LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07 | 06:31 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Forgot to mention...yes the service foreman said that Lexus prefers to call it an 'upgrade'...LOL.
Old 09-08-07 | 09:13 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry to hear that dimapb. i hoe the field tech can find the problem and help you completely fix the car. it's really sad when dealership tech can't fix a problem but instead make it worse....
I picked up my car yesterday and I'm happy to report that the wind noise is gone. I was not given the specifics of the repair but it took a Lexus Field Tech to come out and fix it. I was told that there will be anew TSIB out soon that addresses more wind noise issues. I'm not sure if it's going to be a new TSIB, but more than likely an expanded existing TSIB. I apologize for not giving you any more details, but that's all I have. It appears that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Dmitry
Old 09-08-07 | 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by dimapb
I picked up my car yesterday and I'm happy to report that the wind noise is gone. I was not given the specifics of the repair but it took a Lexus Field Tech to come out and fix it. I was told that there will be anew TSIB out soon that addresses more wind noise issues. I'm not sure if it's going to be a new TSIB, but more than likely an expanded existing TSIB. I apologize for not giving you any more details, but that's all I have. It appears that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Dmitry
congrats, dmitry. good to hear that your car is back to even better form!
Old 09-08-07 | 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Glad to hear, dmitry
Old 09-09-07 | 05:53 PM
kafkla
Driver School Candidate

Wind noise fixed. This is my first post, thought some LS 460 owners would like to hear something positive about the matter. I purchased a 2007 LS460 (SWB) in May, the 4th LS I've owned since 1991. Noted loud wind noise early after purchase (not after 10,000 miles as some have said on this forum), after the initial excitement of a new car began to wear off and I started paying attention to the differences from my previous LS (2004 430). I was very unhappy with the LS460, which I felt was unacceptably noisy compared to my previous LS's. Wind noise was present at low speed (40 mph) and with any crosswind and became unacceptably loud at high speed. When I scheduled the car for 1000 mile check up in August, I told the service manager about the wind noise. He volunteered that TSB had been released, they had already fixed several other LS's. He ordered parts, took one day to fix. To my knowledge, the fix involved adding insulation in doors (apparently around mirror bases), adjustment of window seals, and new laminated glass on drivers and front passenger doors. There is no perceptible wind noise now to 60-70 mph and only the small amount of noise I would expect of any Lexus or other high end car at higher speed (and road noise, in general, seems less now, perhaps due to the laminated glass). There was no appearance to me that Lexus was or is trying to hide or minimize this problem. In my case the problem was addressed in usual "Lexus" fashion - quickly and completely. Just came back from a road trip, the car is definitely a "keeper".
Old 09-09-07 | 06:15 PM
Atlas
Rookie

Kafkla,

your post is absolutely the most positive post I have seen on Wind Noise. Your dealer acknowledged and fixed the problem in one day, Excellent news for you and everyone else,
Old 09-09-07 | 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

thank you very much for the info and post, kafla, that's really good to hear that lexus has been working hard on fixing the issue and make you a happy customer again

and congrats on the 4th ls!
Old 09-09-07 | 06:30 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kafkla
Wind noise fixed. This is my first post, thought some LS 460 owners would like to hear something positive about the matter. I purchased a 2007 LS460 (SWB) in May, the 4th LS I've owned since 1991. Noted loud wind noise early after purchase (not after 10,000 miles as some have said on this forum), after the initial excitement of a new car began to wear off and I started paying attention to the differences from my previous LS (2004 430). I was very unhappy with the LS460, which I felt was unacceptably noisy compared to my previous LS's. Wind noise was present at low speed (40 mph) and with any crosswind and became unacceptably loud at high speed. When I scheduled the car for 1000 mile check up in August, I told the service manager about the wind noise. He volunteered that TSB had been released, they had already fixed several other LS's. He ordered parts, took one day to fix. To my knowledge, the fix involved adding insulation in doors (apparently around mirror bases), adjustment of window seals, and new laminated glass on drivers and front passenger doors. There is no perceptible wind noise now to 60-70 mph and only the small amount of noise I would expect of any Lexus or other high end car at higher speed (and road noise, in general, seems less now, perhaps due to the laminated glass). There was no appearance to me that Lexus was or is trying to hide or minimize this problem. In my case the problem was addressed in usual "Lexus" fashion - quickly and completely. Just came back from a road trip, the car is definitely a "keeper".

Thanks for the info. My dealer has ordered the parts and I'm just waiting for them to call me up to bring in the car. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-09-07 | 08:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Kafkla, glad to hear you are happy with the good service you got from the dealer regarding the wind noise fix Congratulations & welcome to Club Lexus
Old 09-09-07 | 09:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Welcome to ClubLexus Kafkla, I'd like to echo everyone else and say thanks for posting. Feel free to share any other LS experiences etc. on this forum as well!
Old 09-10-07 | 08:47 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Wind noise fix did not work on my 460. The dealer had my car for several days last week to install the 'upgrade" and it did little to reduce the car's wind noise. Dealer says thats all they can do, so I am contemplating my next step.
Old 09-10-07 | 10:08 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Why would it work on some and not on others. What do you intrepret to be the 'fix.'
Old 09-10-07 | 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by woppenhe
Why would it work on some and not on others. What do you intrepret to be the 'fix.'
imho, it's about the dealership and the tech. it takes good tech to fix a problem, not instructions
Old 09-10-07 | 10:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yeah, I tend to think the difference in skills & experience of the service techs. of different dealerships may make a difference too.
Let's hope they are all doing a good job that addresses the issues at the factory in Japan for the more recently built & future cars, have them test the cars thoroughly before shipping them for delivery.
Old 09-11-07 | 06:29 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghmundt
Wind noise fix did not work on my 460. The dealer had my car for several days last week to install the 'upgrade" and it did little to reduce the car's wind noise. Dealer says thats all they can do, so I am contemplating my next step.
I had the same issue when the dealer applied the fix. As a matter of fact, the wind noise got much more noticeable. I took it back the next day and they called Lexus and requested Lexus Field Tech to come out. He came out the next day and fixed the problem. Now my car is wind-noise free.

Dmitry

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)