LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07 | 09:49 AM
booyabruin
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my 07 LS460 SWB last week and it looks like I have the wind noise problem as well. Does anybody know which SF Bay Area dealers have experience successfully implementing the TSIB fix?
Old 09-29-07 | 11:58 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jettie1767
An update for everyone...I picked up my car today after the dealer did the window 'upgrade'. At highway speeds, the wind noise is still there but not as loud as before. Also, bringing the window down a bit like what others have done doesn't change anything. Wind gusts can still be heard as well. The only thing that changed was that the sound is much less now. I can live with it since I always drive with the radio on and it camouflages the sound.
Jettie, your results describe mine to a tee; I could have written your post, it is so accurate. I can't figure out how or why mdmikeman's car had the window over-travel issue; it just doesn't make any sense. The procedure is so simple, I could have done it blindfolded. According to my dealer, the window size is identical as is the thickness, so it must either be a bad install or .

Last edited by Johnny; 09-30-07 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-29-07 | 05:54 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Jettie, your results describe mine to a tee; I could have written your post, it is so accurate. I can't figure out how or why the mdmikeman's car had the window over-travel issue; it just doesn't make any sense. The procedure is so simple, I could have done it blindfolded. According to my dealer, the window size is identical as is the thickness, so it must either be a bad install or .
Burnaby, I am happy with the fix. I think it is quiet enough at this point. Are you ok with it? Did you get the transmission update as well? Now, that's a good update!
Old 09-29-07 | 11:56 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Burnaby, I am happy with the fix. I think it is quiet enough at this point. Are you ok with it? Did you get the transmission update as well? Now, that's a good update!
Please tell us again what the trans update was.
Old 09-30-07 | 01:43 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

I'm satisfied with the fix, and as I posted previously, the window travel is smoother, there is no longer any perceptible change or reduction in noise (because the noise is audibly reduced by at least 50%) when tapping the window switch lightly, and the passenger window seats in the seal positively, with no cracking sound when opening it. I'm OK with it!

I did not have the transmission update done because I'm not experiencing this phenomena.

And Big Jimm, you can find the TSIB here.
Old 09-30-07 | 10:17 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
Please tell us again what the trans update was.
Big Jimm, the transmission update just eliminated the jerking of the car when you accelerate from a full stop. It's like it is downshifting unnecessarily. With the update, the acceleration is better and it shifts faster.
Old 10-04-07 | 09:12 AM
jay_9080
Driver School Candidate

hi there! it seems that this wind noise on Ls460L & Ls460 bothers a lot of lexus fanatic.well here in middle east, I heard a lot of complaint with regards this matter. it seems that a vehicle such as Ls460L,which is one of the quietest vehicles on the market may tend to draw attention to normal wind turbulence because of the relative absence of other ambient noises.
Theres a technical service bulletin issued by lexus to improved these noises, it include the procedure on how to reduce the noise by installing foam
on certain area of the front doors and the repair kit required for the repair. hence, after the said modification to improve the sealing effect of the door still the noise remain the same. I dont know if you notice on your Ls460 frt doors that when you close the glass all the way up,the frame tends to bend due to excessive force of the power window motor. That's the reason why the noise is reduced when you tapped the switched a little bit down.
l will post again if i can get a copy of that service bulletin.

cheers!!!!
Old 10-04-07 | 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

welcome to clublexus jay! it's good to hear information from more people!
Old 10-04-07 | 09:34 AM
jay_9080
Driver School Candidate

well theres a technical service bulletin available on the lexus dealers but it seems that they just ignored the customer complaint against this windnoise. using that service bulletin they have to dismantle the front doors and apply a sealer & install a foam on specific area of the door frame, yet this repair remain unsuccessfull:thumdn:
try to check your door frames when you roll the glass all the way up. there will be a slight movement on the door frame causing it to bend outward
due to excessive force of power window motor and that's one of the reason why the noise is reduced when you slightly tapped the switch a little bit down when yoou driving.

CHEERS!!!!
Old 10-04-07 | 09:42 AM
jay_9080
Driver School Candidate

ive been with toyota & lexus for a long time and i never see any other car manufacturer who is more genuinely dedicated to its customer. ill try to help all of you when it comes to technical issue on your lexus cars....
Old 10-04-07 | 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

thanks for your effort jay, really appreciate your help here
Old 10-17-07 | 02:55 PM
AustinP
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm a first time owner of a Lexus LS460. This has been an arduous experience to say the least. I finally got 99% of the "infamous high pitched wind noise" fixed by my Lexus dealer in Durham, NC after the third visit. I basically had to perform the trouble shooting in isolating the noise to the driver's mirror. They replaced the two front windows with the laminated glass and additional insulation, which did absolutely nothing to diminish the noise. Finally took the service manager and shop foreman on a ride and the shop foreman isolated the noise to the puddle lamp on the underside of the mirror. This cannot be fixed or re-insulated, etc. He ordered an entire new diver side mirror and that did the trick. We had to drive @ 60mph with the window down and cup his hand under the mirror and the wind noise disappeared. I am just happy the irritating noise is all but gone. There is an occasional wind noise with cross winds--but I can tolerate that. OHHHHHHHHHHH happy days!!

Other than the wind noise problem, best car I've ever owned. Great gas mileage 30 MPG on recent road trip! Haven't ventured into transmission hesitation fix due to reports the gas mileage will suffer after the "fix".

Cheers
Old 10-17-07 | 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

welcome austin and thank you very much for your post! so now we have some more information about the noise -- mirror. if anything that's similar to what i notice, noise from mirror (not excessive in my case)
Old 10-17-07 | 04:46 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Great to hear, Austin. Persistence has paid off. I must have got lucky on the puddle lamp (maybe). I still have some noise, but the big noise is gone for the most part. Crosswinds and gusts are still present, but not that bad. Perhaps this will generate a new TSIB. Peculiar though, isn't it?

Cheers back at you, mate!
Old 10-17-07 | 05:16 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
Am I going to stay in the Lexus family? That is the question.
I have a feeling that you may be venturing toward a Corvette with a Head Up Display.

Big Jimm

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)