LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 05:59 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

jwr1942,

If you decide you want to try the fix that I suggested - the improved fix - and you would like to have a couple of the sheet metal patches and the higher resolution version or the picture/instructions you can contact me through the Private Message feature on this site and I will try to help you.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 04-21-09, 11:51 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see new posts popping up about the wind noise concerns. I have to say this to help straighten out how to tell if your car is effected. I would do Jeff's fix anyway if you want a quieter car.

I had the wind noise on my 2007 very bad and now it's 100% fixed. I'm very good in the diagnosing area (diagnosing the symptom-not the fix) but no way was going to fix the problem on my brand new car with a few hundred miles on it.

You get the wind noise at 39mph to about 44mph. It's louder on certain days, the faster you go it goes away. It sounds like your window is rolled down slightly. Also..all the time when cars pass by it sounds like the window is open, you can hear everything from out side like the window is rolled down, with the car stopped or moving at any speed.

The air you hear rushing by before 39 and after 45mph is normal. I hear of people taking the car to 65 to hear the noise, you wont.

Jeff nailed it when he found the old mirror cover or the plastic triangle to be the problem. The 3 holes under the cover go right in the cabin compartment and is exactly where you here the wind noise. The poorly designed foam that seals it comes undone slightly and you have a direct wind and noise entrance in the car.

Once completely sealed with silicone the wind noise totally stops and the car now even becomes quieter from out side road noise when stopped or at speed.

The different size glass is a total myth. The SWB glass is a solid piece of thick glass, it shatters on impact. The LWB glass is an option and it has 2 thin pieces of glass with plastic like saran wrap in between so the glass does not break into pieces rather like the front windshield stays together when broken. I'm going to take a micrometer to the glass but I know they are the same size or their is no way they would fit in the felt door glass run. I believe Toyota USA had to do something to calm customers until they came up with something. We are still waiting...

Last edited by garyr; 04-21-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-26-09, 04:54 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Well....I have the wind noise that when driving (haven't checked the exact speed when it shows up) if you tap the driver side window down (just a hair) there is a decrease in wind noise. I mentioned this at my recent 15k check, and was told the techs knew about this (they checked my VIN # and determined it was one that needed this) and they could fix it but would need to hold my car about a day and a half to do the fixes. I asked the service rep if this involved the triangle by the side view mirror and she wasn't sure. Has any one else been offered some type of fix like this and did it help with the noise I described? Just curious if this is just a waste of time. The service rep did admit to Lexus being aware of the wind issue....are they now pretty much admitting to the issue? Thanks.....
Old 04-26-09, 01:27 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Well....I have the wind noise that when driving (haven't checked the exact speed when it shows up) if you tap the driver side window down (just a hair) there is a decrease in wind noise. I mentioned this at my recent 15k check, and was told the techs knew about this (they checked my VIN # and determined it was one that needed this) and they could fix it but would need to hold my car about a day and a half to do the fixes. I asked the service rep if this involved the triangle by the side view mirror and she wasn't sure. Has any one else been offered some type of fix like this and did it help with the noise I described? Just curious if this is just a waste of time. The service rep did admit to Lexus being aware of the wind issue....are they now pretty much admitting to the issue? Thanks.....
Lexus has definitely admitted that there is a wind noise problem. However, they have not at all attacked the root of the problem....the tringular piece. Do your self a favor and just go ahead and do the jmcraney improved fix. You will be able to sleep better at night. You are wasting your time (as I have found out) if you allow Lexus to try and fix it. They won't until they comply with the jmcraney true fix.

I am going to do the improved jmcraney fix in the very near future even though, I only have a little whisper of a wind noise issue.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 04-27-09 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 09:41 AM
jmcraney

During the past year I’ve read all the information I could find on the “Wind Noise” problem that affects many LS460s and LS600s. I read all of the posts in the original wind noise discussion thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-threads.html - 150,852 views and 866 replies. It is a real horror story. And I have been an active participant in the continued wind noise discussion thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iscussion.html - which is currently (27Apr09) at 41,218 views and 528 replies - more horror stories punctuated by some DIY successes. I have exchanged many emails with owners who I have made contact with through the continued discussion, a sort of behind the scenes effort to help people deal with their wind noise problems and with only a few exceptions all have gotten significant improvements although it took a lot of encouragement to get some to do the steps necessary for success. I have read all the owner reviews on Edmunds.com and Yahoo.com and MSN.com that have been posted for 07, 08 and 09 LS models and I have also closely watched the discussion forums on Edmunds.com and LexusOwnersClub.com.

Reports of this problem began to build in mid-07 and continue today, 22 months later. The initial reports were about the 07 models, obviously, but in the last month there are new reports about 07, 08 and 09 models. Some of these cars that are having this problem come with it when they are new while others develop it months and miles later.

From soon after the first reports until a week ago, there have been multiple rumors that Lexus was coming to the rescue with a sure fix for the wind noise. I don’t think there is a single report of unequivocal success from any of Lexus’ efforts at solving the wind noise problem. The most recent “fix” is not getting very good reviews either. As I have tried to explain already, when you have multiple wind noise sources, just fixing one may seem ineffective although it was a contributor. It is possible that some of the things they have done did offer some slight improvement. Surely they would not be doing some of these things without some knowledge that they would help.

I think that anyone who has read all this stuff would agree with me that if your car has a wind-noise/noise-isolation problem that seems to be coming from the forward corner of the windows in the front doors, it is caused by the triangle trim defect that I identified and informed Lexus about over a year ago. There is no other cause in cars that are “factory fresh” (by factory-fresh, I am referring to cars that have not been worked on by dealerships attempting to repair wind noise problems). THIS IS THE ONLY CAUSE - THERE IS NO OTHER CAUSE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO!!! This problem occurs in 07, 08, and 09 LS460s and LS600s, swb and lwb models. It can range from slight to severe and be on either side (unilateral) or both sides (bilateral). The “tapping-down the window after it tops out to reduce the wind noise” effect is related to the triangle trim defect – the window bulges out slightly when it tops out, opening a bigger gap at the triangle trim and tapping it down relieves that bulge.

Repairing this defect is neither expensive nor risky to your car’s appearance. I have suggested a couple of methods for repair. The second method that I suggested has a high probability of success if you allow the curing time between the first step and second step and you use the sealant that I have recommended. Some of the participants in this discussion have used other sealants with success. I continue to believe that the sealant that I have suggested provides very high odds for a good outcome. The sealant, General Electric product #GE280 - http://www.gespecialtymaterials.com/...eholdglue.html - is available at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, Walmart and lots of other places. Sometimes in the big stores it is hard to find and not always with the sealants, but with the glue and adhesives. The best price is at Ace Hardware if you have one of those.

If you have tried to repair your car as I have suggested and you didn’t get perfect results (outstanding results) I suspect your technique or materials were lacking and you should try again using the second method and the GE280 sealant.

If you had your car repaired at the dealership and the results were not outstanding and you have concluded that the problem is elsewhere because you know they did it like I suggested because you can see the silicone sealant around the edges of the trim, it is likely that you have come to the wrong conclusion. Just because you can see the silicone is no indication that they removed the trim. You can’t effectively repair this problem without removing the trim. There are indications that Lexus has instructed the dealerships to not remove the trim and repair it as I have suggested. I don’t think that is anything sinister, but just shortsighted.

Although I have identified several cars as having been bought-back by Lexus, I assure you that the number of buybacks is much larger than what I have shown. There are probably many owners with severe wind noise problems who have not and never will attempt the buyback approach. Lexus is not buying-back these cars out of the goodness of their heart – this is not an imaginary problem. It is not a customer-relations goodwill effort to placate hypersensitive individuals. Most of these are the result of state lemon laws. A Lemon Law claim, which is typically only available to purchasers of new cars or demo cars that are purchased from new car dealers, is not a slam-dunk process – it usually requires arbitration that is not always decided in favor of the complainant even though they have a valid complaint. I would not suggest to anyone that they go the buyback route. It can turn out sort of like “First prize is a case of Billy Beer and second prize is two cases of Billy Beer” (that’s one from the Jimmy Carter era) – you might get rid of a car with wind noise on only one side and get a replacement with wind noise on both sides or worse wind noise in the replacement car.

If you read all this stuff, as I have, I think a thoughtful person would conclude that Lexus has made a genuine concerted effort to fix this problem, such as this new Crosswind Turbulence TSIB, replacing the front door windows in the 07 swb models, and a lot of other stuff. They have kept cars for weeks, provided loaners, replaced seals, added insulation etc. All of this chaotic effort to fix the wind noise has to be expensive even if it is not effective. Their customers are suffering and their dealers are suffering too.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the triangle-trim-defect, in its extreme form, can cause a wind noise problem so severe that you will not be able to keep your car. And I can also tell you from first hand experience that your car can be fixed and after you get it fixed you will be dazzled by how quiet it is.

I traded in a 1997 LS400 that was perfect to get my 2007 LS460. After multiple trips to the dealer for wind noise fixes they told me that my car “met specifications” and the noise was normal. It was a stressful experience – sort of like someone sticking their hand in your pocket and taking $70,000 and giving you nothing. I got over my bad feelings quickly after I fixed my car. A year ago I made a very concerted effort to share my information with Lexus, without success. It is apparent from current reports that Lexus still does not understand this problem – any logical thinking person would come to the conclusion that they just don’t understand. No company would drag themselves, their dealers and customers through this sort of thing intentionally. I have sort of made it a mission to help others deal with this by offering my suggestions and encouragement while we wait for Lexus to take this over.

YOU MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO GET YOUR CAR FIXED BY LEXUS!

COMEON PEOPLE, FIX YOUR CARS!! IT’S EASY
Old 04-27-09, 10:41 AM
ls460love
Driver

Wow. That was damn close to poetic!
Old 04-27-09, 11:28 AM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff - you are the man!

Has anyone who has done the fix on the 09 models reported back to you? I am planning on doing it eventually, but am curious how the results on the 09s are turning out.
Old 04-28-09, 08:55 PM
rone1
Driver School Candidate

Do the fix. Stop hoping that somone is going to solve your issue. There is no point in waiting for the dealer or Lexus...you are only hurting yourself and not appreciating the full potential of your car. thank you Jeff
Old 05-01-09, 04:32 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Well....that was very convincing.....but I must confess I have very little knowledge on fixing such things. I know I could go through the massive number of posts, but could you please direct me to THE post that gives the best description, with pictures, of how to do this fix. For some reason I see me popping of this triangle piece and having it break or messed up. Anyway, if you would please give me the post I will study it and see if this is something I want to attempt. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-09, 06:59 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Well....that was very convincing.....but I must confess I have very little knowledge on fixing such things. I know I could go through the massive number of posts, but could you please direct me to THE post that gives the best description, with pictures, of how to do this fix. For some reason I see me popping of this triangle piece and having it break or messed up. Anyway, if you would please give me the post I will study it and see if this is something I want to attempt. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that Jeff will give you the link for his revised and improved fix complete with photos and what you need to do the job. He will even email you the high resolution photos to do this fix. Trust me! If I can do this job anybody can. I have already done this twice over the past year or so. The first time I did not apply enough sealant. The second time I was definitely more successful. However, I am going to do it again soon (I was waiting for the weather to get warm so that i don't have to wait 24 hours for drying) with Jeff's new and improved fix with that thin metal sheet.

I'm positive you will see a post from Jeff here soon to help you out.
Old 05-01-09, 07:59 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To forum mods:
Just a suggestion, but once Jeff provides a link to the latest procedure, can we make it a sticky?

Thank you
Old 05-02-09, 09:02 AM
jmcraney

The most current information is at Post #406 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ussion-28.html - in this discussion thread. There is a recommendation about tools at Post #444 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ussion-28.html.

About how to get the trim off: you need to be philosophical about the trim, if it breaks, it breaks. I have helped many people do this and I don’t know of a single person who has broken their trim. I had to help one person get new trim because he put his down on the concrete to scrape off the tape and scratched it. The trim is made of very durable material and seems very unlikely to break. If you break your trim, replacement parts are readily available over the Internet and through Lexus and Toyota dealers, maybe overnight delivery, for about $15 each side. I can help you with the Internet solution if you need it.

Here is a picture of a factory fresh trim piece.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3868332-post312.html

You can see that it has three registration pins, two of which have clips on them. When you take the trim off, the clips and registration pins will likely break off and fall into the door. A couple of people have expressed concerns about this being loose in the door. No one has ever reported a problem with this. Those pieces have very little mass and should never be a problem. If it becomes a problem it can be dealt with.

The best way to get the trim off is with your fingers. Just lift at the upper rear corner, you might have to use a wooden paint stir stick to get it started, and sort of peel it off slowly like you would a piece of tape. If you don’t have enough finger strength to get it off, then use the wooden stir stick to stick under the aft side and sever the white tape. When you start to work on this you are going to think, Oh My, it is going to break any second, I don’t think you could break it with a hammer.

I suggest that you use the exact sealant that I have recommended, if you can find it - the General Electric stock number is GE280.

When you get the metal patch in place you need to let everything dry overnight and then your car is weather tight. If you break the trim you can drive your car and take as long as you need to while you get a replacement trim piece.

If it doesn’t go well, and you have used the sealant that I recommended, you can take it off and do it again many times. Clean up is easy.

As for why some of you are experiencing the improvement when you lower the window: The window bulges out slightly when it tops out and that causes the triangle trim to be lifted up slightly where it is saddled on the window gasket. You can feel that effect if you hold your finger on the aft edge of the trim and get some one to operate the window. When you tap the window down slightly it relieves that bulge. It is all normal and nothing to be concerned but that it why that happens. After you get the fix done that effect will go away. You should do this sealing with the windows up and keep them up until the sealant is fully cured to help reduce the risk that the bow-out effect will cause the sealant to separate.

If anyone needs personal help with this I will be glad to give you my email address or my home phone number. I can email you higher resolution pictures if you desire them. You can contact me initially through the Private Messages feature on this site.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-02-09 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 08:33 PM
deedward
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Here is another wind noise buyback on eBay.com.

This one is a 2007 LS460 VIN JTHBL46F675013656.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...t_32109wt_1401

If you don't want to chase the link, here is part of what it said:

Quote:
This is a Lexus Buyback Title vehicle that was re-purchased by Lexus because of wind noise. Lexus replaced the door insulation, and the left & right drip moldings to repair the problem, and it is completely covered by the remainder of the factory warranty which is bumper to bumper until 12/28/2010 or 50K miles, whichever occurs first! Additionally, the powertrain warranty is good until 12/28/2012 or 70K miles, whichever occurs first! Therefore, you have TOTAL peace of mind about buying this vehicle and saving thousands of dollars!
End Quote

The latest wind noise buyback tally, including this one, looks like this:

#1 JTHBL46F775045743 2007 LS460 OH
#2 JTHGL46F875003331 2007 LS460L FL
#3 JTHGL46F175008967 2007 LS460L OH
#4 JTHGL46F975002186 2007 LS460L PA
#5 JTHBL46F875008216 2007 LS460 AZ?
#6 JTHGL46F475017758 2007 LS460L FL
#7 JTHGL46F175009066 2007 LS460L FL
#8 JTHGL46F575004856 2007 LS460L FL
#9 JTHGL46F875018220 2007 LS460L FL
#10 JTHGL46F075016218 2007 LS460L LA?
#11 JTHBL46F585065636 2008 LS460 CA
#12 JTHBL46F875048814 2007 LS460 FL
#13 JTHBL46F075008162 2007 LS460 FL
#14 JTHBL46F275022984 2007 LS460 FL
#15 JTHGL46F575012777 2007 LS460L AR?
#16 JTHBL46F575021960 2007 LS460 FL
#17 JTHBL46F475038619 2007 LS460 FL
#18 JTHGL46F675014215 2007 LS460L FL
#19 JTHBL46F675013656 2007 LS460 ?

This is the car that I bought. Beautiful car for sure! The wind noise is 99% gone. The only time I hear wind noise is when I get a gust from the side. I'm going to do the triangle fix and I'm sure that will take care of the rest of it. It does have the lamisafe glass in it too.

Before I bought the car I called the closest dealer to me with the VIN and was told the warranty is in full force. I've had the car in 2 different times for other warranty issues and the repairs were covered by the warranty as expected.

I'm a little confused about title branding though. This dealer assured me that the title would NOT be branded in any way. He is in Arkansas and he sent me a newly issued Arkansas title in the dealer's name, and it made no mention that it was lemon law, buyback or anything else. I know some states require their dealers to title their inventory in their name. That's not the case in Illinois where I live, the dealer simply assigns the title to the new owner without having a new title issued in the dealer's name to pass on to the buyer. I haven't received the Illinois title yet. Originally, the car was titled in New York. I'm wondering if the New York title he got was branded and by titling the car in Arkansas he got around that. Perhaps as long as the car never goes back to NY it won't be branded???

Anyway, I love the car and feel I got a fair deal on it. I won't really know for sure until trade-in time when I see what effect the carfax report has on trade-in value...

Dan

Last edited by deedward; 05-02-09 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 01:18 PM
jmcraney

Default Maybe This Is The News We Have Been Waiting For

I have been working with one of the denizens of this discussion thread, through a "back channel," to help him effect a wind noise repair of his car. He told me today that he had "slipped a note through the fence" so to speak at the Lexus Technical Center in Irvine CA and they are interested as to how we have been fixing our cars. He believes that they are going to take a closer look and perhaps try it on his car. I have already sent him a couple of the sheet metal patches. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!
Old 05-06-09, 02:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good news JMc. While this problem has yet to surface on my 600 since I purchased it last year, I am still keeping my ear to the ground in case it does. Thank you for your valued input.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)