LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Pulley recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08 | 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

interesting, so it's 2 pulleys and 1 belt change? done in 30 mins, that shows that the recall isn't too intensive
Old 02-28-08 | 09:32 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting, so it's 2 pulleys and 1 belt change? done in 30 mins, that shows that the recall isn't too intensive

Two pulleys and a belt change is all it is. Both pulleys are idler pulleys. It took longer for me to remove the engine covers and intakes than to change the parts.
Old 02-28-08 | 09:34 AM
Gordy35
Rookie

I just called the 800 number for Lexus and they verified that my LS460 is under the recall. I have not received a letter yet although Lexus said that they were mailed on or about Feb 23. I was told that I did not need to wait for the letter. Just make an appointment with the dealer and they will verify the VIN# and perform the work.
Old 02-28-08 | 11:01 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Have we established for sure these are only 2007's that are affected? The VIN on my '08 appears to be outside the range.

Old 02-28-08 | 11:09 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Have we established for sure these are only 2007's that are affected? The VIN on my '08 appears to be outside the range.

2007 LS460 model years only.
Old 02-28-08 | 11:14 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
2007 LS460 model years only.
Thank you, sir.

Old 02-28-08 | 11:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Thank you, sir.

You could bribe him to go out on the lot and lift the hood on an 08 to be sure the pulleys on them are not plastic and that they resemble the replacements being put in the 07.

Though being a Texan I'd have thought you yourself would have already lifted that hood
Old 02-28-08 | 11:28 AM
garyr
Pole Position

FYI: My car's vin is out side that vin range listed in this post. I called Lexus corp to check and it's effected by the recall.......have an appointment Monday.

Believe it or not this is the first car I have ever owned that I had to bring it in for a recall.........This is also the first time ever I bought the first model year out. Shame on me, I knew better.

Hope my 19" wheels are forged not cast......
Old 02-28-08 | 11:32 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garyr
FYI: My car's vin is out side that vin range listed in this post. I called Lexus corp to check and it's effected by the recall.......have an appointment Monday.

Believe it or not this is the first car I have ever owned that I had to bring it in for a recall.........This is also the first time ever I bought the first model year out. Shame on me, I knew better.

Hope my 19" wheels are forged not cast......
Well, if you are going to go through one, this is very minor for you to have done, better before it breaks than after.

And as to your car outside the VIN, I was thinking they may be doing them in segments of manufacture and that more would be involved down the road, seen this before, and it's to avoid overwhelming service departments.
Old 02-28-08 | 11:45 AM
garyr
Pole Position

[QUOTE=ES350Bob;3317072]Well, if you are going to go through one, this is very minor for you to have done, better before it breaks than after.

Don't know about your time friend, but mine is very valuable every time I have to run down to the dealer. The recall is not a safety issue thank god but it will leave you stranded for sure which ain't to pretty.

I'll be driving to the dealer Monday with my 2 front windows whistling over 40mph (which is back again like before) hoping the car will not break down before I get there. I had a used 74 Pinto I felt that way about when I drove it.
Old 02-28-08 | 11:47 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Yea, I have never seen that before. I copied the VIN #'s directly from the campaign publication. Like I said though, its important to call your Lexus dealer to confirm if your vehicle does, or does not qualify for the VIN range. Also, I have the ability to check VIN #'s as well.

Garyr - As I pm'd another member. You may have the option of having the dealership drive a loaner out to you, while they take your vehicle in for the repairs. They may say no, but my dealer has done this in the past upon request, and will probably be doing this for some customers for this.
Old 02-28-08 | 11:53 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onepointon
Garyr - As I pm'd another member. You may have the option of having the dealership drive a loaner out to you, while they take your vehicle in for the repairs. They may say no, but my dealer has done this in the past upon request, and will probably be doing this for some customers for this.
This customer service approach is standard procedure in the Great White North. I would think likewise for you folks...
Old 02-28-08 | 11:56 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=garyr;3317097]
Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Well, if you are going to go through one, this is very minor for you to have done, better before it breaks than after.

Don't know about your time friend, but mine is very valuable every time I have to run down to the dealer. The recall is not a safety issue thank god but it will leave you stranded for sure which ain't to pretty.

I'll be driving to the dealer Monday with my 2 front windows whistling over 40mph (which is back again like before) hoping the car will not break down before I get there. I had a used 74 Pinto I felt that way about when I drove it.
Well, here is the bright side: In a pinto on the side of the road people KNEW you were broke down, in an LS460 no matter where you are broke down, they will assume you are looking at property or something while you are really waiting for the flatbed with loaner on it
Old 02-28-08 | 12:27 PM
garyr
Pole Position

[QUOTE=ES350Bob;3317117]
Originally Posted by garyr

Well, here is the bright side: In a pinto on the side of the road people KNEW you were broke down, in an LS460 no matter where you are broke down, they will assume you are looking at property or something while you are really waiting for the flatbed with loaner on it
LOL............a lot. That was funny as hell, thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Here in the North Jersey you have to fight for a service appointment-to many people per square mile here. Wish they offered that service, makes me wonder how nice the rest of you have it outside of NJ. I'm still trying to get over I ordered the touring package and it came with only summer tires here in the northeast.

Last edited by garyr; 02-28-08 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-28-08 | 12:47 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about that. I had actually looked at relocating to a dealer in the North Jersey / NYC area for some personal reasons, but I was just not impressed after I looked at a few. It really says something about the company when they can provide a service like this to the customer. I know if I was upset about a recall on my vehicle, but the company offered to pick it up and leave me a loaner, then my vehicle was full of fuel when it was returned to me, I would be ok.

Quick Reply: Engine Pulley recall (merged threads)