LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

20" Wheels for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 12:18 PM
ironhorse
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lsrider, For me I liked the 20's the best, I feel they look good and had more side wall, but again it is a matter of your taste. I would look around and talk to as many people you can to see what everyone thinks and go from there. This site is great and everyone is real friendly and I am sure you get all the info you need to make the right choice for you. Pics always help so you can see what the car will look like.
Old 03-16-08, 02:24 PM
audvid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
welcome to clublexus.

i don't know enough details but i will share some points

1) i don't know what 40c means (did you mean to type 40mm offset instead of 20mm?). i assume it's 40mm. that's very high offset for the wheel. my 9.5 front has offset in the 20s if i remember right. with the wheel stick IN for another 20mm, i don't know if you will hit any suspension inside. keep in mind 9.5 is pretty wide for the ls460 front

2) 8.5 35 will probably fit ok, but as mentioned above, still stick in a bit, and of course 8.5 i think it's too narrow for a huge car like the ls460l

3) you really have to be careful on the brake clearance. the front calipers on the ls460 is huge, and of course you have larger diameter brakes as well with the touring. you need to make sure the wheel spokes clear the calipers

4) if you don't have tpms, you will have a light on the dash
are you sure your 9.5 wheels are 20mm offset? I just saw that oem 18" 460 wheels are 32mm offset. To repeat the question, going from 32mm t0 40mm would move the tires in or out of the car? Also, I just noticed that there is only about 25mm gap between the inside wall of tire and the closest suspension. I think one would need a cad package to truly determine whether or not the 20X9.5 40C (c is for Chrome) would work or not. I hope discount tire has verified it. Tirerack, as I sad earlier, is very good at such things. I just found that tirerack also has a 20X8.5 40mm offset tire. I doubt if the extra large caliper on my car would be a problem because I am actually going for a larger inner diameter wheel.. well anything is possible of course because of the possible interference due to design of the tire.. I too debated about the 21" tire but I am concerned about the ride quality. Has anyone installed 21" wheels? If so, your comments would be appreciated..
Old 03-16-08, 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow there are a lot of questions i will answer them tonight when i have time
Old 03-16-08, 07:21 PM
JKarger
Rookie

Wink

Generally when you order wheels for your car they will ask you what type of car they're going on. They should know the offset and wheel size that goes with your car. I like Rom have 22's and mine are if you measure inside the wheel to outside the wheel are 9.5's and 11's which fit perfectly on the car.

Rom are you sure your front is a 8.5 that seems narrow for a 265 tire?

Like Rom said it is a personal choice but 20's are so close to the factory size to spend so much money it seems like a better choice to go with 22's IMO. 21's alot of the time are more $$$ because the tires are $$$ and your choices are more limited. But it does affect your ride but seem fine to me. Remember it cost to look good you have to give up ride but it looks soooo good.
Old 03-16-08, 08:02 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME LSRIDER
Old 03-16-08, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok so let me answer some questions here. please keep in mind these are my opinions. could be wrong

to audvid:

1) yes i have 22x9.5 front and 22x10.5 rear. kind of wished i went with 11 rear but doesn't matter much i guess. i don't have touring package, but actually that doesn't affect much on wheel clearance. if anything, touring should have a bit more clearance on the sways

also, touring doesn't have larger calipers, it's the same calipers but the rotors are larger on the touring, and i believe it has more aggressive pads?

2) 8.5 wheel is definitely ok. nothing wrong with them, and they can get on the car just fine. but to me if you are doing aftermarket, do wider. that's the problem with stock wheels imho, they are too narrow when you look from the back. get wider wheels and it looks better. it's pure cosmetic

3) on offsets, it's a science. i can't fully understand what you were trying to say in your msg, but overall, offset is very tricky coz' it's relative to a) the wheel width, and b) to the center point of the wheel, not inside or outside. so calculations can get tricky sometimes.

a general rule of thumb. for the same width wheels (keep in mind offset is meaningless without width), the lower the offset, the more it sticks OUT.

4) i am pretty sure my front wheels are NOT 22x9.5 +20mm. but it's probably high 20s to low 30s. it's around there. i put them on and i have no rubbing issues at all. i don't know about my current clearance inside, but for sure i am not hitting anything.

my rears are very aggressive and need fender mods

5) lip size depends on a lot of factors, offsets being one, but almost greatly depends on the wheel / spoke design. but in general, if you choose the right disk type, lower offset could gain you more lip (not always)

6) i really don't know the spec of stock wheels, but assume 18x7.5 +32 (remember, offsets need to go with widths). if so, then for 8.5 +40, the outside is 4mm more outboard from the stock. 9.5 +40 is 17mm more outboard.

7) larger wheels only give you more clearance on brakes in terms of overall diameter, you don't have to worry about that. you just need to worry about the spokes clearing the caliper.

of course, with larger wheels (and generally heavier), it will affect braking a bit due to inertia. there is a reason why i have 15" brembo setup

hope i answered all
Old 03-16-08, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JKarger
Generally when you order wheels for your car they will ask you what type of car they're going on. They should know the offset and wheel size that goes with your car. I like Rom have 22's and mine are if you measure inside the wheel to outside the wheel are 9.5's and 11's which fit perfectly on the car.

Rom are you sure your front is a 8.5 that seems narrow for a 265 tire?

Like Rom said it is a personal choice but 20's are so close to the factory size to spend so much money it seems like a better choice to go with 22's IMO. 21's alot of the time are more $$$ because the tires are $$$ and your choices are more limited. But it does affect your ride but seem fine to me. Remember it cost to look good you have to give up ride but it looks soooo good.

ooops, did i say i have 8.5 somewhere? sorry, i have 9.5 front and 10.5 rear. front i have 265, and rear 295 tires
Old 03-17-08, 05:08 AM
audvid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JKarger
It seems that you feel that the ride is fine on your 22s. Can you please post the exact tire and wheel size (including offset, if you know it) you are using. I assume you have had no fender/suspension mods. Thank you.
Old 03-17-08, 05:13 AM
audvid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
ok so let me answer some questions here. please keep in mind these are my opinions. could be wrong

to audvid:

1) yes i have 22x9.5 front and 22x10.5 rear. ..

my rears are very aggressive and need fender mods

of course, with larger wheels (and generally heavier), it will affect braking a bit due to inertia. there is a reason why i have 15" brembo setup

hope i answered all
Thank you for your kind response. You too have 22s? I am really concerned about ride quality with 22s! Is it not too bumpy? I realize it looks great of course.. Whats a brembo setup? I assume its a brake option? how much does it cost? If you have pictures of your car, it would be interesting..
Old 03-17-08, 06:25 AM
audvid
Driver School Candidate

It seems like some of you might be spending $5000 or more for the wheels. I want to stay under $2000. I found this place.

Set of four chrome wheels and tires - whether 20" or 22" cost only around $1600. If anyone else has experience with a good source in that price range, please post..

Thank you.
Old 03-17-08, 08:36 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by audvid
It seems like some of you might be spending $5000 or more for the wheels. I want to stay under $2000. I found this place.

Set of four chrome wheels and tires - whether 20" or 22" cost only around $1600. If anyone else has experience with a good source in that price range, please post..

Thank you.
In my opinion $1600 for 22' rims and tires sound kinda cheap. I would be concerned as to what the quality is on a wheel that cheap especially to put on a 70K plus car. Then again you get what you pay for.

I would suggest you contact Derrick at D2Autosport. He is a very well known vendor here on CL. I am sure he can steer you in the right direction...

Good Luck
Old 03-17-08, 09:21 AM
Saudi
Driver

22" take it or leave it...
with 20 you will not feel that you did any thing...
Old 03-17-08, 10:01 AM
audvid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Saudi
22" take it or leave it...
with 20 you will not feel that you did any thing...
I think you are probably correct! I should start exploring 22" more. I am just scared that the ride might be too bumpy!

Last edited by audvid; 03-17-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 10:26 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

You know what? I think you are probably correct! I should start exploring 22" more. I am just scared that the ride might be too bumpy!
The ride is not bad at all. To be honest it is very minimal. When I compare it to the ride I had on my GS with 20"s it is even better. I love my 22's.
Tires also have a big role in the ride comfort, so consider going with a good tire as well.
Old 03-17-08, 10:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

It seems that you feel that the ride is fine on your 22s. Can you please post the exact tire and wheel size (including offset, if you know it) you are using. I assume you have had no fender/suspension mods. Thank you.
Thank you for your kind response. You too have 22s? I am really concerned about ride quality with 22s! Is it not too bumpy? I realize it looks great of course.. Whats a brembo setup? I assume its a brake option? how much does it cost? If you have pictures of your car, it would be interesting..
jason (JKarger) and i both have lwb and we have oem air suspension. both of our cars are lowered on air controller. it gives a better and smoother ride than springs/shocks, so that helps. other owners with springs/shocks and 22s can comment their side

i already posted links to pictures of my car earlier in the thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323141

yes, brembo is one of the most premium brakes companies out there, it's a brake upgrades.

Thank you.
5 grands for a set of good quality 22s is normal. imho 3-4k for a set of good quality 20s is my "norm". 1600 bucks for a set of 20s or 22s, i would be very skeptical about their finish and quality. that's my opinion

Quick Reply: 20" Wheels for LS460