LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So, what does the LS460 owner do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 01:28 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a 460 owner, but let me chime in here. It is a proven stat that people with a 4 yr college degree (not even mentioning higher degrees) earn 70% more during a lifespan than their non-degree counterparts (when you account for gender its even more of a factor [males make more]).

You can always go part time at a community college and transfer (part-time) into a legit 4 yr college. I know friends with B.A. and B.S.s' from prestigious undergrad colleges that can't even find a job. In todays U.S. job recruitment market, a B.A./B.S. is almost a mandatory requirement for any decent paying job.

*Thank GOD I'm not marriage w/ no kids*

GL man, I hope all turns for the better. (My stocks and mutual funds included )
Old 01-22-08, 05:57 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevil
70% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Actually, I believe the number is closer to 76.83%.
Old 01-22-08, 08:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Actually, I believe the number is closer to 76.83%.
nope, that was in 2005. it goes up 1.2345% this year and will be increasing in coming years.
Old 01-22-08, 08:24 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Should have went to school to have something to fall back on.
... i hope you have something in the bank to fall back on
Old 01-22-08, 09:22 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just came across this thread and i just want to point out that maybe a shift in perspective is in order. instead of figuring out what it takes to buy a car, why not shift your perspective and find something that you REALLY like doing and if you do it well enough, the car will naturally come later.

Someone posted about running SEO work online. I kind of do the same thing and what drives me is not the want to purchase a new car but the desire to fill a need that many consumers want out there - all i do is point them in the right direction and the side effect is the funds that it generates.

just my off the cuff thoughts.
Old 01-22-08, 10:38 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
i just came across this thread and i just want to point out that maybe a shift in perspective is in order. instead of figuring out what it takes to buy a car, why not shift your perspective and find something that you REALLY like doing and if you do it well enough, the car will naturally come later.

Someone posted about running SEO work online. I kind of do the same thing and what drives me is not the want to purchase a new car but the desire to fill a need that many consumers want out there - all i do is point them in the right direction and the side effect is the funds that it generates.

just my off the cuff thoughts.

What I really like to do is custom paint jobs and automotive refinishing, but that will NEVER get me an LS. I got into the mortgage business because you can make money orginating. I like what I do, but if I could make the same amount of money painting and restoring, I would much rather be doing that.
Anyhow, I'm done with this thread. I just wanted a little feedback from
other CL members to get their perspective and I Thank you for all of your thoughts and ideas Guys!!!
Old 01-22-08, 10:56 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely off topic, but what will today's prime rate cut do for you, and where will 30 and 15 year fixed rates end up in the near future?
Old 01-23-08, 04:19 AM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by luxury1
It is not too late to get a college education. You are shooting yourself in the foot by not having it because it disqualifies you for so many of the better paying positions. I know it will be hard and expensive but you need to do it.

I manage a portfolio for a hedge fund. If you want to get into this industry and are thinking of getting a degree for this reason; don’t bother, unless you are going to a very top tear school.(Ivey League and etc). Your time would be better spent working your way up from the bottom. In this industry a degree from a mediocre school (especially masters & phd) can actually weigh against you.
Old 01-23-08, 05:40 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vollandt
I manage a portfolio for a hedge fund. If you want to get into this industry and are thinking of getting a degree for this reason; don’t bother, unless you are going to a very top tear school.(Ivey League and etc). Your time would be better spent working your way up from the bottom. In this industry a degree from a mediocre school (especially masters & phd) can actually weigh against you.
I was going to get my MBA but as you said, unless you go to a very prestigious school, it really does nothing for you. Now as far as getting goes, unless you have an in at a company, you are ruled out as a candidate with out at least a 4 year degree. The original poster is in a financial crunch and going back to college could be difficult but I think it would be worthwile. In any case he has a LS430 and it is a superb car so I wouldn't fret getting a LS460. I had a 430 before this 460 and wouldn't consider getting a 460 if my life were unstable.
Old 01-23-08, 09:08 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Completely off topic, but what will today's prime rate cut do for you, and where will 30 and 15 year fixed rates end up in the near future?
Well, with the feds making a 3/4 cut yesterday, I'm willing to bet that rates for a 30yr. will go down to the mid 4's and 15 yr's will go to the high 3's. Maybe I might just stick around and get that 460 after things pick up again
Old 01-23-08, 11:30 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who spent his whole career in the business world, I can't agree that an advanced degree from anything but the top schools is worthless.

I don't care if the Masters or PhD was from some podunk college, it was always worth something. Most employers figure a degree of any kind is valuable, and that a postgraduate degree tells you two things about an applicant: 1.) He has acquired some extra knowledge he wouldn't otherwise have, and 2.) He has the drive, discipline and ambition to pursue a postgrad degree.

Sure a Masters or PhD from Wharton or Harvard is generally viewed with more reverence, but any advanced degree is worth money in your pocket.

Old 01-23-08, 11:55 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
As someone who spent his whole career in the business world, I can't agree that an advanced degree from anything but the top schools is worthless.

I don't care if the Masters or PhD was from some podunk college, it was always worth something. Most employers figure a degree of any kind is valuable, and that a postgraduate degree tells you two things about an applicant: 1.) He has acquired some extra knowledge he wouldn't otherwise have, and 2.) He has the drive, discipline and ambition to pursue a postgrad degree.

Sure a Masters or PhD from Wharton or Harvard is generally viewed with more reverence, but any advanced degree is worth money in your pocket.

Couldnt agree with ya more.
Old 01-23-08, 01:47 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

What can I say, the NYC finance and TX business worlds are very different. There are basically two ways of getting into a Wall Street job, 1) as an MBA associate, (unless you are a top graduate from a top school, you have zero chance). Or 2) through the back door, a temp job, working in the back office perhaps, excel, any way you can, but you’ll have to work your way up from here. But once your foot is in the door, and your career begins to get established, it comes down to your reputation and experience and not your degree (or lack there of).

Now, having said this, I have seen cases where down the road a degree can even hurt you. We were considering a candidate for a top level management position last year. This person had a good reputation on the street, but had gotten his PhD from a third tear school 10 years ago. This called into question his judgment on this. Questions were raised like: why would he bother to do this? Couldn’t he get into a better school? We ended up hiring the guy in the end, but his third tear PhD degree almost killed it.
Old 01-25-08, 07:34 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you say you are who you are, than I have some advise IMHO. A degree is a piece of paper you can wipe your buttocks with unless you can make it to CEO at 45. It's always about the person and what drive you have to fill a need and do it better than the rest.

In most corporations only the top 3 people make any kind of money not to worry about money, the rest are able to acuire a lot to survive that life systle and they owe up the azz. The small to medium size companies only one person makes any kind of real money.

Risk = rewards.....

If you like to paint cars than rent a shop or better yet buy a shop. Train 6 to a dozen people to paint the best cars in the nation. The body shop business is competitive. You would have to carve out a niche of being the BEST custom painters in the surrounding area and do it quickly to make a profit. You would have to show your work at all the finest car shows and get your work into magazines. Do a sports celebs car and your golden, even get a reality show.

You have to believe in your self, poses the traits of successful people, honesty and reliability and you must make right decisions.

You want to own a 460 cash not take out a loan.
Old 01-25-08, 05:32 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do all of you real estate people have 460's?

Oh right, none of you are in Florida.

Well I'm only keeping my RX300 now, so that in a few years when I graduate college I can trade it in to get a tiny discount on an ls600h. Yea, it will probably be outdated, but I still want one.

Quick Reply: So, what does the LS460 owner do for a living?