I to believe that Lexus completely ignored all of the problems with wind noise and did not incorporate the wind noise fix into the vehicle build at the factory for the 2008's?
Old 08-25-07, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I think the laminated glass is meant to be an option to make the LS460L more quiet than the LS460 in the first place to differentiate them. The wind noise problem has to do with the window seal & the mirror as well, so the laminated glass is not the only fix.
I am thinking they install the laminated glass to fix the 07 SWB LS460's that has the noise problem to try to reduce the noise as much as possible to please the customers. It's possible they have addressed the issue some other ways in the factory for the more recently built cars & the 08's.
I am aware of at least one SWB LS460 owner who recently took delivery of the car reporting no excessive/abnormal wind noise.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-25-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-25-07, 12:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

again, as stated in another thread, tsib doesn't necessarily means a full fix. it can be served as an option if the customers experience issues.

with that said, that's probably why laminated glass doesn't become "standard" for the 460 swb. for the record, not all 07 swb has issues anyway
Old 08-25-07, 01:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
Many who said they did not are starting to post that they now do, it may be weeks after ownership before the wind noise appears.
Those are not from the more recently built 07 SWB LS460's though that I am aware of.
Old 08-25-07, 01:33 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I am aware of at least one SWB LS460 owner who recently took delivery of the car reporting no excessive/abnormal wind noise.
Same situation I had initially. The problem usually surfaces later...
Old 08-25-07, 01:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Same situation I had initially. The problem usually surfaces later...
When was your car built may I ask ?
I hope all goes well with your fix. I may get mine from JP next year if Leo give me a good price(I bought my SC430 there in late 2002, & Leo gave me a test drive of an Exec.Package a few weeks ago), so I hope they are treating you well.
Old 08-25-07, 04:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I visited my dealer today to swap cars, as the ES they gave me had been in an accident prior to my taking it, and since it looks like the LS won't be finished until next Wednesday, my wife became upset about the large dent in her door, so I requested the change.

As I was leaving, I couldn't resist driving around the building to check on my car. The following pics were taken through the adjacent windows, and a warning at this point is appropriate for the squeamish or faint of heart... Notice the driver's seat is amply covered, while the passenger's is not...

Driver's Side View

Passenger Side View

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)