LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Great Gas Mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 06:45 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Great Gas Mileage!

I took a trip from Dallas to Houston this weekend and averaged 28.8 MPG at 75-85 MPH. All the way home I was in the "Rocking Chair" and was able to do 85-95 MPH and averaged 26.3 MPG.

WOW! 380 HP V8 -- I was shocked -- and very pleased.

Anyone else getting mileage like this? Maybe the 2008 LS is designed to cruise above 70 MPH.
Old 03-31-08, 08:20 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months back I took a second trip to Florida and back; had my CC set at 75 mph and averaged 29.2 MPG on both the trips. At first I thought that these numbers were just by fluke, but I am also very happy and pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-31-08, 08:50 AM
garyr
Pole Position

I care about gas mileage but I'm focused on range on long trips. Just took a trip and went 570 miles on one tank, unbelievable range. I could have probably went close to 40 miles more but did not want to run the risk of running out of fuel.

I filled the tank up myself and I was able to squeeze in almost 3 more gallons after the pump clicked off. I filled it right up to the top of the neck.

I'm very pleased with the rage of these cars as well.
Old 03-31-08, 09:07 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

garyr -- be careful not to fill the tank that high too often -- it may ruin the charcoal canister and create check engine light emission codes.

Glad to here you got over 26 MPG
Old 03-31-08, 09:46 AM
98LS
Rookie

These cars are amazing. I have a 98 LS 400 and it's getting between 27-29 on the highway at 75 mph. I think that's great for a 10 year old car.

It's even more amazing that the LS 460 with its much bigger engine gets the great mileage that it does. It comes down to incredible engineering on these cars.
Old 03-31-08, 10:21 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jlawr
I took a trip from Dallas to Houston this weekend and averaged 28.8 MPG at 75-85 MPH. All the way home I was in the "Rocking Chair" and was able to do 85-95 MPH and averaged 26.3 MPG.

WOW! 380 HP V8 -- I was shocked -- and very pleased.

Anyone else getting mileage like this? Maybe the 2008 LS is designed to cruise above 70 MPH.

The answer is an unequivocal YES! Now that the temperatures have warmed up a little here in the upper Midwest, I have been getting 27-29 mpg on the highway and about 19-20 in the city on my 2008 LS460L. If you want good gas mileage in the city you CANNOT "floor" the accelerator. You have to treat it like you are driving a hybrid; i.e anticipate stops, slowly accelerate, and try not to make too many stops. I am kind of taking a middle of the road approach in city driving. I don't gun it but on the other hand I don't baby it either. Yes indeed, this car is amazingly good on gas mileage considering its size and weight. Once the high temperatures reach the 60s or 70s here, I am going to try for 30 mpg on the highway. Do you think I will reach it ?
Old 03-31-08, 10:32 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, those are great numbers! I cant wait for my first road trip
Old 03-31-08, 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah the freeway gas mileage of this car is pretty insane imho... great
Old 03-31-08, 12:26 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

On my '99 LS400 if I kept the speed below 75 on long trips it would get right at 30 MPG.

There is a noticeable difference during the winter months when the front range urban corridor of CO, our touchie-feelie state, goes over to the ethenol-mandated fuels then the mileage drops two to three MPG...really.

Haven't had a chance to check the new '08 yet.

Whit
Old 03-31-08, 12:57 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
There is a noticeable difference during the winter months when the front range urban corridor of CO, our touchie-feelie state, goes over to the ethenol-mandated fuels then the mileage drops two to three MPG...really.

Whit
We're pretty much on ethanol year-round here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, since the EPA decided our pollution levels are higher than they like, and you're right - 10% ethanol reduces mileage roughly 10%. That would mean a car getting 30 on "real" gasoline would drop 2-3 mpg on ethanol blends.

When we go on trips away from this area, my mileage always jumps up a couple mpg after I burn off this crap fuel and get the real stuff.

Don't mean to go political here, but our country needs to decide what its priorities are - conserving fuel or meeting unrealistic air standards. I'm willing to sneeze a few extra times for better mileage.

Old 03-31-08, 02:42 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
We're pretty much on ethanol year-round here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, since the EPA decided our pollution levels are higher than they like, and you're right - 10% ethanol reduces mileage roughly 10%. That would mean a car getting 30 on "real" gasoline would drop 2-3 mpg on ethanol blends.

When we go on trips away from this area, my mileage always jumps up a couple mpg after I burn off this crap fuel and get the real stuff.

Don't mean to go political here, but our country needs to decide what its priorities are - conserving fuel or meeting unrealistic air standards. I'm willing to sneeze a few extra times for better mileage.

Mike,

We are rapidly reaching the point when both liberals and conservatives are realizing that Ethanol is NOT the answer to our energy crisis. After today's major USDA corn acreage and corn stocks report that indicated we will basically have no corn left by next year, I would not at all be surprised if the ethanol mandates are lifted as early as sometime this year. But since this is a major political election coming up, they may wait until next year to lift the mandates. We just do not have enough corn to go around, period.
Old 03-31-08, 03:30 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Corn shortage = Whisky shortage...
OMG!!!

Old 03-31-08, 03:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Corn shortage = Whisky shortage...

Gotta agree about the MPG; once the engine was broken in, my car started yielding up to 650 kilometres (450 miles) per fillup in City only driving. Amazing for this type of automobile...
Old 03-31-08, 03:35 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Mike,

We are rapidly reaching the point when both liberals and conservatives are realizing that Ethanol is NOT the answer to our energy crisis. After today's major USDA corn acreage and corn stocks report that indicated we will basically have no corn left by next year, I would not at all be surprised if the ethanol mandates are lifted as early as sometime this year. But since this is a major political election coming up, they may wait until next year to lift the mandates. We just do not have enough corn to go around, period.
Well, I hope you're right. After all, I don't think it speaks well of us as superior beings when we burn our food as fuel.

Old 03-31-08, 10:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you guys are getting good fuel economy....yikes it just passed $4 at some places here in SoCal.

Quick Reply: Great Gas Mileage!