LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav system not as expected

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 08:00 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You know, I love toys, too, but jlawr is right - just burn some MP3's onto CD's and you have all the tunes you can handle. Since you can't record MP3's to the HDD, I don't even use it.

BTW - I find that anything over 192 kbps bit rate is a waste of disc space. I've yet to find anyone who can truly tell the difference between 192 and 256, especially in a moving car! And at a 192 bit rate and using 6-disc changer, you will have hundreds of tunes on tap.

I can easily tell the difference between 192 and 256. I also use the 256 data rate for my recordings onto the HDD.
Old 03-12-08, 10:47 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You bought a car without knowing it didn't have the ML sound system?.... That's strange, and it's even more shocking that the sales man couldn't tell the difference. Did you see the spec sheet when you signed the papers?....
Old 03-13-08, 05:12 AM
jc3103
Rookie

I knew it didn't have the ML system, however the salesman told me that the hard drive on the navigation system did the recording. He said the only thing extra that I would get for the extra 4 grand, with ML, was the better sound system. (amp, speakers, etc.) I think most people would believe the salesman knew what he was talking about.
Old 03-13-08, 08:13 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
I have a ton of MP3 music....but also have many CDs purchased over the years. The last CD I purchased was...well...can't even remember, but my wife did get me the latest Eagles CD at Christmas so that is already burned to the HD. At least that won't be taking up space of CDs with MP3. I certainly agree with the fact that not many CDs are being bought, but I would think most would have some CDs laying around. I've got some Beatles, Clapton, Joel, and Sting ready to be burned for access whenever I want it. So for me, pretty cool deal.
Not sure what you mean, but why not rip them to MP3 format and compile a huge number of songs on a single CD? You can even edit out the dogs while you're at it and save only the "good" songs.

Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know, but you can rip the songs off commercial CD's using everything from Windows Media Player to a number of freeware programs available on the internet. And it's completely legal and ethical to make copies of your own CD's for your own use.

That way, you can reduce the number of CD's in your stack and put a couple thousand songs on a set of 6 CD's!

Old 03-13-08, 08:19 AM
jc3103
Rookie

I just don't like the idea that I didn't get what I thought I was buying. Would you?
Old 03-13-08, 08:42 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike....I'm not arguing with using MP3 format, I will be doing that with the MP3 library I have accumulated....however....I have the HD available, and so might as well use it. It is quite convenient, I was able to record the songs to the HD that I wanted (not recording the "dogs"), and now I have them available without taking up any CD space (only 6 CD spaces, correct?). I haven't put an MP3 CD into the player yet, so not sure how it shows up, maybe it lists the tracks? I still have much investigating and playing with the system before figuring all this out. Anyway, not knocking your idea/plan at all, but, if I have the CDs available to burn to the HD, I just don't see why I shouldn't do it.
Old 03-13-08, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not sure what you mean, but why not rip them to MP3 format and compile a huge number of songs on a single CD? You can even edit out the dogs while you're at it and save only the "good" songs.

Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know, but you can rip the songs off commercial CD's using everything from Windows Media Player to a number of freeware programs available on the internet. And it's completely legal and ethical to make copies of your own CD's for your own use.

That way, you can reduce the number of CD's in your stack and put a couple thousand songs on a set of 6 CD's!

nah, i think playing mp3 cd isn't the issue. it's about how he was mislead the information
Old 03-13-08, 11:05 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jc3103
I just don't like the idea that I didn't get what I thought I was buying. Would you?
I agree, the salesperson definitely screwed up here. Seems like he needs some more training

I wonder how the dealership will rectify the situation...are you willing to pay the difference for a LS with the ML system? In any event, good luck and let us know how the dealer responds.
Old 03-13-08, 11:49 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I can easily tell the difference between 192 and 256. I also use the 256 data rate for my recordings onto the HDD.

You may be able to, but you're apparently part of a tiny minority of folks who can. In fact, most people cannot reliably tell if a song has been MP3 encoded, much less at what bit rate. Here's a fun article where Maximum PC ran some A/B comparison tests, and their music-loving subjects were stumped:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/do_...off?page=0%2C0

Here's a quote that sums up the results:

"With the possible exception of the USB Key that survived a washing and drying cycle, no other Maximum PC Challenge has ever surprised us as much as this one. It’s downright humiliating, in fact, that in many cases, we were unable to tell the difference between an uncompressed track and one encoded at 160Kb/s, the bit rate most of us considered the absolute minimum acceptable for even portable players." [Emphasis mine.]

I've seen several tests like this, and even though this one isn't the most scientific, they all ended up with the same result - most people, even including many professional musicians, simply can't tell the difference. MP3 encoding is just that good, at least if it's 160 kbps or better and good equipment is used to encode and play it.

Just FWIW.

Old 03-13-08, 11:51 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
nah, i think playing mp3 cd isn't the issue. it's about how he was mislead the information
Completely agree, Rom - I was just talking up the merits of MP3 v. the HDD.

Old 03-13-08, 03:16 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

There are TWO issues here...one is just how good and how useful the HDD thingie is.

The more important issue is that either there was willful bait 'n switch or, more likely, an idiot salesman who made a huge mistake by not knowing his product. Even if the original poster decides the hard drive thingie is not that useful after all, he has been damaged and should either INSIST on a different car with the hard drive (at no additional cost) OR some other compensation ($2500 to $5000 in my mind sounds right for this error).
Old 03-16-08, 09:23 AM
jc3103
Rookie

Well, I have contacted the salesman and the salesmanager a number of times. Neither are taking it very serious. Offered to buy me dinner. Wondering if next step is Lexus corp. or GM. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-08, 09:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Both. Be aggressive. This is serious.
Old 03-16-08, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

buy you a dinner? i would almost take that as an insult.
Old 03-16-08, 11:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

You need to contact your state Attorney General as well. I am SURE that as soon as they dealership gets your attention they'll reluctantly remedy the problem.

Quick Reply: Nav system not as expected