LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

free car washes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 11:13 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am a car detailer and of all the dealership wash, honestly i have yet to find one that is good. those auto wash is throw out automatically, you just can't use it (machine compared to human? you gotta be kidding me).

with human wash, i always notice they use the same cloths over and over again from car to car. that's never "allowed", period. there is a reason why i have a bucket in the garage with 20-30 cloths in it, coz' you wipe it and it's done. it can't be used on another car again, you just increase the chances for swirls
I know you're right, Rom - but for a lot of us, it's a matter of practicality. A detail job around here costs $60-100, depending on what you have done, and if you go the full route, it can flatten your wallet. To do that every 5 days or so would be deadly to my checking account, but I do have to get the car cleaned up about that often.

So, for the "everyday" washes, we have 2 choices - do it ourselves or pay someone else to do it. Even if I do it myself, I find it's hard to avoid a swirl or surface scratch caused by a piece of grit on your cloth (or on the car itself). And I'm not as young as I used to be, so getting out and washing my car is getting to be less and less attractive.

Having it done can cost $12-20, depending on where you go, but having the dealer do it is free. In either case, there's some risk of minor paint damage. But I'd expect the dealer to be a little more careful than some mass-production car wash full of illegal aliens, and washing everything from cars to monster trucks to company vans.

So, I guess everything is a compromise, and I've had good luck with dealer washes so far. And while I like a nice-looking car as much as anyone, it's not a show car.

No offense to detailers at all.

Old 01-27-08, 12:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha totally understand the compromise part, i have fair share of clients in that state. it's just about time and money after all.

think of it this way, you have the smoky granite, that hides everything so much better
Old 01-27-08, 01:16 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

think of it this way, you have the smoky granite, that hides everything so much better [/QUOTE]

got that right!.....haven't washed my car in 3 weeks.....now its just starting to show dirt.....i love this smoky gray color!!!

and believe it or not, i did not pick this color....i went into the dealer and ask them what car had what options.....this color happened to have the options that i wanted.....and you wanna hear the most crazy part?.........................................................................................................

i didn't even test drive the car when i bought it

stupid or brave? you make the call........
Old 01-27-08, 01:25 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Optimum No Rinsse for my weekly car wash. I have maintained a completely swirl-free finish while only using about 2-3 gallons of water per wash. It only takes me about 15-20 minutes to completely wash and dry my car.

Personally, I enjoy the process. Even if I didn't enjoy the process, it would take me 15 minutes each way just to drive to the local dealer for their "free" car wash and at least 20 minutes for them to complete the wash. My time is too valuable. If I didn't want to wash it myself, I would hire a mobile detailer for a quick wash at $50 per wash.

Also...among my 3 local dealers...I have not seen the use of good wash techniques or basic equipment that would reduce the chances of swirling. I think dealers are well equipped to service and repair our cars. However, their primary goal is not to properly wash them....especially wash them for free. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old 01-27-08, 03:32 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
However, their primary goal is not to properly wash them....especially wash them for free. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Just want to make one little point - those washes HAVE been paid for, the way I look at it. Just like the free coffee, soft drinks, muffins and apples ... I paid $70k for them (oh, and I got a car to go along with them. )

Old 01-27-08, 07:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I would never allow the dealer to wash my car, either by hand or by machine. Maybe if I personally knew the guy who would wash it by hand and knew he would do it properly I would allow the dealer to wash it. Otherwise, I'd rather drive it dirty until I can wash it myself.