LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Introduces New LS 450, LS 500, LS-F Luxury Sedan Models???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 10:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Lexus Introduces New LS 450, LS 500, LS-F Luxury Sedan Models???

Lexus Introduces New LS 450, LS 500, LS-F Luxury Sedan Models for 2009-2010

03/31/2008 Torrance, CA March 31, 2008 - Lexus announces the newest versions of its LS flagship sedan range for 2009, the LS 450 with a redesigned 350-horsepower 4.5-liter V8, the LS 500 with a 415-horsepower 5.0-liter V8, and for 2010 the exciting new LS-F high-performance sedan. The 2009 LS 450 and LS 500 models are equipped with the Lexus eight-speed automatic transmission, a world first in the automotive industry. The LS 450 becomes the newest addition to the LS lineup, providing similar power and performance as its more powerful siblings and offering improved fuel efficiency. The LS 500 will replace the LS 460 in the LS lineup, sporting more power and performance and improved fuel efficiency compared with its predecessor. The LS 500 will be available in both standard (LS 500) and long wheelbase (LS 500 L) models. The high-performance LS-F, the next member of the Lexus F-Marque performance division, is in final development with firm specifications to be released.

Revised exterior styling details and enhanced interior luxury update the LS range for 2009, which also includes the only hybrid gasoline-electric vehicle in its segment, the ultra-luxury LS 600h L. All 2009 LS models are distinguished by revised front fascia styling, including a redesigned chrome grille surround and elongated foglamps. All models gain side-view-mirror turn signals, and the new LS 450 will offer new wheel designs. Additional selection of colors, including Black Diamond Pearl, Briar Rose Quartz, and Platinum Indigo, are also offered on the LS 450/LS 500/LS 500 L models. The cabin features enhanced Plasmacluster (TM) ion filtration technology, additional forward passenger side seat memory functions, and a new USB port with the available 19-speaker Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound System.

"The new LS 450 and LS 500 models demonstrate our commitment to improving the Lexus flagship in our continuing pursuit of perfection," said Mark Templin, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "We believe that offering a third engine option, plus an upgraded engine for our top-of-the-line gasoline-powered models, further establishes Lexus market leadership in this segment." On the subject of the 2010 LS-F, Templin added, "The coming LS-F represents a bold new approach to the performance flagship sedan arena, and is an exciting next step for Lexus." The new LS 450/LS 500 models are scheduled to debut by fall 2008.

Exceptional Performance from Two Improved Powerplants

Lexus offers the rear-wheel-drive gasoline-powered LS with two V8 engines featured on the LS 450 and LS 500/LS 500 L respectively. The LS 450 features 2008 EPA-estimated fuel mileage ratings of 21/25 mpg city/highway, with the LS 500/500 L achieving an EPA-estimated fuel-mileage rating of 17/24 mpg city/highway. Both models achieve the EPA's Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV-II) certification. The LS 450 utilizes a newly developed 1UR-FRE 4.5-liter V8 producing 350 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 352 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. On the LS 450, a revised direct fuel-injection system provides much finer fuel-mixture control to improve both power and fuel efficiency. Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-ii) acts on both intake and exhaust valves to further enhance performance through a wide rpm range. The LS 500/500 L utilize the 5.0-liter 1UR-FXE V8 first introduced on the LS 600h L. This engine has been revised for use in an exclusively gasoline-powered model to maximize efficiency and smoothness of operation.

The Exciting LS-F Flagship Sports Sedan for 2010

The goal for the LS-F is simple yet daunting: to build a flagship sedan with world-class performance that is uniquely Lexus. The "F" designation was first conceived nearly 20 years ago with a project internally coded "Circle-F," with the "F" standing for "flagship." This was the original code for what became the Lexus Division. The Circle-F designation further evolved into the code name Flagship One, or F1, and the first F1 concept developed into Lexus' first vehicle, the LS. Since then, the "F" code has come to signify a special vehicle program within Lexus that falls outside the normal engineering and development process. Preliminary specifications for the LS-F, to be offered only in standard wheelbase form, include a 6.0-liter 3UR-FXE V8 producing over 530 horsepower mated to a multi-speed Sport Direct-Shift (SPDS) automatic transmission, an electronically-governed top speed of 172 mph, and 0-60 performance in under 4.8 seconds. Further details for the LS-F will be announced in the near future.

Striking Design and Lexus Attention to Detail

Inside the LS 450/LS 500 flagships, soft passenger touch points create a relaxed atmosphere, with additional stitching for a rich look. Even the angles on the center console were optimized to enhance comfort for the driver and front passenger. Tasteful wood and chrome trim as well as refinements to the interior lighting create a rich ambience.

The long-wheelbase LS 500 L offers nearly five inches more rear legroom than the standard-wheelbase LS 500 model for a total "couple distance" (hip-to-hip space between the front and rear seat) of 45.5 inches. Making the most of the added room, the long-wheelbase model offers exclusive rear seat area luxury options.

Executive Class Package – the Ultimate in Comfort

The Executive Class Seating Package for the LS 500 L includes a rear-seat entertainment system featuring the world's first ceiling-mounted 3.0 VGA high-quality display with a nine-inch screen that deploys via electronic motor. This comprehensive package also equips the LS 500 L with four-zone independent front and rear air conditioning with Lexus' Air Purification system, Plasmacluster (TM) ion filter, and the world's first ceiling climate diffusers; rear-door power sunshades with a fixed rear console and foldout table, and a right rear-seat recliner with ottoman leg rest. A multi-function massage feature includes an enhanced massage mode for the right-rear seat. The massage feature can be used alone or in conjunction with the seat heater or cooler.

Advanced and Dynamic Handling Control for the Flagship

The Lexus LS 450/LS 500 provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive integrations of vehicle-safety technology in the market today. Active safety features include the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, which by itself integrates and manages the Electronically Controlled Brake (ECB) system, EPS, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Antilock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and engine torque via the electronically controlled throttle.

Taking input from an array of sensors in the vehicle, VDIM anticipates the onset of a vehicle skid or slide while cornering, and it then helps correct the condition with a combination of braking, throttle, and steering control in a way that is essentially transparent to the driver. The VDIM system gathers data from more sources – processed earlier and more quickly than in previous systems – to help make operation in the LS even more seamless and effective. For specific conditions, the VSC function can also be temporarily disabled by the driver via the "Trac Off" button.

A New Standard in Occupant Safety

The LS 450/LS 500 is standard-equipped with eight airbags, including side curtain airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags and knee airbags for the driver and front passenger. Rear seat side airbags are also available. The standard Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) helps to illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.

The Best in Onboard Information and Entertainment

Lexus LS sedans have long set the standard for onboard entertainment and information features that are both rewarding and easy to use. The available 19-speaker, 450-watt Mark Levinson® Reference Surround Sound system creates a new benchmark for mobile audio systems with its theater-level entertainment experience. The system includes a DVD/CD changer and 40 GB Hard Disc Drive (HDD). A portion of the HDD is dedicated to storing up to 3,000 (128-bit) digital songs. An auxiliary jack located in the front center console connects an iPod® or MP3-capable digital music player. A USB port is new for 2009.

The available Lexus Navigation System for the LS 450/LS 500 (standard on LS 500 L) includes a hard disk drive (HDD) for faster calculations, and the Bluetooth® technology features voice input of telephone numbers while driving. A rear back-up camera is included as part of the navigation package. The camera automatically projects an image of what its lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in reverse gear.

Advanced Production Processes Ensure Highest-ever Quality

Lexus developed a build process specifically for the new LS line at its award-winning assembly plant in Tahara, Japan. With remarkable levels of fit, finish, and refinement – achieved through the combined skill, knowledge, and pride of Lexus master craftsmen (called "takumi") and advanced technology – the LS models exemplify "world's best."

For example, the painting process was thoroughly changed from the previous-generation LS. During the application of alternating layers of paint and coatings, each L is hand-sanded twice in key areas. This process smoothes and refines the painted surfaces and enhances the deep, mirror-like quality of the finish. New six-axis buffing robots with three-dimensional movements were built so that curved surfaces and ends can be polished as well.

Premium Protection

All new Lexus vehicles come with a 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48-months/unlimited miles. Powertrain and restraint system coverage is provided for 72 months/70,000 miles. Corrosion perforation protection is covered for 72 months, regardless of mileage.

# # # Contact: Lexus Public Relations
Press embargo date: 04/01/2008
Public Web site: http://www.lexus.com
Media Web site: http://www.pressroom.lexus.com
----------------------------------------------------------
Edit:**********APRIL FOOLS!************
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Introduces New LS 450, LS 500, LS-F Luxury Sedan Models???-tyt200710403498253288-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 04-01-08 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add pics; rest of press release excerpt
Old 03-31-08, 10:39 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee, I didn't even pick up an LS 460 yet and they are coming out with a new LS 450 and LS 500, LS-F. Wow! This better not be an April fools joke!

Last edited by LexusChris; 03-31-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have been privately talking to my toyota/lexus contact regarding the ls-f. hopefully i will be able to obtain one of the first. seriously, seeing the 600hl, the ls-f is one car i can't miss
Old 03-31-08, 10:50 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have been privately talking to my toyota/lexus contact regarding the ls-f. hopefully i will be able to obtain one of the first. seriously, seeing the 600hl, the ls-f is one car i can't miss
but i thought you were laying low and driving a camry.....
Old 03-31-08, 11:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW this is big news from Lexus!! Can't wait to hear the specs of the LS-F. It'd better have a TT V-12 or something. (EDIT: Oops didn't read that it's still gonna have a V-8. Bummer.)

It's also funny how in a previous thread everyone was guessing that either the GS-F or the LF-A would make it to the second F model. Turns out it's the LS, ha!

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-31-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
but i thought you were laying low and driving a camry.....
just like the movie, "i will be back!"

and come on now, that's a corolla not camry!
Old 03-31-08, 11:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Supposedly more pictures are forthcoming, stay tuned to ClubLexus.com...

Last edited by encore888; 03-31-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 11:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus PR
Lexus offers the rear-wheel-drive gasoline-powered LS with two V8 engines featured on the LS 450 and LS 500/LS 500 L respectively. The LS 450 features 2008 EPA-estimated fuel mileage ratings of 21/25 mpg city/highway, with the LS 500/500 L achieving an EPA-estimated fuel-mileage rating of 17/24 mpg city/highway. Both models achieve the EPA's Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV-II) certification. The LS 450 utilizes a newly developed 1UR-FRE 4.5-liter V8 producing 350 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 352 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. On the LS 450, a revised direct fuel-injection system provides much finer fuel-mixture control to improve both power and fuel efficiency. Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-ii) acts on both intake and exhaust valves to further enhance performance through a wide rpm range. The LS 500/500 L utilize the 5.0-liter 1UR-FXE V8 first introduced on the LS 600h L. This engine has been revised for use in an exclusively gasoline-powered model to maximize efficiency and smoothness of operation.
DUAL VVT-i = VVT-ii?? Does anyone at Lexus proof read their PR or is this really a new term? The letter "R" in the 4.5L engine's code name is new though and makes me wonder what it implies.

There's also no mention of the LS500's engine output. I suppose it's tuned higher than its hybrid application as is typically the case. (EDIT: doh...I missed the 415hp part so it is indeed more powerful than the hybrid's 5.0L and is only 2 hp shy of the IS-F.)

Finally, there's no mention of the rumored AWD. Hopefully it turns out to be just an omission in the PR rather than a false rumor.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-31-08 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 11:31 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

so they will have ls 450, 500, and F w/ hybrid drivetrain (FXE = hybrid)

i also have a feeling that the ls 450 wont' be offered in the states.

hopefully the gs460 will finally have 380hp+ after these changes.

Last edited by ElitistK; 03-31-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 12:24 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

grr april fools is making me so paranoid

although, since i do have common sense, im going to say this is fake

why on earth would they make the change so close to introduction. also, why would they make their flagship weaker than the genesis. just doesnt make sense.

Last edited by RXSF; 04-01-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 12:45 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
grr april fools is making me so paranoid

although, since i do have common sense, im going to say this is fake

why on earth would they make the change so close to introduction. also, why would they make their flagship weaker than the genesis. just doesnt make sense.
Well the new flagship has 415hp so it does beat the Genesis... but you do have a good point!

Seeing how all the April Fools pranks popping up one after another, I too now believe that the whole PR is fake. It's too short, it's got some questionable engine codes (why would the regular gasoline 5.0L use the hybrid's letter "X", and why would the 4.5L use the number "1", which is already used to indicate 4.6L), and it's got the press date of "03/31/2008 Torrance, CA March 31, 2008" which simply cannot be true if the embargo date is 04/01/2008.

Damn encore888 you really had me going for a while!
Old 04-01-08, 03:27 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

FYI only an excerpt of the press release was posted initially.
Old 04-01-08, 04:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Is this an April fools joke?

Somehow I have a feeling that a potential Lexus LS-F is going to be a colossal flop. The LS has a solid reputation as one of the best luxury cruisers in the business with passenger comfort being the highest priority. Most consumer buying it know it is not as sporty as its European rivals but they don't care. The LS customer places comfort on top, generally.

Granted, the market for an LS-F is out there, yet it is most likely very small and hardly worth the effort. Furthermore the LS has never been considered a very sporty car to begin with. The Audi A8 started out as a sporty luxury limousine (Audi V8 it was called) in the 1980s and the Mercedes S class, while always being luxury focused, did have legendary halo cars like the 300SEL 6.3 and 450SEL 6.9 which established a sporty reputation for certain S class models.

I do wonder what an LS-F will look like. Lexus better not add the IS-F body kit styling to it, because that just doesn't belong on a car usually bought by "not so young people".
Old 04-01-08, 04:57 AM
george1688
Driver

Unhappy

This better be an April's fools joke. The car is only out in the market for more than a year and they are already giving it a facelift. I just got my car and I really hope that there will be no facelift anytime soon. The S-Class is introduced 1 year earlier to the market than the LS and there is no facelift yet, so I don't see a need to give the LS a minor change.
Old 04-01-08, 05:48 AM
mistermet
Rookie

There's nothing on the North American Toyota/Scion/Lexus Pressroom site regarding anything like this.

Quick Reply: Lexus Introduces New LS 450, LS 500, LS-F Luxury Sedan Models???