LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Pulley recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08 | 07:13 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JessePS
What a shame.
Every manufacturer has recalls, its part of the game. Point is, Lexus has 19 cars affected, they recall 29,000. Every vehicle is getting a free tank of gas, amoung other perks.

I think Lexus steps up a lot higher than other manufactures. Flaws happen, its how they are handled that matter the most, in my opinion.
Old 02-27-08 | 07:51 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
Every manufacturer has recalls, its part of the game. Point is, Lexus has 19 cars affected, they recall 29,000. Every vehicle is getting a free tank of gas, amoung other perks.

I think Lexus steps up a lot higher than other manufactures. Flaws happen, its how they are handled that matter the most, in my opinion.
Totally true. As cars continue to get more and more complex, failures of individual parts are inevitable.

My wife's Caddy STS just got recalled for some kind of drivetrain issue that they said could cause the wheels to lock up unexpectedly and cause the driver to lose control of the car. I'll take a cracked pulley over that any day!

Old 02-27-08 | 08:05 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Totally true. As cars continue to get more and more complex, failures of individual parts are inevitable.

My wife's Caddy STS just got recalled for some kind of drivetrain issue that they said could cause the wheels to lock up unexpectedly and cause the driver to lose control of the car. I'll take a cracked pulley over that any day!

Wow. How about the Ford recall that was lighting the vehicles on fire with the key off and burning people's houses down.
Old 02-27-08 | 08:08 AM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon

LOOKS to me instead of doing champagne glass tests, paint checks, they should now concentrate on the quality of their cars. as far as i remember this is the first engine part recall for a lexus, and not any lexus, the flagship. iam sorry for people who paid Msrp for these cars and then having to go through these troubles. this will definately bring the value of those affected cars down. just my @ cents
Cmon Toyota Stop competing for number one seller spot in the world and start concentrating in what got u there in the first place. Quality and reliability..
Old 02-27-08 | 08:28 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

I got a call from a dealer on Monday telling me that he had received an email from corporate with my vin number on it and that I should bring the car in and have the pulley recall done. Although, I'm not very happy that it has to be done, but I'm very happy about Lexus being proactive about it. They are also going to upgrade my Navi to 7.1 for free.

P.S. Raj, I'm not here to start a war, but let's just see how many recalls MB will have in a year.
Old 02-27-08 | 08:46 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

I dont see how this recall can bring the value of the car down As you said yourself this is the first engine recall part that Lexus has had so that should answer your own question. In terms of stellar quality & reliability you cannot go wrong with the Lexus product unlike a Mercedes that is always in the shop.

Originally Posted by rajwany
LOOKS to me instead of doing champagne glass tests, paint checks, they should now concentrate on the quality of their cars. as far as i remember this is the first engine part recall for a lexus, and not any lexus, the flagship. iam sorry for people who paid Msrp for these cars and then having to go through these troubles. this will definately bring the value of those affected cars down. just my @ cents
Cmon Toyota Stop competing for number one seller spot in the world and start concentrating in what got u there in the first place. Quality and reliability..
Old 02-27-08 | 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

amazing to see some response from people. lexus not paying attention, you flame them. lexus doing the right thing and issue a recall, you flame them. it's a car, and they are fixing a problem. give me another brand that has never issued a recall??

while it's great to have a perfect car (show me one), as long as it's not big issue (i don't see this as a big issue?) and factory fix it, i am cool. don't even make me bring up tranny issue on honda/acura. if lexus is issuing a recall saying the tranny is bet, i would be disappointed as well. but this small item? thank god lexus didn't recall a light bulb...

Last edited by rominl; 02-27-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-27-08 | 10:23 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rajwany
That's a bit harsh. Just because Lexus is known for reliability doesn't mean that every car it produces will be perfect.

There's an inherent risk in purchasing a car in its first year as a new model. Lexus identified a problem and issued a fix. No big deal IMHO.
Old 02-27-08 | 10:48 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Even though my car is subject to the recall, I don't think the pulley recall is a huge deal by itself. However, when you add up all the TSIBs such as the wind noise fix, the creaking dashboard fix, the re-programming of the transmission to solve the slip at start and now the pulley recall, all these items do add up!

This being a first year model should NOT be an excuse for these mistakes. I don't think Lexus would want to use the "first year model" excuse because fewer people would buy the first year model. Actually, Lexus prides itself on quality on ALL its vehicles.

This being my first LS, I really like the car and prior to purchase was sold on the perception of quality and reliability and the extra care from Lexus. After my initial LS experience, my perception of Lexus quality has gone down.
Old 02-27-08 | 01:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I would say, for a new Lexus model, and especially for those 2007 owners for whom many TSIBs applied, it appears higher for Lexus. The majority of Lexus owners I know have little to no experience with needing TSIB repairs, recalls etc. That said, many of those owners are not first-year buyers, and in LS history the first year has had recalls going back to the first generation. It seems the 2008s should be towards Lexus normal.

And good that they are taking care of it, at least.
Old 02-27-08 | 02:13 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Yeah, just got off the phone with my dealer and my car also falls under the recall. The head tech told me, it's not a big job and will only take one hour. The only problem, I live 110 miles each way from my dealer...

I also don't see how this will decrease resale value...

Craig
Old 02-27-08 | 02:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Some of you have short memories. I had one of the very first LS400's in the Dallas area, and I had several major parts replaced on my car.

The biggest was probably the ECU (which in 1999 was a hugely-expensive black box about the size of a small briefcase). I had just come in for an oil change and they told me the "engine computer" had been recalled and needed to be replaced. They had the car for the rest of the day changing it out.

The next surprise was when they replaced all 5 tires. I had only about 6,000 miles on the car, but they replaced all of them. Said something vague about the sidewalls being too weak or something.

I don't remember what else got replaced, but at the time, I just regarded it as a great company taking really good care of me. And I still look at it that way.

So don't say this is the first time Lexus has recalled something big.

Old 02-27-08 | 03:23 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Yeah, just got off the phone with my dealer and my car also falls under the recall. The head tech told me, it's not a big job and will only take one hour. The only problem, I live 110 miles each way from my dealer...

I also don't see how this will decrease resale value...

Craig

Check your pm's.
Old 02-27-08 | 04:02 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

I just checked my VIN and my car with only 6680 miles does fall under this recall. I haven't heard from the dealer or mother Lexus, and I am not going in till I receive the official notification. BTW this will be my first TSIB.
Old 02-28-08 | 08:21 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

I just completed our first LS460 that came to us for this concern. Super easy recall. Unfortunately I did not have my camera on me today. I was intending on taking pictures to post the difference of the new pulleys for you guys. Theres definitely a difference. The bigger old pulley is pretty stout, but made of a heavy duty plastic material. The LS that I had a problem with before had a crack in it causing a knocking noise. The new pulley is made of metal, and is a good bit heavier than the plastic one. The smaller pulley is the same, but made of metal as well, instead of the heavy duty plastic material (not really sure what it is specifically).

Along with the two new pulleys, it comes with a new drive belt. I personally do not think its necessary, but hey, free belt for the customer.

It took all of 30 minutes, just requires taking off the engine cover, and the intake pipes. Ill see if I can snag a picture for you guys next time I do one. Im sure we will see quite a bit of them.

Quick Reply: Engine Pulley recall (merged threads)