LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drive belt replaced with pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 03:15 AM
mduffin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive belt replaced with pulleys?

My Lexus dealer performed the pulley replacement service last week. I still have the clicking noise in the engine compartment so I contacted the dealer to be sure all the parts were replaced. The dealer says the drive belt is not replaced as part of the recall. Since, presumably, the service was completed I threw away the service notice. Does anyone have their notice with the text explaining the service to be performed?
Old 04-08-08, 06:37 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check when I get home to see what they changed. For whats it's worth my car has a slight ticking sound. You hear it when you are in the garage or near a wall at idle. The dealer told me it was the injectors and that it was normal.

Check this TSIB out. http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-EG014-07.pdf
Old 04-08-08, 02:58 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Lexus Division
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Avenue
PO.Box 2991
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
LSC 8LA — 2007 MODEL YEAR LS 460 AND LS 460L IDLER PULLEYS
LIMITED SERVICE CAMPAIGN
LIMITED TIME OFFER
Dear Lexus Customer:
Lexus is dedicated to the “Pursuit of Perfection”.
We are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continuing efforts to provide superior
customer satisfaction, Lexus is announcing a Limited Service Campaign Program, which includes your vehicle.
What is the condition?
During the manufacturing process of two idler pulleys for the engine accessory drive V-belt, foreign materials may have been present in the resin. This condition may lead to a rattle or squeak noise coming from the engine compartment. Over the long term, it may affect the expected service life of the two idler pulleys and the accessory drive V-belt.
What is included in this Limited Service Campaign?
Before you are inconvenienced by this condition, any Lexus dealer will replace the two involved idler pulleys with newly designed ones, as well as install a new accessory drive V-belt at NO CHARGE to you for a limited time. This program will be offered until March 31,2011, and will only be available at your authorized Lexus dealer.
All terms of your Lexus Basic Warranty will remain intact regardless of whether or not you take advantage of this
Limited Service Campaign. Additional details on your vehicles Lexus Basic Warranty coverage can be found in your
Owners Warranty and Service Guide booklet.
How do you take advantage of this Limited Service Campaign?
Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to replace the two involved idler pulleys and accessory drive V-belt before March 31, 2011. The repair will take approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.
We request that you present this notice to the dealer at the time of your service appointment.
If you no longer own the vehicle, please indicate s,p on the enclosed postage-paid form, providing us with the name and address of the new owner.
What if you have other questions?
Your local Lexus dealer will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and set up an appointment to perform the repair. If you require further assistance, you may contact the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987 Monday through Friday, 5:00 am ko 6:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am through 4:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.
If you are a vehicle lessor, please assist us by forwarding this notice to the lessee.
We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.
Thank you for driving a Lexus.
Sincerely,
Lexus Division
TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A., INC. ______________________
Old 04-09-08, 04:17 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

There is another thread in here where I explained everything about the recall, as well as given VIN ranges.

Two engine idler pulleys AND the engine drive belt are to be replaced. Take note though, the person you talked to may have been misinformed on the recall and may not know that the drive belt has been replaced, when the technician probably did replace it. As I have said before, I personally dont think replacing the belt is necessary, but was a good 'extra' step for Lexus to take. A new belt comes in the kit and I doubt a technician would not replace it since the old one is off anyway.

As far as the clicking noise, I would definitely recommend you take it back to the dealer to have that diagnosed.
Old 06-02-08, 09:52 PM
ihatekimch
Driver School Candidate

Hey, mduffin and Garyr
did you guys fix this issue already??
I have same problem. From the driver seat, I can hear this engine noise, which is louder than my 2000 Toyota avalon. I was thinking this car will have
ultra quiet engine noise, or am I expecting too much?? ㅜ.ㅜ
Old 06-02-08, 10:28 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the direct injection system is noisier than the previous incarnation, but fuel mileage is better, pretty good trade nearing $5/gallon.
Old 06-06-08, 05:41 AM
mduffin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ihatekimch
Hey, mduffin and Garyr
did you guys fix this issue already??
I have same problem. From the driver seat, I can hear this engine noise, which is louder than my 2000 Toyota avalon. I was thinking this car will have
ultra quiet engine noise, or am I expecting too much?? ㅜ.ㅜ
Turns out the noise is from the fuel system & lack of sound insulation. The dealer demonstrated the noise was "normal" by having me sit in other new LS460s running at idle. I was told the engine noise was a combination of:

1. Direct injection system uses a cam with a very large lobe which causes a noticable cyclical sound as the cam operates the pump. Sounds a bit like a diesel truck engine to me.

2. Less sound deadening is used (compared to previous three generations of LS) to transfer more engine sound to the passenger compartment in an attempt to compete with BMW. On hard acceleration the engine does sound better than previous LS generations but pales when compared to BMW and Audi. At idle though it sounds terrible.

This is my fourth LS (1990, 1997, 2001 & 2007) and by far the loudest. I want a return to the quiet days of the past. The LS historically was well regarded for its quiet interior. I think Lexus corporate/design is afraid of their shadow(s). Will creating a noisy cabin really help the LS compete? It's not working for me.
Old 06-14-08, 11:40 PM
ihatekimch
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess it's something that I have to live with rest of my........ Thanks again. ^^