LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07 | 11:35 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I saw it and thanks.

Truth is, you are moderator, and a very polite one I might add, on the best site/source for owner information on any Lexus model.
All Canadians are polite; it's what sets us apart. Now bugger off...
Old 01-07-08 | 01:48 PM
Maurice
Driver

As there are more and more 2008 SWB LS460 owner, I am curious to learn if on the current production the Wind Noise has been completely resolved.

Recent purchasers care to comment?
Old 01-07-08 | 03:06 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Maurice
As there are more and more 2008 SWB LS460 owner, I am curious to learn if on the current production the Wind Noise has been completely resolved.

Recent purchasers care to comment?
I've had mine for less than a week, but I've been on the freeways at 70+ for a full hour or more (round trip to Dallas), and we've had pretty bad crosswinds here for the last couple of days.

All I hear is an occasional swishing sound as the air tumbles over the car and past the rearview mirrors, trim, etc. I truly can't call it wind noise, since that to me means a whistling or roaring sound like you'd have if your window were cracked open a tiny bit.

As others have noted, it's partly because the rest of the car is so quiet that any sounds that might otherwise be drowned out are now perceptible.

The sound that I can hear, though, isn't anything I'd consider abnormal or indicative of anything wrong, and I have no plans to have anything done about it unless it gets 'way worse than it is now. To me, it's just a consequence of moving a big object through the air.

That being said, I'd say it's been resolved, at least in my car. BTW, mine was a November 07 build, and came with the laminated side glass.

Old 01-09-08 | 03:37 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

I got my LS460L yesterday and it has the problem .. it is November 2007n made

The noise occure from both front windows (they r doubled already) when they r fully closed, but when i just hit the lowering button little bit the glas moved for about 0.5 CM and the noise completly disappear !!

I'm planning to take it to the dealer on my first 1000Km checkup. Anny one faced same problem ?? is this could be repaired??

Last edited by mfno0od; 01-09-08 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-10-08 | 04:54 PM
Atlas
Rookie

When I drive my car, sure I hear some wind, seems normal, but what does the "Wind Noise" that you are describing sound like?
Old 01-11-08 | 11:07 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mfno0od
I got my LS460L yesterday and it has the problem .. it is November 2007n made

The noise occure from both front windows (they r doubled already) when they r fully closed, but when i just hit the lowering button little bit the glas moved for about 0.5 CM and the noise completly disappear !!

I'm planning to take it to the dealer on my first 1000Km checkup. Anny one faced same problem ?? is this could be repaired??
Yes, I had a similar issue with my LS460L and it has been corrected by the dealer. I still hear some wind noise, but I think it's acceptable.
Old 01-12-08 | 07:12 PM
ccd1698
Driver School Candidate

Cool More wind noise

I just got my car back from County Line Lexus, Hollywood FL. They had my car for 19 days now I have it back there is no soud difference at all, it still sounds like a window is opened a crack what would you suggest i do from here.
Old 01-14-08 | 05:55 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Had something interesting happen yesterday. I slightly opened the window (and I mean slightly) going about 60mph. OMG was the noise loud - much louder than I've ever heard in another car. When closed, I don't have any wind noise problem, thankfully, but it's amazing how much turbulence and noise was created by that small air gap (no physics lectures about Pouiselle's Law, boys).
Old 01-14-08 | 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Had something interesting happen yesterday. I slightly opened the window (and I mean slightly) going about 60mph. OMG was the noise loud - much louder than I've ever heard in another car. When closed, I don't have any wind noise problem, thankfully, but it's amazing how much turbulence and noise was created by that small air gap (no physics lectures about Pouiselle's Law, boys).
that's what happens in my case as well. i hope that means my car is ok.
Old 01-14-08 | 10:16 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

zz and romin, ditto for me as well. But this has to be normal. What do you expect when the air is rushing by at 70-80 mph with a slightly opened window? If my window is closed, I do not hear any unusual wind noise at all. If there is a strong cross wind, I hear a gentle "swishing" type sound, but again this is very normal. My LS430 had a louder sound with cross winds and noise in general was more pronounced on the 430.
Old 01-14-08 | 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
zz and romin, ditto for me as well. But this has to be normal. What do you expect when the air is rushing by at 70-80 mph with a slightly opened window? If my window is closed, I do not hear any unusual wind noise at all. If there is a strong cross wind, I hear a gentle "swishing" type sound, but again this is very normal. My LS430 had a louder sound with cross winds and noise in general was more pronounced on the 430.
some people with wind noise issue said if they lower the window a tiny bit, the noise goes away. they say it has to do with how the window is pushing on the door, something like that. i'd like to see that in action
Old 01-14-08 | 12:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wasn't there some discussion about perhaps this (strong rushing wind noise when windows are down) is due to the aerodynamic styling of the vehicle, the way air moves around it vis a vis low drag coefficient? So long as the window lower/seal issue is not there, then the car should be fine IIRC...

Good luck to those getting their cars repaired, if they need it. If it hasn't worked, not sure maybe going to another dealer if it's very severe, or checking the efficacy of the actual repair...
Old 01-14-08 | 01:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Just for what it's worth, the above quote could be me, EXACTLY. I also had a 430 that I traded AFTER hearing about the wind noise issue...so I listened carefully to it before listening carefully to what became my new LS460.
Old 01-14-08 | 02:49 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
some people with wind noise issue said if they lower the window a tiny bit, the noise goes away. they say it has to do with how the window is pushing on the door, something like that. i'd like to see that in action

I noticed that when i close the window( Full close ) it look like the glass is pushing agaist the door ( towards outside) and the down sealing ( rubbers )from outside moves up little( like 2mm ) and thats when i hear the Shhhhhh noise .. Its not so loud ,, this noise are coming from the wind when it hits the side Mirrors and been reflected by them to the Sealing between the door and the Glass ..

I think lexus should think about the shape of the side mirrors and make it connected to the door as it was in the old models of LS to avoid trublace caused by them

Last edited by mfno0od; 01-14-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-14-08 | 02:51 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

Originally Posted by dimapb
Yes, I had a similar issue with my LS460L and it has been corrected by the dealer. I still hear some wind noise, but I think it's acceptable.
can u tell me what were the parts been changed ??

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)