LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Black Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 04:29 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Black Interior?

Well....I've got an offer on the table that will involve a black interior. I've always stayed away from the black interior because it seems like it would be hot. I live in the South, so the summers are often 95+ days. I think the black looks sharp, but what are general thoughts on the black interior from a heat stand point? Thanks in advance for any thoughts....
Old 03-05-08, 04:40 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Well....I've got an offer on the table that will involve a black interior. I've always stayed away from the black interior because it seems like it would be hot. I live in the South, so the summers are often 95+ days. I think the black looks sharp, but what are general thoughts on the black interior from a heat stand point? Thanks in advance for any thoughts....
My last two LS's (430 and 460L) have had black interiors and I obviously think it looks very classy and rich. It is also much easier to keep clean (hides the dirt more). As far as the heat is concerned, I don't have any problem at all. I live here in the upper Midwest and some days in the summer are actually hotter than down where you live in the South. Besides, the front seats have the cooling option with the AC.
Old 03-05-08, 04:47 PM
Stoks
Rookie

I have a black on black 07 SWB and I also live in the south. I was worried about the heat prior to the purchase of this car as well. I previously had a GS 350 with light tan interior and the thought of roasting in the summer heat on black leather made me gun shy.

I will tell you in no uncertain terms....don't worry about it. The cooling system in this car is fantastic, and with the cooled leather seats, I've had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I can't really tell a difference between my black interior LS and the very light tan colored interior of the GS during the hot months.

I'll tell you another plus you will like with a dark colored interior...it stays looking nice a LOT better than the lighter colored interiors. I was constantly trying to clean up smudges, soiled areas on the carpets, scuff marks on the back of the seats where the kids would inevitably place their shoes, etc. The black needs to be kept clean as well, but it's MUCH easier than the tan I had before. Not even close.

Finally, this is just personal preference...but I think the black interior has a much richer look to it.
Old 03-05-08, 05:00 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Cool (no pun intended).....I was thinking the seat cooling system would help, so thanks for the input. The car will be in a garage most of the time anyway, but was concerned about the heat building up while out and about. I'll be seeing it tomorrow, Smoky Granite and black interior.
Old 03-05-08, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have blk interior on the ls460l, and i got the car back in aug when it was cooking here

i had tan and saddle interior before. and let me tell you, when it's summer and it's cooking out there, the leather is hot, no matter what color it is. if you want to reduce the heat, get ceramic tint, that helps a lot. but getting lighter color leather won't help much at all
Old 03-05-08, 05:51 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Cool (no pun intended).....I was thinking the seat cooling system would help, so thanks for the input. The car will be in a garage most of the time anyway, but was concerned about the heat building up while out and about. I'll be seeing it tomorrow, Smoky Granite and black interior.
Smoky Granite with black interior are my exact colors. Smart choice.
Old 03-05-08, 06:06 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Black is good

I'm in Az and had a black interior in my GS. Tinted windows , and a sun shade on the front window kept things reasonable..... When it's 115+ it's hot no matter what !!

But the black really isn't any different than another color
Old 03-05-08, 07:02 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Thanks again for the input....I'll see it "live" tomorrow and decide if that's what I want.
Old 03-05-08, 07:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Black is Beautiful...

Black matte leather is not like black glossy vinyl which is what is most associated with extreme heat retention, especially in cars of the past. Add to that the Peltier seat cooler, and it's not a problem. Even with shorts on in the heat of summer, it takes mere seconds to cool down the interior and the seats in particular. The glass all around is also amply tinted to reflect infrared radiation.
Old 03-05-08, 08:11 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know how hot it gets in the South and I wouldn't let the heat change the color of the interior of the car you want. I have black with tan and I think it looks good. With Tan you have to get the all weather mats.
Old 03-05-08, 09:10 PM
Gordy35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Black on Black and have no problem with it, before the LS460 I also had a Black on Black SC430 and did not have a problem with that either and the windows in either one of those cars are tinted. I also have a Black on Black 08 IS350 and do not have any problem with that car either. And I am in South Florida
Old 03-05-08, 10:21 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

There was an article that I read regarding black leather being hotter than other colors, but the temp. difference was so minor that it was negligible.

Black all the way
Old 03-05-08, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
There was an article that I read regarding black leather being hotter than other colors, but the temp. difference was so minor that it was negligible.

Black all the way
yup, that's why i said when it's hot, it's HOT
Old 03-05-08, 10:31 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's why i said when it's hot, it's HOT
Hey we're in socal so can't complain like the AZ/TX/SE/ guys
Old 03-06-08, 12:08 AM
McRib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an IS250 same color inside and out but it doesn't get that hot out in the sun because I have tints and a sunshade screen on the front.

BTW any details on your offer? I'm in the market for a similar LS myself!

Quick Reply: Black Interior?