LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bumper Fell Off Doubters

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 01:45 PM
kilrnstinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It also happened to me. well kind of...

Originally Posted by garyr
Warbird, for whats it's worth I believe you

I know Lexus products are not perfect. I guess it's tough for past Lexus owners to grasp these cars have so many basic problems. Past Lexus's have been known for the best quality control in the industry.

I'll bet something happened to your car during transit from Japan to the dealer in the US that caused it to fail. My brother in-law is a captain of a Ro Ro ship that transport the cars from Japan to Port Newark NJ. They all come from the Toyota plant. He has told me stories to what happens to some of the 500 or so cars they pack on the ship for transit. Mine was delivered with 21 miles on it and I had it spacial ordered, it was not driven. I was told that is the normal mileage after testing and transit. Not sure if I believe the dealer but we just bought a new 350 for my mother in-law and it had the same mileage as mine did.
So I bought a used 2007 IS350 a while back. So I have had about a month or so, and one day I’m pulling into a parking spot very slowly and all the sudden it feels like I hit the curb but there is no curb around in fact there is nothing to hit at all. As I open my door I saw my wheel well laying next to the car. I thought well wtf. The car was in great shape body wise. Well all wise but there is nothing to say anything was misaligned coming apart or anything. But I did notice before that, that there was A very small gap between the tire and the inside of the wheel well. That design adds to the sporty look but gives you only one option for tires and that’s low profile. But anyways so as I had turned into the parking spot my will cut the inside of the well somehow, we’re talking the hard plastic stuff, and somehow ran it over and ripped it completely off. As I sat there looking at this contorted piece of plastic thinking to myself well that’s unfortunate, I had yet to learn the full extent of the damage. Slowly over the next few days I kept seeing things that were wrong with the car. For one I couldn’t keep those damn clips in. My bumper started to hang sag detach from the side. It’s held in with so many clips and too few actual screws or should I say bolts it needs bolts. Because when those clips fail good luck trying to get anything to line up like you did from the factory. That wasn’t even the worst part about the whole ordeal. I also lost the use of my blinkers. Still to this day if I turn on my blinker it almost sounds like static. It’s a weird sound. I don’t know if this is the case with all Lexus cars but I know the I S second generation has a ridiculous maze of wiring when it comes to the lighting. I’ve looked up diagram schematics I cannot figure out where to plug something in. Upon closer inspection after that wheel well incident, I noticed a plug there’s no doubt goes to some sort of lighting just hanging but everything looks like it’s still plugged in. Would I be so lucky to be able to look at the other side? Nope it’s completely different. Well not completely different but different enough to where This thing goes. My point of all this though is that yes even Lexus makes mistakes sometimes yes they use way too many of those clips and yes those clips fail way too much part materials flaw part design flaw. For all the idiotic replies to this man’s original message, come on guys it’s obvious he was talking about a bumper cover nobodies bumper is just gonna fall off. Yes sometimes bumpers seem to just fall off. I think it’s safe to say that some thing had to have happened for that bumper to fall off but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that clips just failed
Old 07-22-20, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

This thread is 12 years old...
Old 07-22-20, 03:49 PM
kilrnstinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This thread is 12 years old...
Capitan obvious.

Is there something wrong with that?
Old 07-22-20, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Not sure why you would feel the need to join a forum and chastise people for how they responded to somebody 12 years ago. Most of the people involved don't even post here anymore...
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (07-22-20)
Old 07-22-20, 09:22 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not sure why you would feel the need to join a forum and chastise people for how they responded to somebody 12 years ago. Most of the people involved don't even post here anymore...
LOL, such a nice yet funny reply
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (07-23-20)