LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 05:48 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in the shop as we speak for the wind noise. It is my first visit for it and they have had my car since last Wednesday (6 days). I had the CD/Radio replaced at the same time as the windows and insulation put in for the wind noise. My CD gave out about 1 month ago. The plan was for them to work on the CD last Wednesday when I brought it in and on Thursday to do the wind noise repair. Unfortunately, Lexus had sent the parts to the dealer but did not include 4 foam blocks that were supposed to be in the fix kit. They arrived on Monday (yesterday) and I was told that the service tech was not fully satisfied with the partial wind noise that still existed so he did some further adjustments and he now is pleased. For the inconvenience, the dealer is now having my car fully detailed (not sure if it is for my inconvenience or because of the mess it might be in after all the work between the 2 repairs). Tomorrow, I would expect a call to get my car back. Let's see how things go...I'll keep you informed.
Old 08-28-07, 06:27 PM
lwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do let me know about the wind noise fix. This is really a bad deal for Lexus and it being their flagship automobile. I don't know how long they will have mine but it really is getting ridiculous. I think they have a problem with wind turbulent and they are at a loss as to how to fix it.
Old 08-29-07, 12:40 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Just picked up my car from the dealer and the wind noise is G - O - N - E ! ! ! I do hear wind turbulents outside, which from any car I drive or have driven in is audible; however, even that is highly muted with the laminated glass. Cars passing me on the freeway are also muted. So, I couldn't be happier!!!
Old 08-29-07, 12:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Great news Ace, I couldn't be happier for you, and am looking forward to the same results. I spoke with them this morning, and it looks like they are projecting an early next week completion... Two weeks?
Old 08-29-07, 02:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

The excuse I was given was one of the exterior trims didn't fit properly, to which I responded, "Why do you think a new one would fit any better?". They didn't have an answer, so I asked, "What happened, did your guy step on it?" So, of course they had to order it in from the US, yada yada... The front console box had to be ordered from Japan, and the rear console was also delayed... They haven't even done the tranny road test. I put them on notice that I will be examining the results very closely, and have gotten my sales guy involved, asking him to wander over to the service bay twice a day, treating it like it is his own. I gave them the TSIB one month ago, and told them to have everything in place, including a factory tech (where is he?). They said, "No problem." Seems all that pre-emptiveness wasn't enough. We'll see what happens... At this point Mallory, I think it would take less time if I brought it down to your dealer.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-29-07 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typographical Error
Old 08-29-07, 04:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Burnaby, JP probably isn't ready to tackle this issue, you must be the first complaining about the windnoise issue to JP, I bet the others in Vancouver who bought the early build LS460's aren't even aware of the wind noise issue without visiting this forum Or they enjoy the Mark Levinson so much that they have them on all or most of the time they didn't even have a chance to notice them so it becomes a non-issue
Old 08-29-07, 04:44 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

The dealer finished my car in one day. They did the trans update and windows all in one day. Mine was their first car and the factory rep was there. They were working on the second car when I left. Sounds strange to take two weeks to repair your car. I hope it goes well!

Regards,

Craig
Old 08-29-07, 05:03 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I expected some of this, being the pioneer for this fix in our region anyway.

Like I said previously, I hope they're learning from this.

Thanks for the empathy guys; I feel I owe you two a lot for your efforts.
Old 08-29-07, 06:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I expected some of this, being the pioneer for this fix in our region anyway.

Like I said previously, I hope they're learning from this.

Thanks for the empathy guys; I feel I owe you two a lot for your efforts.
If JP learned to fix this issue properly with your car, then the other local owners that might follow with this same issue will owe it to you
Old 08-29-07, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
If JP learned to fix this issue properly with your car, then the other local owners that might follow with this same issue will owe it to you
agree, Burnaby i think you are a great asset to this forum, you are very dedicated, constructive, and all your posts have been very useful. and obviously outside of the forum you have been very persistent in finding fixes to problems and indirectly helping lexus. great job!
Old 08-30-07, 08:16 AM
ragjr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise issue solved on LS460 swb

I have been following this thread for a long time and have also been suffering through the wind noise issue with my car. Well, after much deliberation and test driving the 460L I finally made the leap and went for the L. Wow, what a difference. No more wind noise. I had to take a hit on the trade, but overall it was a fair deal. They have several other customers that have done the same thing. Just thought I would share the information. I was told that the fix on the swb is not really a fix and may reduce the noise, but will not eliminate it in its entirety. You will still know that it is there.
Old 08-30-07, 08:45 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I'm puzzled about the difference between the LWB and SWB as far as the front door design is. I'm assuming they are the same and the only difference is the laminated glass on the L? If that is the case, why would there be a big difference in wind noise? Are the shape of the A pillars or the sidemirrors different that the wind noise doesn't appear in the LWB version?
Old 08-30-07, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I'm puzzled about the difference between the LWB and SWB as far as the front door design is. I'm assuming they are the same and the only difference is the laminated glass on the L? If that is the case, why would there be a big difference in wind noise? Are the shape of the A pillars or the sidemirrors different that the wind noise doesn't appear in the LWB version?
shouldn't be any difference, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fit the laminated glass on the swb, unless they make those separately as well (which i doubt)

interesting post, ragjr2, i also wonder what else could be different. but seems like lwb is the way to go
Old 08-30-07, 09:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I take it you are responding to ragjr2 post above, I assume he's talking about the difference between a SWB LS460 BEFORE the wind noise fix and a LWB LS460L which is newer & likely a more recently built car too, plus equipped with laminated glass (I think he is saying he didn't bother with the fix & traded for the LWB), so it won't be surprising the difference in wind noise would be big.

Otherwise, I would think the only difference between a LWB & a SWB would be the laminated glass, which should make the LWB a little quieter by design.
Old 08-30-07, 04:15 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ragjr2
I have been following this thread for a long time and have also been suffering through the wind noise issue with my car. Well, after much deliberation and test driving the 460L I finally made the leap and went for the L. Wow, what a difference. No more wind noise. I had to take a hit on the trade, but overall it was a fair deal. They have several other customers that have done the same thing. Just thought I would share the information. I was told that the fix on the swb is not really a fix and may reduce the noise, but will not eliminate it in its entirety. You will still know that it is there.
Congrats your your LWB purchase!! I just wanted to mention for others that might read the ongoing comments on this thread that I am fully satisfied with the SWB fix that was completed yesterday on my vehicle. I also re-tested it by driving a LWB after the fix for comparison and found no difference. I do know of another posting on here as well where the wind noise has also been elimininated on a SWB. The various outcomes and opinions might depend on expections, perceptions and/or dealership quality and skill. In the end, it's what makes the buyer happy and if trading in your SWB to get the LWB solved this for you, that is what is most important. I hope they made a good deal for you on the purchase from the trade-in offer.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)