LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 12:18 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
First oil change? How long have you had the LS? I kill 10,000 miles in a couple months. It seems like youve been around here for a while.
LOL. Yeah, I've been hanging out awhile, but I've only had the LS for 2 months now. I was also on CL a year ago when I had an IS350, but that didn't last long.

Old 03-06-08, 01:21 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onepointon
Miketx - Those holes should have a spacer in them. I worked on a vehicle that had them missing the other day.

I have kind of avoided this thread because I dont see a lot of these issues, and dont want to give out misinformation. I do know that those plugs missing will contribute to wind noise. I would say if you take it to the dealer, they should order you some new ones under warranty. Read: should.
What exactly are you referring to?
Old 03-06-08, 02:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

post 632-633
Old 03-06-08, 03:05 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
What exactly are you referring to?
as rominl mentioned 632, 633 but also review through 635.
Old 03-08-08, 03:10 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it fair to say this issue only plagues 2007 models?
Old 03-08-08, 06:11 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Belmont
So is it fair to say this issue only plagues 2007 models?
I don't know that that's been firmly established. But '08 models all come with the laminated side glass on driver's and passenger's sides, which was one of the main "fixes" applied to '07's with the wind noise problem.

AFAIK, no '08 owners have complained about the noise. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will step up and correct me.

Old 03-09-08, 07:59 AM
Atlas
Rookie

Default Wind Noise

Nope, I have a 2008, got it early January, has laminated glass, has wind noise
Old 03-09-08, 09:24 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Atlas
Nope, I have a 2008, got it early January, has laminated glass, has wind noise
Well, dang.

Old 03-09-08, 10:51 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have read at least a few complaints from '08 owners on the various forums.
From what I've read, I don't think Lexus has the problem solved yet, and as others have mentioned, it will probably only occur when they re-design the mirrors and the hood profile, perhaps in next year's model.
Old 03-09-08, 06:41 PM
ja460
Driver School Candidate

I also have an 08 LS460 purchased in January. Bad wind noise around mirror/A pillar. Now have Lexus Corp involved. Not a satisfied customer. FWIW, had a 430, no wind noise and also owned several other Lexus products that we were completely satisfied with.
Old 03-09-08, 08:08 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Boy, I wish we could get a baseline on what people mean when they say they have wind noise.

Ja460, for example, refers to wind noise around the mirror and A-pillar. Ja, do you mean the sound of air turbulence as it streams around the mirror? Or do you mean what I would call wind noise, which is like a window isn't closed or sealed well?

If you mean the turbulence - and I've seen lots of references to turbulence in this thread - I've had that with every car I've owned that was quiet enough not to mask it. That rearview mirror is hanging out there in the air stream, and as aerodynamic as they try to make them, they will make some noise as the air rushes and tumbles past them at speed.

I don't want to make anybody mad, but if you're hearing that and expecting a fix, you might be waiting until something besides outside rearview mirrors comes along.

Okay, let the flaming begin ...

Old 03-09-08, 08:17 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I asked a guy in the Lexus Service area that I've gotten to know over the last 10 years, and, well, I think he has always been pretty honest with me. He has helped me out of a number of situations and I have no reason to doubt him. I asked him about this last Friday, just before making my decision to buy, and he mentioned the new glass and some additional...grrr...insulation (?) in the door. I believe there was also one other thing they had done to the driver side door and window area, but can't recall. He said that fixed the issue. After 2 days of driving, I've had no problems with wind noise. I'll certainly be on the "listen" the next few days. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-09-08, 09:29 PM
JKarger
Rookie

@ TX Mike

Coming from a S class I can tell you that the wind noise is very noticable. Would I say can live with it, well I have no choice. But to say that it is normal because the car is quieter doesn't make since that defeats the reason behind a quiet cab just so you hear another noise. All I am saying is that this is the Lexus FLAGSHIP car the comparison to the S class and the 7 series which do not have the same wind noises. Yes it is a beautiful car with great features but to have the simplest of problems slip through the cracks is a very bad choice of part of Lexus. Seems that it is effecting at least a small percentage if not more of potentail buyers that will not purchase because of it.

Maybe its my ignorance but it would behoove them to remedy the situation before it gets furter into the meanstreams knowledge or the future clients may not be looking to purchase droping the resale value on all existing 07 and 08's.

Just me 2 cents

Jason
Old 03-09-08, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JKarger
@ TX Mike

Coming from a S class I can tell you that the wind noise is very noticable. Would I say can live with it, well I have no choice. But to say that it is normal because the car is quieter doesn't make since that defeats the reason behind a quiet cab just so you hear another noise. All I am saying is that this is the Lexus FLAGSHIP car the comparison to the S class and the 7 series which do not have the same wind noises. Yes it is a beautiful car with great features but to have the simplest of problems slip through the cracks is a very bad choice of part of Lexus. Seems that it is effecting at least a small percentage if not more of potentail buyers that will not purchase because of it.

Maybe its my ignorance but it would behoove them to remedy the situation before it gets furter into the meanstreams knowledge or the future clients may not be looking to purchase droping the resale value on all existing 07 and 08's.

Just me 2 cents

Jason
i just test drove the s550 and 750 last weekend. all i can say is i heard more engine noise and road noise on both cars than the ls460. but yes, less wind noise. however does that mean the ls460 has more wind noise, or coz' s and 7 have more road noise? i don't know

after all, the ls460 and the s class has the same interior noise level. 7 series is worse (and same comment from my test drive)
Old 03-10-08, 07:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Boy, I wish we could get a baseline on what people mean when they say they have wind noise.

Ja460, for example, refers to wind noise around the mirror and A-pillar. Ja, do you mean the sound of air turbulence as it streams around the mirror? Or do you mean what I would call wind noise, which is like a window isn't closed or sealed well?

If you mean the turbulence - and I've seen lots of references to turbulence in this thread - I've had that with every car I've owned that was quiet enough not to mask it. That rearview mirror is hanging out there in the air stream, and as aerodynamic as they try to make them, they will make some noise as the air rushes and tumbles past them at speed.

I don't want to make anybody mad, but if you're hearing that and expecting a fix, you might be waiting until something besides outside rearview mirrors comes along.

Okay, let the flaming begin ...

Owners here are not the only people mentioning wind noise, and even reviewers, links below, mention it and they are in the car an hour or day maybe compared to an owner who hears it every day and would then likely begin to complain about it hearing it every day.

Looks as though Lexus has made effort given the TSIB out, but perhaps need to spend more time on the subject if 08 owners are also complaining with the otherwise "fix" already done on their 08 and still complaining.

Actually, since you discovered through this thread you are missing underbody plugs you should be one of the people complaining about excess noise, including wind noise, you can hear inside the car; yet, for some reason you are not able to hear what would be present and audible when missing those plugs

"...at motorway speeds wind noise is the only sound to disturb the peace, while the automatic air-suspension is in its element soaking up any bumps. However, it's less accomplished in town, struggling to cope with smaller potholes and imperfections."
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi.../lexus_ls.html

"Similarly, it is only because it is so quiet and refined, that I noticed an occasional odd puff of wind noise from the front of the driver's door, around the door mirror. But I suppose that is being really picky."
http://www.driveblog.co.uk/files/c68...241124-52.html

"At 80 mph, it's the sound of silence inside the cozy cabin, except for a hint of wind noise around the front pillars."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...0.4d5fbb7.html

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)