LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Interesting Gracenote Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 04:55 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Gracenote Issue

So I bought some new CDs the other day and was recording them on the ML HDD. I haven't had the latest software upgrade for my 2007 SWB, so newer CD titles won't automatically come up on the display. No big deal, I can manually enter artist, album title and song title after the disc is copied.

Interestingly, one of the new CDs (Raconteurs) displayed all appropriate artist, album and song information when playing in CD mode. However, as soon as I began recording it, the display only showed the date, time and "TRACK #." Now I have to manually enter this info as well.

If the CD player recognized the album title, etc., why wasn't this info copied over to the HDD? Anyone had a similar experience?
Old 04-16-08, 05:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting, I wonder if it has to do with some kind of mp3 tagging, like when you put in an mp3 CD-R it reads the titles there, but perhaps the Gracenote info is differently encoded/tagged. Just a speculative guess.
Old 04-16-08, 08:01 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bsims_01
So I bought some new CDs the other day and was recording them on the ML HDD. I haven't had the latest software upgrade for my 2007 SWB, so newer CD titles won't automatically come up on the display. No big deal, I can manually enter artist, album title and song title after the disc is copied.

Interestingly, one of the new CDs (Raconteurs) displayed all appropriate artist, album and song information when playing in CD mode. However, as soon as I began recording it, the display only showed the date, time and "TRACK #." Now I have to manually enter this info as well.

If the CD player recognized the album title, etc., why wasn't this info copied over to the HDD? Anyone had a similar experience?
What a dummy I am. I did not realize that the album info could be manually edited. I will have to check this out tomorrow. I have about 7 cd's that only have the date of the recording on them. I hope this is a simple process for dummies like me.
Old 04-16-08, 10:05 PM
Patric
Pole Position

If you push the "Manage Albums" icon you can change out the Titles and other info using the on screen keyboard.

I changed out most of my titles to show the artist name first so I could i.d. my music list easier.

Pat
Old 04-16-08, 11:42 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had that happen to me also - I think once in about 110 CD's that I have on the HDD. I saw the title show up and then it was Date and Time when it was recorded. Doesn't make any sense to me. I actually know the former CEO of Gracenote - I may ask him about it.

Originally Posted by bsims_01

Old 04-17-08, 04:18 PM
ikey78
Driver

Yes, I noticed this as well.

I think it has something to with the CD-Text system that some CD's are encoded with. Only certain CD players can read it. It is a different system to Gracenote but provides similar data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

Personally, I have a Vaistech iPod integration unit which I use instead of the Hard Drive. It was too difficult to keep up with new CD titles as the Lexus version of Gracenote was at least 6 months behind. Entering the tracks manually is time consuming. Also, you can back up your iPod but cannot transfer the HD to another car so you would have to re-record the CD's when you get another LS. Sound quality is similar in my opinion but the audiophiles may think otherwise.