LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08 | 03:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by mfno0od
I noticed that when i close the window( Full close ) it look like the glass is pushing agaist the door ( towards outside) and the down sealing ( rubbers )from outside moves up little( like 2mm ) and thats when i hear the Shhhhhh noise .. Its not so loud ,, this noise are coming from the wind when it hits the side Mirrors and been reflected by them to the Sealing between the door and the Glass ..

I think lexus should think about the shape of the side mirrors and make it connected to the door as it was in the old models of LS to avoid trublace caused by them
i tried it before, close the windows with the door open. what i saw is that the window forced the door (top part) to curve more inward (towards the car). so i suppose with the door closed, it should help to push the door against the body of the car. at least that's on my car.
Old 01-14-08 | 05:44 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
(no physics lectures about Pouiselle's Law, boys).
Darn, and I was just about to go there...

Originally Posted by rominl
some people with wind noise issue said if they lower the window a tiny bit, the noise goes away. they say it has to do with how the window is pushing on the door, something like that. i'd like to see that in action
Yes, but that phenomena goes away after "The FIX"...
Old 01-14-08 | 05:50 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i tried it before, close the windows with the door open. what i saw is that the window forced the door (top part) to curve more inward (towards the car). so i suppose with the door closed, it should help to push the door against the body of the car. at least that's on my car.
I'd like to see Lexus implement a window closing mechanism similar to M-B's cars, where the glass changes direction slightly before finally nesting securely into the seal, instead of ploughing the darn thing into the door frame as it does now. Pretty sharp concept, but I'm sure it's not cheap...
Old 01-14-08 | 05:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Darn, and I was just about to go there...

Yes, but that phenomena goes away after "The FIX"...
So your car is holding up well w.r.t. wind noise after the fix by JP ?

BTW, you went to Loughheed Mall Saturday morning right ?
Old 01-14-08 | 05:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robarapta
So your car is holding up well w.r.t. wind noise after the fix by JP ?

BTW, you went to Loughheed Mall Saturday morning right ?
The fix is holding up fine, and darn, you caught me...

I hope I was wearing my finest James Bond tux...
Old 01-14-08 | 07:15 PM
june
Rookie

Default Wind Noise from the front side windows

I just joined Club Lexus. I have a 2007 LS460 Silver on Silver with Chrome Wheels. This is my first time adding a posting.
I have been reading the posting on the LS460 for about 6 months. I will be taking my LS460 in for the free 5,000 servicing and I will ask Lexus to fix the Wind Noise from the front side windows, (NV009-07) and the Wind Noise from the Mirror Base (NV003-07). Also to do the Transmission Control Module fix. (TC009-07).

Has any one had this repair done at Lexus of Thousand Oaks, Oxnard or
Glendale In Southern California? Were you pleased with the work?
Old 01-14-08 | 09:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL, best wishes for your repair experience on your 2007 LS 460. Other CL members on here may add their experiences with the SoCal dealerships you mentioned...

I'm guessing they will be adding laminated glass to your front windows...and the software transmission update.

Last edited by encore888; 01-14-08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-21-08 | 02:54 PM
ja460
Driver School Candidate

Hello All, New to this forum but am a current owner of a new 460 and a 430 (will probably sale). I DO have the wind noise from the mirrors. It is a buffeting sound that comes and goes from approximately 25 mph up to higher speeds, 80 mph. I brought this to the attention of the sales person before signing and also had a tech ride with me. Of course the explanation was, it's only wind noise caused by the movement of wind. This I know but it is not normal. I drove another 460 and it DID NOT have the noise. I plan to go to the dealer tomorrow and ask what they are going to do. And yes I am particular, but with a car of the caliber I should not be hearing this type of noise.
Old 01-21-08 | 03:36 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

I think I would have held off buying it until they fixed the noise...

Craig
Old 01-21-08 | 03:43 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

This is a weird phenomena. I test drove a brand new '08 LS460 2 days ago. Drove it up to 100MPH, twice, and I could not detect any unusual wind noise. It sounded exactly like my LS430, and that car is quiet at highway speed. Why does it occur on some cars, and not on others???
Old 01-28-08 | 03:06 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

I have LS460L with wind noise issues. It has been repaired twice already and the noise came back louder than before. I took it to the dealership this morning. They test drove the car and verified that I'm not making it up
Service manager placed a call to FSR and they are coming out next Wednesday. I also overheard SM mention BUY BACK to Lexus.
We shell see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

BTW... I also test drove 2008 LS460L and it was wind noise free.
Old 01-28-08 | 03:14 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Default wind noise

My wife and I just returned from a trip in my 07LS460. She said I had wind noise. I also think it is much louder than my 04 LS was, but am not on the highway much and just turn the radio up. The car just turned 8,000 miles. Could it be that the noise just now showed-up or has it been there since day one? The car was built in May07.
Old 01-28-08 | 03:37 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
My wife and I just returned from a trip in my 07LS460. She said I had wind noise. I also think it is much louder than my 04 LS was, but am not on the highway much and just turn the radio up. The car just turned 8,000 miles. Could it be that the noise just now showed-up or has it been there since day one? The car was built in May07.
My car was build Nov 2006. I didn't notice any wind noise initially and was very impressed by how quite the car was. A few months down the road, I started hearing the noise and it kept getting louder. I took it to the dealer and they did something, which made the noise even worth. I took it back the next morning and they had Lexus rep come out to take care of it. When I picked up the car, it still had some wind noise, but it was something I could live with. Lately, it's been getting louder and louder. I finally got tired of it and took it back to the dealer this morning. They confirmed that the noise is there and called Lexus FSR. He's coming out next Wednesday. SM from my dealership also mentioned that he's heard from someone that the noise may never be fixed as the HOOD design is what's causing it. When i asked why on some cars and not others, he could not explain.
Old 01-28-08 | 07:29 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
I have an 07 LS460. I had the TSIB performed by having the laminated glass installed on the front side windows and extra insulation. It has totally cured my wind noise. No more wind noise at 45 MPH. It is much quieter going 85 MPH too.
Old 01-29-08 | 12:00 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Maybe duck tape is the answer!!

Big Jimm

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)