LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tips and Tricks you might not know about your LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 06:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bkaley
They also can't remove jammed CDs in the "oh so high quality" Mark leverson CD changer. .... get this... They claim that the entire GPS system with the radio, tape deck and cd changer needs to be replaced @$1000+.
In that case, be thankful you don't have an LS460 - you don't want to know how much a replacement Radio/CD/Nav unit costs!
Old 03-13-17, 07:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
Which spoiler did you get. I have the large DAR one and trunk will still open all the way by itself.
I got something similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Lexus-LS...BYK3hB&vxp=mtr

Keep in mind that I do not have the power trunk (meaning, it doesnt open and close by itself. I have the power trunk RELEASE that just pops the trunk and the springs take over.
Old 03-13-17, 08:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
In that case, be thankful you don't have an LS460 - you don't want to know how much a replacement Radio/CD/Nav unit costs!
It's actually not too bad anymore, and you can get a replacement head unit for about 349 bucks (or about the same cost as a decent aftermarket head unit).. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS460-LS600H-MARK-LEVINSON-RADIO-STEREO-AUDIO-CD-DVD-PLAYER-CHANGER-/152462960215?hash=item237f802657:g:gKYAAOSw-0xYlj50&vxp=mtr

If you need to replace the nav unit, it's about 700

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-13-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 11:08 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
It's actually not too bad anymore, and you can get a replacement head unit for about 349 bucks (or about the same cost as a decent aftermarket head unit).. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS460-LS600H-MARK-LEVINSON-RADIO-STEREO-AUDIO-CD-DVD-PLAYER-CHANGER-/152462960215?hash=item237f802657:g:gKYAAOSw-0xYlj50&vxp=mtr

If you need to replace the nav unit, it's about 700
Wow, that has come down! Of course, these are used units - I understand that the replacements Lexus use come from Pioneer who first tests/refurbishes them to original specs (not "new", though).
The following users liked this post:
cryptodonis (07-15-23)
Old 03-13-17, 11:36 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tennisstar
you must have the side mirror button pushed to either L or R in order to have the mirrors drop down when backing up....
Originally Posted by lotus
My ventilated seats seemed to have poor airflow, noticed others talking about the air filters which are right under the front bottom of each front seat. Check the manual defined the replacement process.

Mine are running cooler now, but nothing like when it was new.
Originally Posted by Tee
This Easter egg I'm about add has been on Lexus cars for yrs.

You can get the steering column to drop one level lower by clicking (Don't hold it down) the down switch count each click 8 times and when you click it the 9th time it will drop one more level.
So much good info in this thread

Originally Posted by tcarroll2
And it really pisses me off when someone slams my door now, or if I soft close it and they in turn open it and slam it. I love this feature.
You're not kidding! I'm now to the point where I get irate when someone slams the doors, pretty sure my youngest daughter (9) does it just to push my buttons :P

I figure slamming the door will wear on the internals more over time, let the technology do the work and keep everything inside from getting rattled around.

Originally Posted by Tec80
There is a strap in the trunk to hold a windshield washer fluid gallon jug, keeping it from bouncing around in there.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I have a first aid kit just floating around in the envelope cargo net, will be nice to have a proper place for it.
Old 03-14-17, 09:20 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus pouch First aid kit has some velco on the back, you can stick this to anywhere inside your trunk.
Old 03-14-17, 09:29 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is not the Lexus kit, it's Army CIF issue. Put it in the strap yesterday

I have noticed, since seeing the tip for lowering your mirrors when in reverse, that I'm not a huge fan of this feature. I tend to look well behind me when I'm backing up and anticipate what's coming, the mirrors dropping is more of a distraction for me than anything. Will be nice to have if I'm in a tight spot next to a curb, but I'll likely leave them stationary for daily duties.
Old 03-14-17, 09:37 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
I have noticed, since seeing the tip for lowering your mirrors when in reverse, that I'm not a huge fan of this feature. I tend to look well behind me when I'm backing up and anticipate what's coming, the mirrors dropping is more of a distraction for me than anything. Will be nice to have if I'm in a tight spot next to a curb, but I'll likely leave them stationary for daily duties.
With my car, I use the backup camera for a big picture of what's behind me, and the RCTA system is also very useful to warn of pedestrians or vehicles approaching from the sides.
Old 03-14-17, 09:44 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I find that the feature you mentioned is very helpful when you are parking far and away and that location is adjacent to a curb. When angled properly, you can easily see the sidewall of the rear wheels as well as the face surface of the curb. I've got it down to a science!
toyo5oh (08-28-22)
Old 03-14-17, 09:59 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This feature is essential for me.
Parallel parking against curbs daily, several times a day in downtown Toronto.
Keeps the wheels safe.
Old 03-14-17, 10:59 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's just because "Everything is BIGGER in Texas!", including parking spaces
dlbuckls10 (03-14-17)
Old 06-08-17, 08:23 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GR6RR
Lexus pouch First aid kit has some velco on the back, you can stick this to anywhere inside your trunk.
Or if you want it hidden. It fits perfect in the small space behind the rear armrest. Behind the door to the trunk. So between the access door and actual trunk
Old 06-08-17, 08:29 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarroll2
And it really pisses me off when someone slams my door now, or if I soft close it and they in turn open it and slam it. I love this feature.
My problem is me. I am too used to the soft close doors.
If I am driving the Ls a lot I get used to them. But then if I drive our Tundra or 4runner I sometimes forget and dont close the doors hard enough. Even ran down the Tundra battery one night with the dome light still on.
All my life closing a door came second nature, did not have to think about it before.
Old 04-04-18, 09:45 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I keep a can of tire shine for when i can't make it home and use the wipe on kind.

So much good info in this thread

You're not kidding! I'm now to the point where I get irate when someone slams the doors, pretty sure my youngest daughter (9) does it just to push my buttons :P

I figure slamming the door will wear on the internals more over time, let the technology do the work and keep everything inside from getting rattled around.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I have a first aid kit just floating around in the envelope cargo net, will be nice to have a proper place for it.
Old 06-04-18, 10:42 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Manumatic gear skipping

If, when you move the shift lever to "M", you then hold it forward, it will jump from 4th to 8th. Conversely, if you pull back and hold, the transmission will shift from the gear you're in down to 4th.

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks you might not know about your LS