LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Verizon Transfer Phone Book Hack

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 11:46 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Verizon Transfer Phone Book Hack

After an hour of sitting in my car trying to get my phone book to load, I decided to research the problem on the web.

It appears Verizon locks this capability. I have a Treo 700W. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-08, 05:53 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had to ask my salesman how to do it and they looked it up for me. They even helped me do the first few entries. I did the rest on my own. Each phone is different. Good luck.
Old 02-01-08, 08:04 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manually one entry at a time.... I refuse to do that. I called Lexus and they blamed it on Verizon and asked us to call them; called Verizon and they blamed it on Lexus. Got off the merry-go-around in a hurry.

As soon our as contractual terms are up, we are switching carriers. Keeping my fingers crossed, maybe the next carrier's phones might be a little more compatible.
Old 02-01-08, 08:23 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Manually one entry at a time.... I refuse to do that. I called Lexus and they blamed it on Verizon and asked us to call them; called Verizon and they blamed it on Lexus. Got off the merry-go-around in a hurry.

As soon our as contractual terms are up, we are switching carriers. Keeping my fingers crossed, maybe the next carrier's phones might be a little more compatible.
I use T-Moble and I had to do entries one-at-a-time -- it's only one time so I didn't mind.
Old 02-01-08, 09:39 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlawr
-- it's only one time so I didn't mind.
LOL. I am a stubborn mule. My wife took the time to manually enter her's on her 07 RX350. She offered to do it for me too I refused.
Old 02-01-08, 09:52 AM
ikey78
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Verizon 650P Treo that uses the Palm OS.

You can group the contacts into categories and send these categories by Bluetooth to the car. One of the categories is all contacts. As far as I know this is the only Verizon phone that allows this. Once the contacts have been uploaded you can use them with any phone.

I do not believe this feature is available on the Windows Treos.

If you could pick up a cheap used Palm Treo you could transfer the contacts from the Windows to the Palm device and upload from there. You do not have to activate the cell service to get this to work.
Old 02-01-08, 11:06 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

I just got back from the Verizon store. They said it wasn't an issue of Verizon locking the contacts, it was more of a capability issue with them and Lexus.

They told me to contact Lexus from which they told me I was SOL and to contact Verizon.

Last edited by USCRugby; 02-03-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 11:30 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ikey78
I have a Verizon 650P Treo that uses the Palm OS.

You can group the contacts into categories and send these categories by Bluetooth to the car. One of the categories is all contacts. As far as I know this is the only Verizon phone that allows this. Once the contacts have been uploaded you can use them with any phone.

I do not believe this feature is available on the Windows Treos.

If you could pick up a cheap used Palm Treo you could transfer the contacts from the Windows to the Palm device and upload from there. You do not have to activate the cell service to get this to work.
Does the 650P have to be a Verizon phone as well?
Old 02-01-08, 12:29 PM
ikey78
Driver

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Does the 650P have to be a Verizon phone as well?
It should work with any Palm OS Treo eg. 650 700p 755p.

Cell phone provider should not make a difference. The transfer functionality is based on the Palm OS and has nothing to do with the carrier. As I said before it should work even if the Treo does not have active phone service.
Old 02-01-08, 12:49 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ikey78
It should work with any Palm OS Treo eg. 650 700p 755p.

Cell phone provider should not make a difference. The transfer functionality is based on the Palm OS and has nothing to do with the carrier. As I said before it should work even if the Treo does not have active phone service.
I would agree with ikey. I have had Treo 650, 700, and now 755 and have not had any issues transfering my phone numbers. I'm with Sprint, but I don't see how carrier would remove that functionality from the phone.
Old 02-01-08, 02:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

It is definitely the fault of Verizon. They do not allow this capability on their phones (which is why you can have a seemingly identical Sprint or T Mobile phone with this functionality). This was also reviewed in detail in either PC World or PC Mag about a year ago.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 02-04-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-03-08, 01:32 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USCRugby
After an hour of sitting in my car trying to get my phone book to load, I decided to research the problem on the web.

It appears Verizon locks this capability. I have a Treo 700W. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have heard this statement that Verizon "locks" the address book, but that was not my experience. I have Treo 700p on Verizon and finally was able to upload my phonebook. My experience would indicate that the Lexus system seems to be very picky on the format of the phone book for a sucessful transfer. I tried and initially had the same issue as you. It would only transfer two entries from my phone. I found that I had to reformat my phone book to not use parenthesis or spaces. In other words, I had to change from a format of (xxx) xxx-xxxx to xxx-xxx-xxxx and eliminate any entries with spaces and extensions. After I changed the format on the phone, it uploaded the entire phone book with no problems. This was on my ES350 w/ML so your system might be different although I doubt it. You might try a few and see if that helps.

Pete
Old 02-04-08, 10:46 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

i've got the moto krazr and i have to do it one at a time as well! definitely verizon's omb(?) transfer capability....i can't even use the mp3 function on my phone cause verizon locks it out! i'm getting att or t-mobile phone next time....just my experience
Old 02-04-08, 12:16 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

For my Moto Razr, it is Verizon's issue that they block the OBX transfer capability. I called Verizon and they confirmed that they block the OBX transfer for my own protection..hahah LOL! In reality, Verizon wants me to subscribe (for more money) to their own service to back up my contacts. I'm switching to a different carrier next time around.
Old 02-04-08, 01:09 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2007es350
For my Moto Razr, it is Verizon's issue that they block the OBX transfer capability. Verizon ................... I'm switching to a different carrier next time around.
Me too. I already have the ball rolling; convinced our bean counter to start moving our corporate accounts to AT&T. Especially since they have such a convenient world plan for our travelling workforce.

Quick Reply: Verizon Transfer Phone Book Hack