LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hmmm ... odd tire wear so soon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know what SAI is neither, but looking at the alignment sheet, wow, the front right toe was really off huh. i suppose with that much toe in on the right, your car would have pulled to the left?
Old 04-15-08, 07:36 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know what SAI is neither, but looking at the alignment sheet, wow, the front right toe was really off huh. i suppose with that much toe in on the right, your car would have pulled to the left?
Funny thing is, it tracked straight! I guess maybe both wheels were pointed in toward each other and cancelled out the pull.

Old 04-16-08, 04:14 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
A little trick: If you were to look at the road surface at road level, you would see that the center of the road is higher than the edges. They do this to help drain off water so it does not pool up in the center of the road and create a hazard. This will cause a vehicle to pull to the right. What they do is actually set it up to pull slightly to the left to cancel it out. Its very small, but its there.

As far as SAI, I need to research what exactly this is. I asked one of my co-workers and he wasnt sure either. We have a guy here that specializes in alignments, I personally just do not perform them. I would agree with rominl that your toe was pretty far off as the numbers suggest.

Ill see if I can get back to you sometime throughout the day to let you know what exactly that number is. If may just be something the computer checks for, but in fact isnt adjustable. Either way its damn close to the spec so I wouldnt stress on it too much, the important numbers look pretty good.
Old 04-16-08, 05:30 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
As far as SAI, I need to research what exactly this is. I asked one of my co-workers and he wasnt sure either. We have a guy here that specializes in alignments, I personally just do not perform them. I would agree with rominl that your toe was pretty far off as the numbers suggest.
Goodness, even my sister knows what SAI is J/K

SAI= STEERING AXIS INCLINATION

Reading the following might make sense to you, but it's all Greek to me.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bldef-748a.htm
Old 04-16-08, 05:56 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Haha, I know I know.. Its been about 2 years since I have done an alignment to be honest...

I just pulled out our Lexus Steering, Suspension, and Handling book from a class a long time ago. The way I understand SAI (steering axis inclination as stated) is the distance between the steering axis, and a vertical line drawn through the wheel.

It is used to determine possible damaged components that cannot be diagnosed with camber/caster/toe. It also has a direct affect on your steering wheel coming back to center when making a turn.

I will not lie, Im still a little fuzzy on the technical aspect of it. On my lunch break I am going to take a print out of your specs to my alignment guy and let him take a look. I think the Cross SAI is a little out, but I may be wrong and/or it may not be adjustable. Ill get back.