LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Prestigious Nav Lock Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 08:53 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you guys installing these yourself? I have pretty much no mechanical skills, though I do have a knack for wiring up my crazy home theater, with wires running everywhere. Seems like I've read posts where the cost for the unit was around $299? So installation couldn't cost too much if it just takes 30 minutes or so. Thanks....
Old 02-16-08, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the other day i did an install where it's close to where jlawr's is but a bit to the right where the black stripe of the radio unit is. so it blends in much better
Old 02-16-08, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Are you guys installing these yourself? I have pretty much no mechanical skills, though I do have a knack for wiring up my crazy home theater, with wires running everywhere. Seems like I've read posts where the cost for the unit was around $299? So installation couldn't cost too much if it just takes 30 minutes or so. Thanks....
it's not 299 anymore it's 349 now i believe. they include installation instructions, takes about 2 hours to do and test the install i think
Old 02-16-08, 09:01 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Well....extre $50 isn't going to kill me, but is it easy enough to do without much, ok, without any, experience in this area? I'd hate to get in there and f*&# it up and have to take it somewhere to be fixed. My philosophy as I've gotten older tends to be get someone who knows what they are doing and it saves time and money in the long run.
Old 02-16-08, 11:19 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well....extre $50 isn't going to kill me, but is it easy enough to do without much, ok, without any, experience in this area? I'd hate to get in there and f*&# it up and have to take it somewhere to be fixed. My philosophy as I've gotten older tends to be get someone who knows what they are doing and it saves time and money in the long run.
I'll be honest - I got halfway through mine the first time and had to abandon the install since i couldn't get the radio head unit out. But another member on the board helped me out, since he had worked out a method of "prying" it out (carefully, of course).

If it hadn't been for that sticking point, I'd have been able to do it with no real problem. You need some patience, some tools (a 10mm socket and ratchet with an extension, screwdriver's, etc.), lighting and so on. But the instructions (15 pages, with good color photos) are complete and easy to follow.

It ain't for everyone, but if you don't want to try it, I'm sure a stereo shop would do it for $100 or less (that's a guess).

Old 02-16-08, 11:27 AM
Bossa_Nova
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's not 299 anymore it's 349 now i believe.
Maybe we could do better through a group buy if enough folks were interested in getting one at the same time. Count me as #1.
Old 02-16-08, 02:21 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Bossa....I'll keep that in mind....haven't pulled the trigger yet, but had my first highway test drive today...WOW...what a great riding car! I'm sure it wll be mine soon.....
Old 02-16-08, 03:47 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rugby....no, haven't contacted that guy yet because I haven't gotten to price talking yet. Once that talk begins, I'll be calling him.

As for the "Tigers Suck Ballz" comment, last 30 year record of 21-8-1 in our "rivalry" (hard to call it a rivalry lately) game says otherwise. Still waiting on King Spurrier to show some improvement. I sent an interesting video to your PM....enjoy!
Hey if you like Bowden and mediocre seasons then I guess he is your guy. Spurrier hasn't been here but a few years. Give him time and we will see.
Old 02-16-08, 03:50 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
the other day i did an install where it's close to where jlawr's is but a bit to the right where the black stripe of the radio unit is. so it blends in much better
Can you get a picture of it for us please?
Old 02-16-08, 06:13 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Gamecocks would kill for a 9-4 "mediocre" season....recruiting continuing to improve....I'll keep Bowden and you guys keep King Spurrier....please. I'm still amazed at Gamecocks poking fun at a coach who has dominated them, 7-2 and counting, not to mention 63-17...ouch. That is, 7-2 against two coaches who will likely be in the College Football Hall of Fame....not bad.
Old 02-17-08, 08:09 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Gamecocks would kill for a 9-4 "mediocre" season....recruiting continuing to improve....I'll keep Bowden and you guys keep King Spurrier....please. I'm still amazed at Gamecocks poking fun at a coach who has dominated them, 7-2 and counting, not to mention 63-17...ouch. That is, 7-2 against two coaches who will likely be in the College Football Hall of Fame....not bad.
In the SEC sure, but in the ACC that's a different story. Clemson fans have wanted to fire Bowden for the last 3 years. He's always on the hot seat but the USC games saves his job.
Old 02-17-08, 09:42 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Sorry....not all Tiger fans want him gone....don't get me wrong, I know plenty that do, but most of those are fans who live in some dream world thinking we should get 10, 11, 12 wins per season. Most reasonable fans believe he is doing a good job, respresents the school well, keeps our players out of trouble most of the time (kids will be kids), good grades, recruiting the last 3 years has been up, facilities improving....no....not all fans are against him. And if it takes beating the Gamecocks to save his job.....that's icing on the cake!

Back to the NAV fix....do you have it installed yet???? Working well?
Old 02-17-08, 12:27 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

I haven't installed it yet. I found a shop to do the install for 65 an hour and they were backed up a little. So I have to setup an appointment.
Old 02-17-08, 12:29 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Price sounds about right....keep me posted on how it goes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel completely comfortable installing it myself. Later....
Old 02-21-08, 11:49 AM
ojah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Best Buy Install NAV override

Price sounds about right....keep me posted on how it goes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel completely comfortable installing it myself. Later....

I've had my override for several months now and am still looking for someone to help install it for me in VA, MD or DC. One audio shop recommended going to Best Buy. Is Best Buy likely to be able to do it?

Quick Reply: Prestigious Nav Lock Question