LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wanna pick any nits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 11:10 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanna pick any nits?

My biggest complaints on my $70K 2008 LS460 are:

1. NAV LOCKOUT - On my road trips there is usually someone sitting in the passenger seat that is perfectly capable of any enroute rerouting, the stuff now denied me. I bought the damn car because I wanted the Nav features, I think I should be able to use them when I want to.
Getting rid of the "I agree" button is a nice touch. Seems this same caveat could be integrated to let occupants use ther Nav whenever desired.

2. Same with some phone functions.

3. The trunk lighting is a joke...even a bat would get lost.

4. The glove box lighting doesn't exist unless the headlights are on. And then only one little enemic lamp for the lower shelf.

5. The is no underhood light. (Even though fuses lurk under there. Even the lowly Yugo had an under hood light)

Maybe all the Lexus engineers and Marketing wonks carry little flashlights around in their pocket-protectors...ya think? I've resorted to carrying one of those little 9-led flashlights in the overhead pocket.

6. Defogging the windshield seems to be a bigger deal than it has to be.

7. The 'jacking points' underneath seem ill thought out. The barrier that the jack pad is supposed to engage/straddle seems quite restrictive to any other kind of lifting pad. I have my wheels off often and had to cut a channel in a hardwood block to allow a regular floor jack pad to be used.

8. Also the 'jacking points' aren't very well defined for the tire shop dropout that doesn't have the Owners Manual and/or proper adapter.

9. "ALL" of the Owner's Preferences should be configurable on the dash.

10. There should be a multi-Memory Seat Position on the passenger side door too. (My '06 GS430 had it)

11. The center rear-view mirror should respond to the Memory button too.

12. Adjustable foot pedals would be nice, like the Hyundai's and others have.

13. The option to retain the compass heading in the mirror would be nice.

14. I know the OEM tires are only to provide the smoothest ride possible for any demo rides to make the sale, but they are really short-lived for the eventual owner.

15. Decoding the TPMS signal to indicate 'which' tire is low would be helpful. Others are doing it.

One of these days someone is going to devise a chip that will allow all the things Lexus doesn't personally approve of, like rolling Nav, Phone, DVD, etc. This might even also include an internal OBD-II diagnostic reader with trouble codes and operating parameters displayed on the console.

That 'someone' is going to make a mint of $$.

Whit

Last edited by WhitBaby; 04-08-08 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 11:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is already an override kit for nav and phone, where were you? contact PS at chung@prestigioussociety.com

i agree with some of the complaints and i think lexus can improve, but i have questions on the following

4) i never have issues with glove box light. if headlights aren't on, that means it's bright enough outside?

7) 8) i never had problem jacking up the car, the jack points are pretty well defined i think. right along the side is where you put the factory cheesy jack, otherwise you use a point that's more towards inside. the several shops i went to they had no problem jacking the car neither

11) curious, any cars out there does it?

12) on cars like minivan (i think honda odyssey) or suv, i can see. but on a sedan? plus the gas pedal doesn't hang from above, just like all other euros it's on the floor. not sure how to adjust that

13) that's why you have a 8" nav screen

14) i thought that's the case for most luxury cars like the s class, 7 series, and a8? or they are using all-season tires? i am curious
Old 04-08-08, 11:40 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
there is already an override kit for nav and phone, where were you? contact PS at chung@prestigioussociety.com

Why should we have to pay an exorbitant amount from a third source? The capability is already there.

i agree with some of the complaints and i think lexus can improve, but i have questions on the following

4) i never have issues with glove box light. if headlights aren't on, that means it's bright enough outside?

Or in the darkened garage.

7) 8) i never had problem jacking up the car, the jack points are pretty well defined i think. right along the side is where you put the factory cheesy jack, otherwise you use a point that's more towards inside. the several shops i went to they had no problem jacking the car neither

Sure...wasn't 'their' car! ;->

11) curious, any cars out there does it?

Dunno

12) on cars like minivan (i think honda odyssey) or suv, i can see. but on a sedan? plus the gas pedal doesn't hang from above, just like all other euros it's on the floor. not sure how to adjust that

The Hyundai VeraCruz has it, you can really custom-fit your weird spouse. That Hyundai VeraCruz is really quite an SUV, now that they finally have GPS, dollar for dollar.

13) that's why you have a 8" nav screen

The mirror is more in line with what you should be watching.

14) i thought that's the case for most luxury cars like the s class, 7 series, and a8? or they are using all-season tires? i am curious

I think these "Sales tires" are pretty much standard on luxury vehicles. That's why they have the ~20,000 miles caveat sticker on the windshield.

I have a Lexus too. Actually it's my fourth one and will be last unless they start making some changes.

Whit
Old 04-08-08, 12:14 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11) MB S class has this option. Haven't seen anywhere esle...
Old 04-08-08, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in your first post you said someone will come up with a chip and make a mint of money, and now you say why should anyone pay. i can't understand what you mean. and NO, the functionality of using nav while in motion is NOT there. that's why most of us paid

set your headlights to auto, it will come up in the garage and thus turning on the glove box light

i worked on my ls460l quite often as well and i didn't have issues jacking it up

yeah, so it's suv. but adjustment for pedals on sedan?

to me there are pros and cons for all cars. if lexus isn't your type, that's fine. most of the points you put up they pretty much apply to bmw and mb too (i know, someone is going to yell about the nav part already), but at the same time i can put up a few extra points on those cars that are off.

i have had 5 lexus as well. i do agree there are quite a few things that they could/should improve, but then again there is a reason why i am not owning other brands.
Old 04-08-08, 12:33 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Power should be off to the garage doors when the car is off, if someone smashes your window they can break into your house as well.

Cigarette lighter power shuts off when the key is of so to charge your cell phone if your at a hotel you have to turn the entire car on and sit in it and wait.

Get rid of the cheap Toyota switches and levers.

Make water base paint like MB does that does not chip away so easy. Just spent $600 for a clear bra.

Could not get a safety feature Lex Link with the L touring package.

As long as the car is unlocked the trunk should open, not just for who ever has the key with them, IE passenger tries to open trunk to get groceries out, they can't.

Pass front door will not unlock when you touch the drivers door, you have to touch the pass door on the drivers side for the front pass door to open. I had the car re-programmed at the dealer. Basically when you and your wife get in at the same time you have to unlock the drivers door again from the inside from the switch.
Old 04-08-08, 01:02 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

My father in Florida ("Compass Land") complains that the "base" version has the easy to read "N S E W" compass in the rear view mirror but the "upgrade" versions with NAV eliminate it. They only have the much harder to decipher compasses (especially for Florida geezers) in the NAV (that most geezers can't figure out either).
Old 04-08-08, 03:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by garyr
Power should be off to the garage doors when the car is off, if someone smashes your window they can break into your house as well.

Cigarette lighter power shuts off when the key is of so to charge your cell phone if your at a hotel you have to turn the entire car on and sit in it and wait.

Get rid of the cheap Toyota switches and levers.

Make water base paint like MB does that does not chip away so easy. Just spent $600 for a clear bra.

Could not get a safety feature Lex Link with the L touring package.

As long as the car is unlocked the trunk should open, not just for who ever has the key with them, IE passenger tries to open trunk to get groceries out, they can't.

Pass front door will not unlock when you touch the drivers door, you have to touch the pass door on the drivers side for the front pass door to open. I had the car re-programmed at the dealer. Basically when you and your wife get in at the same time you have to unlock the drivers door again from the inside from the switch.
isn't that you can program the CBEST setting so when you unlock the driver side, it unlocks all 4 doors?
Old 04-08-08, 03:23 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

I think that the garage door opener and the cigarette lighter should be programmable. In my case I would prefer to have BOTH live all the time...I had a Mercedes that had the garage door opener die when the engine was shut off. I hated that. But I can see where someone would want it that way.

And everyone has cell phones these days. Often you want to charge it overnight in the car.
Old 04-08-08, 03:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

My biggest complaints on my $70K 2008 LS460 are:

I would never buy a car where I had so many big complaints. I'd hate to hear all your small ones!
Old 04-08-08, 03:49 PM
midnite c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#14 My 05 ls 430 came with dunlop oem tires and I had to replace at 45,000miles I may have gone another 5,000 but I did not want to push my luck.
Old 04-08-08, 04:07 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS can be set up to open all doors when the driver's door is touched ... MINE does that, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Whit, I don't blame you for having some dislikes and voicing them. The LS isn't perfect, and those of us who have had many different cars find it odd that some features we are used to aren't on the LS.

I totally, totally totally agree with you on the Nav/phone lockout. I don't care that there's a $300 workaround - it just damn well shouldn't lock us out in the first place. Many cars - and all aftermarket Nav units - allow programming while in motion, and it irritates the heck out of me that Lexus doesn't.

I also agree on the TPMS display. There's no logical reason $75-80,000 cars have such primitive equipment - heck, even low-end cars show each tire independently. I have one tire that consistently shows 1-2 psi more then the other 3, and it makes me crazy that I can't find it. (Okay, I'm ****.)

Your other stuff I can live with, but I also would like the cruise control "On" button to freakin' stay on when you turn the key off. I have to turn it back on every time I start the car - something I didn't have to do with my other cars. Small thing, yes, but an unnecessary nuisance.

I kinda don't like the "trunk open" thing you mentioned - my BMW's did that, and I never felt totally sure someone couldn't walk up and get in it. I also like the garage door opener being "hot" with the key off. But my cars live in the garage.

Otherwise, not much to complain about. I really like my LS, BTW, in spite of the fact I can still be objective about it.

Old 04-08-08, 06:05 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I also agree on the TPMS display. There's no logical reason $75-80,000 cars have such primitive equipment .............. . I have one tire that consistently shows 1-2 psi more then the other 3, and it makes me crazy that I can't find it. (Okay, I'm ****.)

Nope you are not ****. You are in good company.
Old 04-09-08, 08:57 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

"Whit, I don't blame you for having some dislikes and voicing them. The LS isn't perfect, and those of us who have had many different cars find it odd that some features we are used to aren't on the LS."

There's not a doubt in my mind that the Lexus people do know HOW to do all these things...they simply CHOOSE not to include them.

Maybe they want to save some of these features for the next generations of Lexi. "See the wonderful "AND IMPROVED" new Lex at your dealers today!"

Whit
Old 04-09-08, 12:53 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
"Whit, I don't blame you for having some dislikes and voicing them. The LS isn't perfect, and those of us who have had many different cars find it odd that some features we are used to aren't on the LS."

There's not a doubt in my mind that the Lexus people do know HOW to do all these things...they simply CHOOSE not to include them.

Maybe they want to save some of these features for the next generations of Lexi. "See the wonderful "AND IMPROVED" new Lex at your dealers today!"

Whit
LOL. That's unquestionably true to some extent ... it's all part of marketing.

But in this competitive marketplace, it still surprises me that certain things that we see in other cars aren't in the Lexus flagship. Maybe patents and licenses play a role ... ?

Quick Reply: Wanna pick any nits?