LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wanna pick any nits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 11:17 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
ls460 has 2 tps settings available from what i was told
They called Lexus and they said the '08 LS460 doesn't have this feature. The Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about it either. My '06 GS430 describes it completely.

Whit
Old 09-30-08, 02:31 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As most know on this forum I don't own a LS460 but am advising my boss on techno features. As a auto detailer on the weekends I have driven 100's of cars. Some of the features in the new LS make sense some don't.

In my prospective, some things where functionally installed on a vehicle for safety reasons such as the parking brake. The older Lexus had the feature where you pressed in the p/b and depressed it. This to me was a simple design and very effective. No on the LS460 you have to press a button no where near the p/b.

Then there is the chrome trim around the windows. I really feel that they used a very cheap method for these trims and they seem to be prone to early oxidation, but it will take another couple of years to determine this.

The paint is extremely prone to scratches even using a microfiber cloth. The older models are the same. The car is also prone to water spots if not dried in time. I talked him/owner into getting full protective package for his car. Hopefully he sticks by it and gets it.

This may sound crazy, but I enjoyed many features of my older cars that where less tech savvy and designed with function in mind.

I sit and think some times, what if some took the best features of all Luxury cars and created the ultimate Luxury car. What would that car mean to you. What features would you like to see?
Old 09-30-08, 06:34 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
My biggest complaints on my $70K 2008 LS460 are:

15. Decoding the TPMS signal to indicate 'which' tire is low would be helpful. Others are doing it.

My 07 SRT8 JGC had this,on this display it would show you a pic of the car and what tire is low,Im thinking they can do this because the rims are 8.5'' front and 10'' wide rear(staggered fittment) witch means you (cant) rotate them.They are always in the same spot.On the LS all the rims are the same so you (can) rotate them,So if the sensors were placed in order,once you rotate your tires they would be all mixed up on the display.So I can understand why they dont display them in an orderly fashion

Last edited by Whipple1; 09-30-08 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-30-08, 07:31 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slybydesig
The older Lexus had the feature where you pressed in the p/b and depressed it. This to me was a simple design and very effective. No on the LS460 you have to press a button no where near the p/b.

Then there is the chrome trim around the windows. I really feel that they used a very cheap method for these trims and they seem to be prone to early oxidation, but it will take another couple of years to determine this.
Or you can leave the parking brake in Auto mode, which I do and not worry about it. The only time I use the manual setting is when I turn the engine off but still want the accessories left on. I then shift into park, and activate the park brake button manually.

As for the chrome, I doubt very much Lexus would stray away from their tradition and use materials that would oxidize in a couple of years. It would be pointless to equip the car with a state-of-the-art drive train and all the wizardry and quality coach works that went into the car and go cheap on the trim. Doesn't make much business sense to me. Toyota hasn't gotten to where it is today by cutting corners on the very flagship they are staking their reputation and future on.

As for the overall car (460 or 600), I really don't have anything bad to say about them, and that's speaking with 19 months of combined ownership under my belt. Everything thus far has been vastly superior to any other vehicle I have owned, and those who know me can tell you I'm not known for pulling punches.
Old 10-01-08, 04:34 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 423 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple1
My 07 SRT8 JGC had this,on this display it would show you a pic of the car and what tire is low,Im thinking they can do this because the rims are 8.5'' front and 10'' wide rear(staggered fittment) witch means you (cant) rotate them.They are always in the same spot.On the LS all the rims are the same so you (can) rotate them,So if the sensors were placed in order,once you rotate your tires they would be all mixed up on the display.So I can understand why they dont display them in an orderly fashion
My friend with a 4-5 year old Chevy Suburban has it too. Clear as day which tire has what pressure.
Old 10-01-08, 09:22 AM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by daryll40
My friend with a 4-5 year old Chevy Suburban has it too. Clear as day which tire has what pressure.
Thats funny I checked my moms 08 Honda CR-V and that has the same configuration as the LS does,Maybe the Japanese cant figure out this technology LOL .My friend works in a chevy dealer and I remember once he had a problem with a 07 impala or malibu pressure sensor ,he was complaining about hard it was for the car to locate a new sensor, they had to use the scan tool also,Maybe Lexus does it this way to avoid problems
Old 10-01-08, 11:52 AM
slybydesig
Rookie

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Or you can leave the parking brake in Auto mode, which I do and not worry about it. The only time I use the manual setting is when I turn the engine off but still want the accessories left on. I then shift into park, and activate the park brake button manually.

As for the chrome, I doubt very much Lexus would stray away from their tradition and use materials that would oxidize in a couple of years. It would be pointless to equip the car with a state-of-the-art drive train and all the wizardry and quality coach works that went into the car and go cheap on the trim. Doesn't make much business sense to me. Toyota hasn't gotten to where it is today by cutting corners on the very flagship they are staking their reputation and future on.

As for the overall car (460 or 600), I really don't have anything bad to say about them, and that's speaking with 19 months of combined ownership under my belt. Everything thus far has been vastly superior to any other vehicle I have owned, and those who know me can tell you I'm not known for pulling punches.
I totally understand your points. Plus I will not disagree with you based on the fact that you have way more knowledge and experience with the LS460/600. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to learn as much as I can so I can consult the owner because he is not as tech savvy. I guess all in all there are so many features to this car that makes it what it is. I do like a lot of the interior trim materials. I think they are superior to other makes and model trims in the same league. I had the opportunity to toy around with the the ES and RX which are both great cars. I have 0 complaints about the ES and wish I could own that one. Super sweet car with great appointments. The RX was also great but I am no longer an SUV fan, but the RX was one of the most feature rich SUV's I've ever been in, and that is comparing it to the G500 I have been in.