LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS fails Auto Motor und Sport braking test - AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 03:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
According to this recent review from Autozeitung, the GS450h also suffers from poor stopping power. I have seen this comment on many Toyota and Lexus products before in Europe.

Is it me, or do perhaps European Lexi get different braking systems for some reason? Or has it something to do with the tires?

http://autozeitung.de/online/render.php?render=0122465
It probably has more to do with how Europeans drive compared to US drivers. Most tests in the US that I have read only show stopping distance. I have rarely seen them test for brake fade like the European test did. Brake fade is a major issue unless all you do is drive to and from work. In an LS, I wouldn't consider it a major problem since that is all most owners will do anyway. I've experienced brake fade on cars just driving normally up and down the mountain roads that have lots of corners and braking. More tests should include brake fade resistance.
Old 04-14-08, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
According to this recent review from Autozeitung, the GS450h also suffers from poor stopping power. I have seen this comment on many Toyota and Lexus products before in Europe.

Is it me, or do perhaps European Lexi get different braking systems for some reason? Or has it something to do with the tires?

http://autozeitung.de/online/render.php?render=0122465
Lexus doesn't have different brake systems. I am unsure if PADS might be different though.

The LS has ALWAYS had huge brakes and good brakes, maybe someone can translate?
Old 04-15-08, 03:28 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work as a translator so I can.

The Autozeitung test is a comparison between the new Jaguar XF V8, BMW 550i, Mercedes E500 and the Lexus GS450h. But basically...

The Lexus has the worst brakes in this comparison test. They offer little feedback and have a weak stopping power. I suppose this might have something to do with the onboard hybrid system. The extra weight affects the stopping power of the brakes and perhaps, just perhaps, Lexus used the brakes they employ on the V6 and V8 GS without properly fine-tunning them for the GS450h. Just a thought.

A few European magazines have commented on this "fact" on a number of Toyota and Lexus products, so it doesn't seem like they just "hating" on them.