LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 06:51 AM
Boger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil

Has any one of you guys switch to synthetic oil?
I知 due for 5000 service and I知 thinking of switching to synthetic.
Any opinions or comments appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-09-08, 08:28 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boger74
Has any one of you guys switch to synthetic oil?
I知 due for 5000 service and I知 thinking of switching to synthetic.
Any opinions or comments appreciated.
Thanks

I know Mobile 1 makes 0W-20 synthetic, that's probably the one I'll lean to when the time comes.

AMSOIL also makes it, but last I looked it was over $8/qt from them. It might be a decent product, but I'm wary of those pyramid schemes that distribute it. I also think even Toyota sells it cheaper than AMSOIL.

Whit
Old 04-09-08, 08:31 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions on this topic, but mine is this: Synthetic oil is good stuff, but it isn't a magic potion. It holds up longer than petroleum-based oil, and it provides better lubrication in certain conditions, but it still gets contaminated by dirt and acids and other gunk just like conventional oil.

The weak link in the whole thing is the the oil filter. While the synthetic will last twice as long as conventional oil in your crankcase, your oil filter probably won't. That means its bypass valve will open and let contaminated oil pass through, making the filter a lot less effective. Some "experts" even recommend changing your oil filter every 5,000 miles even if you don't change the synthetic oil but every 10,000. Like most people are really going to do that.

A good compromise might be one of the "half and half" synthetic/natural oil blends. They will give you a little better lubrication qualities than plain oil. Just keep the same oil/filter change interval as you would with dinosaur oil.

Otherwise, just keep using the good old petroleum oil.

Old 04-09-08, 08:37 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You'll get a lot of opinions on this topic, but mine is this: Synthetic oil is good stuff, but it isn't a magic potion. It holds up longer than petroleum-based oil, and it provides better lubrication in certain conditions, but it still gets contaminated by dirt and acids and other gunk just like conventional oil.

I didn't think "synthetic" oil was really synthetic. Isn't "synthetic" oil just super-refined regular dino oil?

I remember when Mobile 1 synthetic oil first came out the label touted "25,000" miles use. The manufacturers got them to take it off.

I think AMSOIL synthetic still says it's good to 25,000 miles.

Whit
Old 04-09-08, 10:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

at my 5k service i already put in synthetic
Old 04-09-08, 10:57 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I heard a story once where someone said he NEVER changed the synthetic oil in his car. He just changed the oil filter and then added oil to the full level. I think his filter was on the top of the engine.

My understanding is that if you take a little oil off the dip stick and put it between your thumb and forefinger, and it forms a little "string" when you separate your fingers slightly, there is enough viscosity left in the oil to protect your engine.

If the filter keeps the oil transparent, albeit dark, and you change the filter regularly, maybe you NEVER need to drain the oil.

Comments?
Old 04-09-08, 11:03 AM
fteiii
Driver School Candidate

Deadly to your engine. Mobil 1 and change it. The best oil made bar none.
Old 04-09-08, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fteiii
Deadly to your engine. Mobil 1 and change it. The best oil made bar none.
i wouldn't say mobil 1 is the best, i think stuff like amsoil are better. but for the price mobil 1 is what i use all the time

oil change doesn't cost much and that's not something i'd risk. not changing oil and just filter and top off, that doesn't sound right to me
Old 04-09-08, 12:48 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I didn't think "synthetic" oil was really synthetic. Isn't "synthetic" oil just super-refined regular dino oil?

I remember when Mobile 1 synthetic oil first came out the label touted "25,000" miles use. The manufacturers got them to take it off.

I think AMSOIL synthetic still says it's good to 25,000 miles.

Whit
Yep, it's man-made. Here is an excerpt borrowed from Wikipedia:

Synthetic oil is oil consisting of chemical compounds which were not originally present in crude oil (petroleum) but were artificially made (synthesized) from other compounds. Synthetic oil could be made to be a substitute for petroleum or specially made to be a substitute for a lubricant oil such as conventional (or mineral) motor oil refined from petroleum. When a synthetic oil or synthetic fuel is made as a substitute for petroleum, it is generally produced because of a shortage of petroleum or because petroleum is too expensive. When synthetic oil is made as a substitute for lubricant refined from petroleum, it is generally to provide superior mechanical and chemical properties than those found in traditional mineral oils.
(Emphasis mine.)

Old 04-09-08, 02:34 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

The LS 460 comes with synthetic oil from the factory. Mobil 1 and Toyota synthetic are the same oil. From what the dealer told me...

Just use 0W20 synthetic and you will be fine...

Craig
Old 04-09-08, 03:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

I've used synthetic oil ever since it bacame commercially available in the late 70's (Mobil 1).

In the 90's Consumer Reports did the most comprehensive, and independent, test of motor oils I have ever been aware of. They tested various motor oils, natural and synthetic, in NYC taxi cabs. They disasembled the engines on 75 cabs, measured and/or weighed all the critcal parts impacted by oil lubrication, ran the cars and then disassembled the engines again to measure wear. Long story short, there was no difference between natural and synthetic oil, and no difference whether the oil was changed every 3000 or 6000 miles. In the case of synthetic, it went 12,000 miles between changes with no measurable wear beyond engines with the oil changed every 3000 miles.

Personally, I change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles. My '90 300ZX had 145,000 hard driven miles on it, my wife's '95 Infiniti J30t had 172,000 miles in constant city traffic, and my currently owned '95 Infiniti Q45a has 155,400 miles. All 3 engines have run flawlessly. There is no doubt in my mind that the interval could be even longer, but I change it anyway not to hear even more grief from people I tell about the 10,000 mile interval!
Old 04-09-08, 04:44 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Doesn't the Lexus warranty require oil and filter to be changed at regular intervals so that it is not voided?
Old 04-09-08, 04:54 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

I'll be picking up my LS460L on Friday but am currently a member of the GX forums. In my research on oil changes for the GX I stumbled upon the Bob is the Oil Guy Forums.

The folks on these boards take this thread to the extreme but my take away was that Pennzoil Platinum seemed to be the consensus synthetic pick from a price/performance ratio. I have been using this in my GX for the past 2 changes.
Old 04-09-08, 06:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
My understanding is that if you take a little oil off the dip stick and put it between your thumb and forefinger, and it forms a little "string" when you separate your fingers slightly, there is enough viscosity left in the oil to protect your engine.
Interesting! You've just described the Billings method for predicting fertility...
Old 04-09-08, 07:17 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
The LS 460 comes with synthetic oil from the factory. Mobil 1 and Toyota synthetic are the same oil. From what the dealer told me...

Just use 0W20 synthetic and you will be fine...

Craig
Is that right??? I thought "Toyota Oil" was just dino oil that was formulated to Toyota spec's. The manual doesn't suggest that it is synthetic.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil