LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 02:16 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Luxofreak, let us know if they were able to get rid of the wind noise. How long do they say the repair is going to take? They told me only one full day.

Good luck!

Craig
Old 07-12-07, 04:03 PM
Atlas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find all of this very disturbing. I placed an order for a 2008 Special Order LS 460 SWB that will allegedly arrive in October. Reading about the wind noise problems with absolutely no evidence of a fix is giving me second thoughts on buying this car. I have brought the wind noise issue up at the dealership and they all pleaded ignorance about the topic, never heard of it. So, when my car shows up, I am supposing they will let me test drive it before I pay for it. If I hear the wind noise, should I not accept the car until they fix it? Point is, will they fix the car eventhough I haven't actually paid for it,or do you think they will say, "see ya later" and put the car on the lot and sell it?
Old 07-12-07, 04:06 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the '08 model will have the problem, but it's always good to test drive it first, above 50mph.

There is a fix, and it's being done to my car as you read this. I'll post a follow up as soon as I get the car back. It should take 1 or 2 days.
Old 07-12-07, 04:19 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

I have a LS460 built in May, 2007. I have no (none) wind noise. The tech at my dealer told me the mirror noise problem was fixed prior to my car being built (he could tell by the serial number)--maybe the same holds true on the wind noise--I have looked at the front window glass and it is not the laminated as in the 460L. He did the trans update and it made a difference. I would think the 08s will be fine.
Old 07-12-07, 05:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Ditto here. My SWB was built in May. Absolutely no wind noise (at least not up to 85 MPH). Not only that, but no squeaks, rattles, or any other noise that's not supposed to be there.
Old 07-12-07, 07:44 PM
rdrtkd
Driver School Candidate

My car was in for service today.

My LS460 has the telios wheels which were put on two weeks after I bought the car (i bought the car in june). Prior to the replacement of the stock wheels, the ride was fine. After the wheels were replaced I noticed that the rear of the car had a small but noticeable "bumpy" feel to it.

I asked the service advisor to check the wind noise that I hear when I have the car on the highway. They called me later in the day and told me that they took the car on a test drive to determine the cause of the "bumpy" feel. They indicated that the "bumpy" feel was probably due to the balancing of the tires.

On the test drive, they did hear the noise caused by the wind. They told me that two Japanese Lexus engineers had been at the dealership for the last couple days. The engineers confirmed that a technical bulletin has/will be issued and they were able to print the preliminary bulletin for my service department. My service department will be ordering the parts as identified by that bulletin and will schedule an appt for me once the parts arrive. They indicated that the fix would replace the windows with the LS 460L style windows (laminated). They said it would only take a day to fix.

This information seems consistent with the information in this thread. It will be interesting to hear the results from others who are or will be having this issue resolved.
Old 07-12-07, 07:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to CL, rdrtkd!! Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 07-12-07, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I don't understand why some LS460's are not having the issue while others are when they both have unlaminated side windows.
Old 07-12-07, 08:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't understand why some LS460's are not having the issue while others are when they both have unlaminated side windows.
I think some of those with the SWB (unlaminated) who have no complaints about wind noises are probably those who got the car more recently ? . . .
Old 07-12-07, 08:44 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think some of those with the SWB (unlaminated) who have no complaints about wind noises are probably those who got the car more recently ? . . .
I took delivery on Dec 26 and have only noticed any wind noise a couple of times when driving in a heavy cross-wind.
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (08-02-24)
Old 07-12-07, 09:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
So why is the 'fix' including putting laminated glass in? What was the fix for the more recent ones?
Old 07-13-07, 02:59 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

The most recent ones are getting the laminated glass installed now. The most recent cars that were just produced without laminated glass say they don't have wind noise. It's confusing to say the least...

Craig
Old 07-13-07, 06:58 AM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

So why is the 'fix' including putting laminated glass in? What was the fix for the more recent ones?

My guess is the laminated glass simply masks the wind noise. The fix on the recently built cars was probably to eliminate the noise in the first place.
Old 07-13-07, 08:53 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mallory, where is that extra insulation being applied?
Old 07-13-07, 09:12 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
They say extra insulation but I believe it is new window seals. The parts department order the glass and Lexus sent the window seal kit and kit for mirriors, this is why some owners may have had a repair done by their dealer but it was not the offical Lexus repair unless Lexus sent the dealer the kit the kit can not be ordered by parts at this time.
I will have my car back today. I will post the results and all info on my paper work.
Thank you Mallory for keeping us informed. My dealer's service/parts department is eagerly waiting to order this "repair kit" as soon as it is available. My dealer also acknowledges the wind noise problem and is eager to fix my car along with at least 6 other LS460s.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)