LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To L or not to L? Any SWB owners regret not getting LWB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 11:45 AM
dc935
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To L or not to L? Any SWB owners regret not getting LWB?

Looking to pickup a 460 soon enough for the wife (and one infant due soon), but struggling to decide on LWB/SWB? IMO, the LWBs seem to look a bit sleeker, but there is still a bit of price diff between the two. Depending on what you currently have (460/460L), if you had to do it again, would you still go that route? With so many variables (options, etc), i guess it comes down to is the price diff of the LWB worth it or not IYO?

Im open to buying new 08 or CPOd 07 as well, so with the current deals out there, its really is making the L almost hard to pass up since the cost diff is shrinking (esp on used ones). Appreciate any opinions.
Old 04-21-08, 11:51 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dc935
Looking to pickup a 460 soon enough for the wife (and one infant due soon), but struggling to decide on LWB/SWB? IMO, the LWBs seem to look a bit sleeker, but there is still a bit of price diff between the two. Depending on what you currently have (460/460L), if you had to do it again, would you still go that route? With so many variables (options, etc), i guess it comes down to is the price diff of the LWB worth it or not IYO?

Im open to buying new 08 or CPOd 07 as well, so with the current deals out there, its really is making the L almost hard to pass up since the cost diff is shrinking (esp on used ones). Appreciate any opinions.
I have the standard wheel base and like it just fine (no regrets). I have never had one instance when someone in the back seat was even close to tight on space. Also, I don't know how much longer the LWB is but my garage is already very tight on space and I am constantly squeezing by it. It may sound strange but a couple of inches make a different here.
Old 04-21-08, 11:54 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the SWB, and it's all I would want in terms of rear-seat space and legroom. I'm only about 5'10", and when I have the driver's seat in the position I like, there is more legroom back behind me than any other car I recall ever having.

My 6'2" friend commented immediately on the legroom when we took him and his wife to dinner recently. I told him there is a LWB model, too, and he just said it would be a waste of space as far as he was concerned. He likened my LS to a limo.

The obvious answer for you is to think about how much rear seat traffic you have, and then spend a little time getting in and out of both models to see how much space you need. The LWB is a little classier, but the SWB is more "mainstream", so it just depends on what your needs are and which one floats your boat.

Old 04-21-08, 11:59 AM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ditto!

dc935

My feelings exactly with luxury1 & Mike TX! I had to move some things around in my garage, otherwise my SWB's a** would be hanging out. It's very tight. As for the car, I love mine! No regrets whatsoever. I haven't driven the LWB, so ignorance may be bliss in this case. Correction, I think I drove a LWB at the Taste of Lexus event last year. I didn't really notice a significant difference, but keep in mind this was a controlled track environment and not everyday road driving.

Everyone I've toted around that has been in the back has commented on how roomy the rear seat is. Another 4-5 inches just makes it SUPER roomy. Not necessary for my needs!

KB

Last edited by kbinfl; 04-21-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 12:01 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the price difference is 10K, but for the 10K you get nav standard (thats 2,500), power door closers, and before the wind noise problem, you also got laminate glass. There might be some that im not aware of.

so really, what is the price difference?

while the regular LS is by no means small, i would get the LWB, just because 5 inches of extra legroom is just gorgeous. also, i tend to think cars have small rear doors, so the extra 5 inches make it look better
Old 04-21-08, 12:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to ClubLexus, dc935!!!

Very interesting question, to L or not indeed. Have you sat in both? They drive similarly IMO. The key difference is rear seat legroom, that's where the stretch is. My experience, the LS 460 rear seat is like the LS 430, roomy and comfortable. Reclining seats are offered. The LS 460 L rear seat is even more roomy. Big and tall guys get more room, little kids can play on the floor (when the car is stopped--seatbelts of course!). The question is whether you need the space. It depends on what you will use the car for, I guess.

As for looks, I keep going back and forth, liking one better than the other. Part of the reason why the 460 L looks sleeker is because of the stretch which makes the window line of the rear doors look more linear rather than curved as on the 460. The extended linear appear gives the 460 L a more lengthened and hence 'sleek' look while the 460 has a more curvaceous and 'sculpted' look.

In the end though I think it depends heavily on the color and what angle you are looking at, both cars look great IMO.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 04-21-08, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to CL dc!

this is indeed an interesting topic. i want to see what swb and lwb owners would say. in terms of price difference, technically the 5 extra inches will cost you about 4-5k (price similarly). but in the market it's pretty hard to find that kind of lwb, so yes you usually pay 10k more on lwb to get even more than the 5 inches

i agree space should be the biggest issue one look at. i admit that i got the lwb coz' of the styling. it looks so much better than the swb that i didn't even consider the swb. and of course the lwb has air suspension which served my purposes better (modify).

the swb already has plenty of rear space imho, so comfort is there already. of course the lwb will give you more space, but if you are not going to utilize that much, then it's something to think about. lwb also has more comfortable ride with air suspension, that you will have to test drive to try out
Old 04-21-08, 12:49 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

The only feature I wish my SWB had is the air ride suspension. Even having to do it all over again, I probably would not spend the extra $$$ for the LWB with air ride. The SWB suits my needs perfectly.
Old 04-21-08, 12:51 PM
dc935
Rookie

Thanks for the CL welcome

Wife and I have sat in both, and are not tall folks by any means, so i dont forsee space or rear leg room being a problem. Shes only 5'3" so im sure the seat will be all the way fwd for the rear occupants (re: baby). A friend of mine with a SWB did note that with car seats, etc, it was starting to get cramped. His front seat is probably further back, but still something to consider since I will have a rear-facing infant seat and probably another fwd facing car seat in the future. fwiw, we already have the family truckster (06 Land Cruiser) for more serious hauling duties, so this will be used as her daily driver.

Styling and space-wise the LWB gets the nod, but since we arent driving Shaq around, perhaps a SWB might suffice for our needs. Appreciate the responses thus far!
Old 04-21-08, 12:54 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

I am very happy with my SWB. I had the option of going with the LWB but as some of you already said there is more than enough room in the back. That extra space for me would have been a waste. Some may also say that the LWB looks better; I disagree. It is all relative to your taste. Both models look great!

Good luck on your choice.....
Old 04-21-08, 01:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts

I love my SWB. The ONLY reason to get the LWB, IMHO, is if you are a bigger person and drive with passengers in the back frequently. Or if you just have to have the top of the line. I am 5'8" and drive with the seat close to the steering wheels so the LWB would be overkill, really.
Old 04-21-08, 01:03 PM
Patric
Pole Position

As mentioned above I wish my SWB had the air suspension as my 95 LS 400 had but could not justify the extra expense just for that benefit as I have no need for any more rear seat room.

Pat
Old 04-21-08, 01:09 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all other SWB owners on here. The SWB is plenty enough for me. I'm a small guy and I don't usually haul a lot of people around. So, the L is definitely a waste of money for me.
Old 04-21-08, 02:12 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I test drove a LWB and ended up buying a SWB. No regrets whatsoever. I see no differences in style and didn't think the extra 5 inches was worth $10,000. I didn't think the extra 5 inches plus touring suspension was worth the extra $10,000 + touring dollars.

I like a nice car but I tend to be more frugal/conservative by nature. Paying an extra $15,000 for what I personally feel to be "trivial" amenities - I don't see it as paying just $15,000. I see it as essentially paying $100,000 in the long run 25 years down the road, because that's precisely what $15,000 is worth at traditional market returns with 25 years of growth (no annual input of course).

I am very happy with my SWB, and I'm very happy with the extra $100k I'll have down the road that I can use on things I find to be more appealing versus an extra 5 inches of room and arguably sleeker styling.
Old 04-21-08, 02:33 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dc935
Thanks for the CL welcome

Wife and I have sat in both, and are not tall folks by any means, so i dont forsee space or rear leg room being a problem. Shes only 5'3" so im sure the seat will be all the way fwd for the rear occupants (re: baby). A friend of mine with a SWB did note that with car seats, etc, it was starting to get cramped. His front seat is probably further back, but still something to consider since I will have a rear-facing infant seat and probably another fwd facing car seat in the future. fwiw, we already have the family truckster (06 Land Cruiser) for more serious hauling duties, so this will be used as her daily driver.

Styling and space-wise the LWB gets the nod, but since we arent driving Shaq around, perhaps a SWB might suffice for our needs. Appreciate the responses thus far!

if you are thinking about adding rear headrest DVD monitors for the little one (down the road), the LWB is the way to go... My LS430 is equal to the SWB as far as rear room, and the rear DVD monitor is "little too close" for my taste...

Quick Reply: To L or not to L? Any SWB owners regret not getting LWB?