LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read a few posts above yours, and you have the answer.

Welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 07-11-07, 09:30 AM
fteiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise redux

This sounds awful! I expected to have a car without probs. My Avalon was MUCH quieter. I thought I had read everything about this car but apparently, not enough. I would not have bought it had I read about these problems. My avalon was never in the shop for anything. And now I live 800 miles from a dealer.
Old 07-11-07, 11:17 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, Mallory. Hope the wait isn't too difficult, I assume you got a loaner car?

Originally Posted by fteiii
Bought new LS460L in Albu, NM. With 100 miles on od, drove it home to NW WY. 1000 miles. NO lie: 30.9 mpg from Raton NM to Cheyenne WY on I-25 driving 75-80 mph with stop and go thru denver! Unreal. And yes there is significant wind noise, even more so on the driver's side. How did their engineers let this get by??? Other than that it is a spectacular car. I'm 6'6" and have never been this comfy in a car. And it's quick! Any idea what the fix to the noise is??
Welcome to CL!!! Glad you enjoy your vehicle. Yes, a fix for the wind noise is being tested as we speak. Please don't get too bothered by the reports of problems unless you actually experience them; a number of new LS models have had first-year issues but not all have them.
Old 07-11-07, 01:53 PM
Leza2279
Driver School Candidate

Default Windnoise Problem Response from Newport Lexus

I am in a state of shock.
I just got finished a phone discussion with the Service Manager of Newport Lexus and was told that there is NO fix for the wind noise problem for the LS460. The service manager stated that they had a meeting with the Lexus district manager yesterday and he officially advised that Lexus has tried a number of fixes for the wind noise issue and none of them was successful - and that included replacing the windows and molding. After expressing my dissatisfaction, I was told to take the matter up with Lexus corporate.
Has anyone been told something different??? Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Old 07-11-07, 02:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL, Leza2279.

It's troubling to hear that from Newport Lexus, and yet Mallory has reported of a fix in progress on vehicles back east. Clearly there is a discontinuity here.

Mallory and Craig B have scheduled appointments for wind noise fixes this July, maybe we should wait (frustrating I know) and see how they work out, so as to independently confirm or disconfirm the efficacy of any wind noise fix.
Old 07-11-07, 04:35 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got off the phone with my service advisor. The tire rim seal I suspected was not. I got tired of putting air in the tire twice a week, and this past Monday changed it out with the spare. The leak which they couldn't trace turned out to be a very visible nail puncture on the corner of the tire casing - very bad spot. Took it in and rubbed it in their faces a bit, and after profuse apologies said they would replace it under warranty - 'nuff said. At the same time as I dropped the tire off, I asked if they had inquired with Lexus about the wind noise issue that I raised at my 1,000mi service - puzzled looks all around. OK, one more chance. I briefed them painfully and pointed them to this website for further indoctrination.

So during the aforementioned phone call, reference was also made to the wind noise; they told me that they would order the mirror kit as described in the TSIB, yada, yada. I said hold off until the US side matter is resolved as there may be quite a difference in time required to do everything - they only need the car for two hours to modify the mirrors, and I would prefer not coming back a second time for a 2-3 day appointment. I don't care if it takes six months to get this resolved as long as there is a proven solution that emenates from the above owners' experience. Needless to say, thanks guys - you know who you are.
Old 07-11-07, 04:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thank you Mallory for your updates, evidently you are the first to share this latest, somewhat more officially sanctioned wind noise fix with us. Hopefully the Lexus dealer themselves will test drive the vehicle and determine the efficacy of their repairs as well.

I wonder if perhaps this whole wind noise issue may have been a) a production error or b) something to do with the redesign of the window seals (for the LS 460, where they slow as they approach closing, etc.); perhaps the new design resulted in an added complexity leading to improper seals.
Old 07-11-07, 04:54 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Mallory, are they updating the transmission software as well? My tech is on vacation, so I couldn't ask him today. Good luck with the repair!

Burnaby, don't waste your time with the mirror repair. I've already had that done and it did not solve the wind noise problem.

My car is scheduled for July 24th for the same thing they're doing to Mallory's
car. I don't think Lexus would be going to the trouble if it's not going to fix the problem in my opinion. I also don't know why some dealers are playing dumb on the wind noise issue. I've complained about my wind noise since I bought the car last Thanksgiving. So it's not like Lexus hasn't heard of the problem...

Craig
Old 07-11-07, 05:38 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks! Someone posted they had their software updated.

Craig
Old 07-11-07, 07:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Since they are replacing the windows with the wind noise fix, is it safe to assume that ALL 2008 LS460's including the SWB version will come with the laminated glass as standard ?
Old 07-11-07, 08:22 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

"No software update for LS460 at this time." (Regarding transmission update)

I lucked out today and had the transmission software update installed. I asked about it when in for servicing. They looked into it and discovered it was just issued yesterday. It is TC009-07 according to my service statement.
Old 07-11-07, 11:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Burnaby, don't waste your time with the mirror repair. I've already had that done and it did not solve the wind noise problem.
That's precisely why I told them to hold off, and to educate themselves here - I guess not many take the initiative to find out more about what is being said about their cars; lack of motivation I suspect. Weird that the mirror TSIB is still out there. The noise has been progressing as I approach 10,000mi. My wife was commenting on it last night, and as I'm certain you'll concur, once your ear latches on to something, it doesn't let go easy. Needless to say, they haven't heard the last of me...

Still, in spite of this, I like this frickin car...
Old 07-12-07, 06:08 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This has been an interesting thread. I am waiting for the results of this "fix" to be posted. Please post the results of your "fix" after you have had a chance to drive the car for a while. Hoping for success and hoping they have re-designed whatever is causing this problem in the '08 models.
Old 07-12-07, 06:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wind noise is a mixed bag because for some people it works, and for some people it has not. Really just depends- on what, I am not sure.

For those who have had success, it is supposed to cut down on 70-80% of the wind noise and owners are very pleased. The other half are still left out in the cold.

The majority of this problem is a defect in the design of the car and the air flow. The insulating will help a lot, but from what I understand...this is just part of how the LS 460 was (accidentally) designed.
Old 07-12-07, 01:14 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is in the shop as you read this for the wind noise fix. I'm driving a loaner ES-350

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)