LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 06:03 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

I have said this repeatedly, by all means get the Lamisafe glass if they are giving it away. There is no disadvantage. But you should not expect a noticeable wind noise reduction from the installation of the thicker glass because the wind noise is most likely caused by the triangle trim defect.
Old 10-03-09, 06:57 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The "free" Lamisafe is an upgrade of sorts. It does have some noise reduction properties, but that is mainly road traffic noises, not wind related noise. However, the reduction is very subtle, and is very hard, if not impossible to detect. Lamisafe glass also protects the occupants in accidents or break-ins as it does not shatter like tempered glass - that is probably its greatest quality. It is marginally thicker which in my case anyway, eliminated the window tap down phenomena mentioned earlier. But, the seals were reworked, so that would have contributed as well.

The triangle fix is the only sure bet in all of this, as it has proven itself effective in all but a few cases, and these were likely not done correctly...

Last edited by Johnny; 10-03-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 01:44 PM
chelsea196
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Jeff stated he was so kind to come help me try to fix my car as I was scared to make an attempt myself. I am grateful to Jeff for his time, efforts and the car is quieter overall. However I took a road trip to Austin last week and the wind noise was extremely irritating at high speeds. Once I hit 60 and up, the wind noise is still very evident. I am still grateful to Jeff as he put in a lot of time and effort in helping me and it did improve the quietness of the car at lesser speeds. Unfortunately I am headed back to Sewell tomorrow.
Old 10-06-09, 07:44 AM
chelsea196
Driver School Candidate

Well the trip to the dealer wasnt as hopeful as I was expecting. THey basically told me that they had done everything that they could at this point. THey had me call a 1 800 number for Lexus to open a case. I called and spoke to some woman who looked up my information and said that everything had been done that they were able to do at this time. I told her that that wasnt good enough and that I either wanted the wind noise problem corrected or I no longer planned to keep the car and this would be the end of my relationship with Lexus after 5 cars. My car is currently sitting at Sewell in dallas but I dont have very high hopes. Im hoping bperhaps its some rubber seal or something very simple but it sounds as if they have changed out everything so perhaps a new set of eyes will find the problem as Im starting to look at other cars from other manufacturers. The problem is better than it was originally as it used to start around 30mph and now its around 60 that it starts but being that I do a lot of driving between cities this will drive me crazy because its pretty bad at higher speeds.
Old 10-08-09, 01:47 PM
chelsea196
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my car today. Nothing had been done to it. Actually I dont think they even tried. Sewell has been very kind so far but the service guy keeps telling me there is nothing more that they can do until they get a new TSB. Seems like they wont even look at the rubber seals, etc. I did call Lexus corporate and they basically have said the same thing so far. I decided to pick up my car as hail was predicted for a storm tonight and i called to inquire if the car would be kept outside. When I was told it was, I decided to go get it because they clearly arent doing anything. For those who have found solutions, what dealership were you dealing with? At this point Im willing to drive somewhere to find someone who will do something. Thanks, Chelsea196
Old 10-08-09, 05:45 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's too bad. They didn't do much when I took mine in as well
Old 10-09-09, 09:07 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chelsea196
I picked up my car today. Nothing had been done to it. Actually I dont think they even tried. Sewell has been very kind so far but the service guy keeps telling me there is nothing more that they can do until they get a new TSB. Seems like they wont even look at the rubber seals, etc. I did call Lexus corporate and they basically have said the same thing so far. I decided to pick up my car as hail was predicted for a storm tonight and i called to inquire if the car would be kept outside. When I was told it was, I decided to go get it because they clearly arent doing anything. For those who have found solutions, what dealership were you dealing with? At this point Im willing to drive somewhere to find someone who will do something. Thanks, Chelsea196
Have you tried the jmcraney fix yet? It has solved the problem for a lot of people. You really have nothing to lose. You CAN do it yourself.

If the jmcraney fix does not totally eliminate the wind noise, then I would be willing to bet that it has something to do with window rubber seals. Insist that your dealer replace them, if this has not already been done. It is a TSIB.
Old 10-09-09, 04:38 PM
elsmooth
Driver

I plan on trying the jmcraney fix next.
Old 10-10-09, 05:18 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Me too ed. Interstingly, after doing the side mirrors with the turn signals, when you replace the door panel back, I swear the noise sounds different suggesting the window seals may have something to do with it also. I wasnt aware of a window seal TSB though. First time I put it back on I noticed a gap in the seal so I pulled it off and reseated the door panel and it fixed one of the air sounds, but the original sound I had over my left ear sure seems different since the modification. I have Jims kit and plan to do that when I wont be driving for a day. I read Jims post about chelsea car and was interested in the tap test. Mine do not seem hollow or loose, so we will see.

Bruce
Old 10-10-09, 05:18 AM
smileman83
Rookie

excuse me for calling you jim, Jeff!-lol
Old 10-10-09, 08:12 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a shame they make customers wait on TSB's !!Sometimes it takes a month.
Old 10-10-09, 08:13 AM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by chelsea196
Well the trip to the dealer wasnt as hopeful as I was expecting. THey basically told me that they had done everything that they could at this point. THey had me call a 1 800 number for Lexus to open a case. I called and spoke to some woman who looked up my information and said that everything had been done that they were able to do at this time. I told her that that wasnt good enough and that I either wanted the wind noise problem corrected or I no longer planned to keep the car and this would be the end of my relationship with Lexus after 5 cars. My car is currently sitting at Sewell in dallas but I dont have very high hopes. Im hoping bperhaps its some rubber seal or something very simple but it sounds as if they have changed out everything so perhaps a new set of eyes will find the problem as Im starting to look at other cars from other manufacturers. The problem is better than it was originally as it used to start around 30mph and now its around 60 that it starts but being that I do a lot of driving between cities this will drive me crazy because its pretty bad at higher speeds.
I wonder how many long time customers this wind noise fiasco will cost Lexus. My lease on the 2007 LS is up in March and for the first time in 15 years I am not considering any Lexus as a replacement. The experience on how they dealt with the issue left a bitter taste. Also, many friends that ask about the LS I tell them to stay away.
Old 10-11-09, 07:56 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=for the first time in 15 years I am not considering any Lexus as a replacement.QUOTE]

Might wanna consider the 2010 LS SZ
Old 10-12-09, 04:30 PM
elsmooth
Driver

smileman83, ping jmcraney. He was most helpful and reached out with tons of information.
Old 10-13-09, 12:07 PM
smileman83
Rookie

I have spoken with Jeff before Ed, and he is a great help. I had his kit when I had my '07 but never installed and am going to on the '08.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)