LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

free car washes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 08:04 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free car washes

how many of your guys out there get free car washes from your lexus dealer?

Reason I ask is not because this was a huge selling point, but it was nice and I was looking forward to that, plus since I was going to be at the dealer getting my car wash I figured I could get some work done at the same time.

Well I have now been twice to the dealer to try and get the elusive car wash, first time was a 80 minute wait and this morning before the place opened up there were so many cars waiting that I couldn't see the sign that tells you what the wait is.

I gave up both times.

I am a little frustrated by this, but I guess that if I can get the ls460 I can get my own car washes..

I will not be driving over there again for this, it's a 30 minute drive each way.
Old 01-26-08, 08:34 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't speak for your dealership but 15 years ago the free car washes I received were quick and well done. Now they are slow and very poorly done. I get my car washed on the way to have it serviced and instruct them not to even think of washing it. Free washes like a lot of free things in life just aren't worth it.

Dave Mac
Old 01-26-08, 09:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

first of all, i never ever use their free car wash. almost all the time they do nothing but damage. they use machine to wash the car, and even if it's full hand wash, a lot of them they are far from good washers. cars come out with more swirls or scratches. no thanks, i wash and detail my cars myself. and several times my clients come back crying saying they accidentally took their cars (that i detailed) to dealership car wash.... i shook my head.....

but on to your dealership though, maybe it's time for them to expand a bit.... 80 mins for a car wash? is that stupid or something? all the dealerships around here, car wash won't take more than 10
Old 01-26-08, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I won't use free car wash from the dealers, they use hand wash & would likely produce swirl marks on your paint - they won't be as careful with using very clean mitts like yourself. Unless they have a no-touch type, then I may consider, to save time when busy, but it's still won't be as thorough as doing it myself.
Old 01-26-08, 12:11 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The dealer is located roughly 2 minutes from where I work. I tried their free car wash and came away with long streaky scratches along the passenger side. Fortunately these scratches are really subtle and are only visible if you look from a certain angle in the light.

Not only that, but after the wash the entire rear end of my car was sitll extremely dirty/dusty. Really disappointing to say the least.

When it comes to washing my car I'm usually not too strict about the job. I gave the car a brief look over and took off quickly after they were finished. Only after I examined the rear more closely at home did I discover that they didn't clean the rear half at all.

Normally I'd say to myself "next time I'll be more careful," however there won't be a "next time" for this free washing service.
Old 01-26-08, 01:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, I think there are several issues, 1) depends on the dealer (some have machine washes, others do hand), and 2) depends on the number of customers at the time. Lexus dealerships have gotten a larger and larger clientele over the years, and now are in the process of expanding to accommodate them. Unfortunately, compared to the past, it is more crowded now and difficult to get a free perk such as the car wash as consistently.
Old 01-26-08, 01:16 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I won't let the dealership wash my car even when I get my car serviced. I've seen how many swirl marks and scratches they put on their own new cars on their sales floor and wouldn't let them touch mine.

I also don't drive my car through a touch-less because the chemicals they use are harsh and would strip my sealant right off the car. I have always washed my own car using a clean MF towel, ONR, and a bucket with a grit guard. I always dry with a quality MF towel.

If I had to bring my car to get washed, I have a quality hand wash shop nearby that charges about $30 for a quickie wash.
Old 01-26-08, 03:28 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Our dealer has a nice machine washer that does a pretty good job, but I always wash my Lexus by hand. I take joy in doing it every Saturday at my work.

I would say if you want something done right, you should probably do it yourself. But, in general, most customers appreciate the free car wash after service. Youd be amazed at how many lexus vehicles look like they havent been washed in months.
Old 01-26-08, 03:34 PM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

I never wash my car anymore by hand. I just don't have the time to do it.

That's why I couldn't wait 80 minutes for a car wash either time.

plus it was 40 degrees this am.
Old 01-26-08, 05:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by guy999
I never wash my car anymore by hand. I just don't have the time to do it.

That's why I couldn't wait 80 minutes for a car wash either time.

plus it was 40 degrees this am.
pay the money and go for good detailers. that's my suggestion.
Old 01-26-08, 06:35 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, no. Guy and I both bought at the same dealership, so it's bad news that the car washes are so hard to get.

Unlike some of you guys, I've had excellent experience with dealer car washes for my previous Acuras. No scratches, so swirls, good wash job. I usually had to go home and touch up the wheels, since they didn't spend the time necessary to get in all the nooks and crannies, but I didn't mind that.

If there were any scratches or swirls, I figure it's up to the dealer to fix any damage he causes, and if he's the only one that ever washed my car, there's no mystery about who did it.

For us guys who are sliding into our Golden Years, not having to spend a hour or more sweating (or freezing) our butts off washing a car is a good thing, and I wouldn't use a dealer who didn't do free washes. Finding out the dealer cheaps out and makes me wait an hour and a half just sucks.

Old 01-27-08, 05:07 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Oh, no. Guy and I both bought at the same dealership, so it's bad news that the car washes are so hard to get.

Unlike some of you guys, I've had excellent experience with dealer car washes for my previous Acuras. No scratches, so swirls, good wash job. I usually had to go home and touch up the wheels, since they didn't spend the time necessary to get in all the nooks and crannies, but I didn't mind that.

If there were any scratches or swirls, I figure it's up to the dealer to fix any damage he causes, and if he's the only one that ever washed my car, there's no mystery about who did it.

For us guys who are sliding into our Golden Years, not having to spend a hour or more sweating (or freezing) our butts off washing a car is a good thing, and I wouldn't use a dealer who didn't do free washes. Finding out the dealer cheaps out and makes me wait an hour and a half just sucks.

Just bought mine so have'nt tried the "free wash" yet. The dealer says they have a touchless machine based on "water pressure". not sure how reliable this is. The dealership is SUPER NICE though , with large 60in flat screen TV in the waiting area, leather couches, full service cappucino bar with snacks and sanwiches and a perfect playroom for my kid. So it seems worthwhile to stop by on a Saturday even if it took and hour and hang out while they wash it. It is a bit far away though. I think I'll give it one try but with some skepticism. I dont have enough time now and my back is giving out, so cant really do regular washes myself. 15 years ago on my previous acura I always hand washed and hand waxed my car myself, and people frequently did a double take when they walked by my car (it was only an acura integra), but I spent an average of 1-2 hours/weekend on my car back then.

Boston Snowboarder

05 ES330 Silver/Black
Old 01-27-08, 07:32 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will say that the dealer was honest about the car washes - they told me right up front it wasn't a good idea to come in the day after a rain, since lots of people show up ... but I figured that was just common sense.

I'd think Saturdays would also be a bear, since lots of you unlucky people still work during the week.

Old 01-27-08, 08:21 AM
cardiacdoc
Driver School Candidate

Default re free car washes

Guy...Newport Lexus does a great job with their free car washes. They ususally take about 40 minutes. On average I take my car over there roughly once/week.

Sincerely,

Jas
Old 01-27-08, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I will say that the dealer was honest about the car washes - they told me right up front it wasn't a good idea to come in the day after a rain, since lots of people show up ... but I figured that was just common sense.

I'd think Saturdays would also be a bear, since lots of you unlucky people still work during the week.

i am a car detailer and of all the dealership wash, honestly i have yet to find one that is good. those auto wash is throw out automatically, you just can't use it (machine compared to human? you gotta be kidding me).

with human wash, i always notice they use the same cloths over and over again from car to car. that's never "allowed", period. there is a reason why i have a bucket in the garage with 20-30 cloths in it, coz' you wipe it and it's done. it can't be used on another car again, you just increase the chances for swirls

Quick Reply: free car washes