LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 07:03 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

one of the things that Jeff's fix seems to address is the long term issue.
The metal tabs that he has to cover the holes will take care of this issue for good. The sealant, while good for the short term wont last as long as the metal tab.

Also Jeff mentioned a vibration effect in that area, The metal seems to completely get rid of that, I believe that is the difference that I am noticing when I drive at highway speeds now, since I notice it to be quieter and I didnt have the wind noise issue before. I just put in his fix so I didnt have to worry about it later.
Old 01-22-10, 10:08 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Dear Synergy:
I went by the dealer to see if my car was ready yet. The service rep said it would be this afternoon as they were still working on it. So after I left his office I just walked back to the service area. I wear a coat and tie so they thought I was a salesman. I found my car and told the tech who I was and tell me everything that he did to the car for the wind noise fix. He went over the 3 or 4 lexus tech memos. I asked if they had fixed the wind noise around the front area that we are talking about. He said yes they had read this and they had sealed it with sealant. I asked if this was a tech memo. He said they had read this online and now use this in their window noise fix. So I am looking over the car after I got it home and try to pull back the black triangle. It had be sealed with sealant. They had not cut a piece of steel to fit exactly like JNMcraney did but they had filled the holes and sealed all around the holes then replaced the black triangle piece. I will let you know if I have to completely seal around the edges too.
Wow - congrats, that is probably a rare situation. I think I am going to try the JMcraney fix myself, which by the way looks very thorough and a big break for us members experiencing the problem. Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 01-24-10, 06:43 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

Hello Synergy:

Well before everyone gets excited, I rolled my window down yesterday and now have some wind noise again. I guess Lexus did not want us to roll down our windows. Now is the time for the jmcraney fix.

jaram
Old 01-24-10, 07:46 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Hello Synergy:

Well before everyone gets excited, I rolled my window down yesterday and now have some wind noise again. I guess Lexus did not want us to roll down our windows. Now is the time for the jmcraney fix.

jaram
jarm,

Check the Private Messages feature on this site for a message.
Old 01-24-10, 08:13 AM
OPSBD
Rookie

Not to rub it in but my 2010 460L is the quietest car I've ever owned. The reason I bring this up is to thank who ever came up with this fix. I suspect Lexus addressed the wind issue because of this thread.

Once again I thank you!

Last edited by OPSBD; 01-25-10 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 01:16 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be the gentleman right above you

Thanks Jeff

CMasten

Last edited by cmasten; 01-25-10 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:58 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

whoa.. can I buy this "jeff's fix"?

My car has been having the wind noise since 2006...
went to the dealer 3+ times for it.. did everything except that ugly black thing around the windshield.. not trust lexus to drill holes in my car.. lol
Old 02-05-10, 08:49 AM
pibob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Everyone:
I just received my car from the dealer for the 30K checkup and they did the window noise problem fix. They did all the updates as well as the JNCraney fix as well. (I asked, they said they had read his fix online and now implement it in the update) I can say there is NO WIND NOISE at all. Maybe Lexus got it together by now after all the complaints, with JNCraney's help. I nominated JNCraney Lexus technician of the year.
jarm
Jarm... what dealer did you take you car to?

Bob
Old 02-06-10, 02:58 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

pibob:
I went to Westside Lexus. They do a great job on service issues. This is my 3rd lexi and have always gone to Westside Lexus even though Northside is 3 minutes from my home. I have had poor service from that dealership.But I have found that they have only fixed a portion of the wind noise. I removed the black plastic plate and observed that they put one inch of black silicone at the bottom of the plate only. I will remove the plate and use jmcraney's tech fix to address the wind noise problem.

jarm
Old 02-09-10, 02:10 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind noise

I would like to nominate jmcraney for mayor no make that for congress no lets go with senator nah lets give him his just reward jmcraney for president . I just did the jmcraney fix on my 09 ls460 awd swb works perfect the car now is what a lexus is suppose to be quiet. After the dealer did there magic the wind noise did not disappear there trick failed. If jmc can fix a enginering marvel like the lexus wind problem i am sure he can fix any problems the country has!!------maybe king jmcraney has a better ring to it.
Old 02-09-10, 02:38 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Toyota should hire him AT A HUGE SALARY to fix the acceleration and Prius problems.
Old 02-09-10, 03:07 PM
Maurice
Driver

I can't help but think that the wind noise issue, Lexus not fixing it and pretending it is not a problem is the result of the same management cavalier and arrogant attitude that has resulted in the multiple, albeit more serious, problems Toyota is facing with acceleration, brakes and other issues.

They believed they could do no wrong. They were so wrong.
Old 02-09-10, 03:44 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Let's do the victory strut for davedan:

Originally Posted by davedan
I just did the jmcraney fix on my 09 ls460 awd swb works perfect the car now is what a lexus is suppose to be quiet. After the dealer did there magic the wind noise did not disappear there trick failed.
Old 02-09-10, 03:51 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice
I can't help but think that the wind noise issue, Lexus not fixing it and pretending it is not a problem is the result of the same management cavalier and arrogant attitude that has resulted in the multiple, albeit more serious, problems Toyota is facing with acceleration, brakes and other issues.

They believed they could do no wrong. They were so wrong.
I actually never thought it the wind noise thing was that sinister but, you are right, the benefit of the doubt can no longer be afforded to Toyota.
Old 02-09-10, 05:18 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Hail - Hail - Hail to the Chief: Chief JMCraney that is. Well I finally got around today to fixing my wind noise problem. I was told that the dealer did this but after removing the black plastic triangle in question, I found something different. The dealer placed what looked like black roofing cement goo at the bottom the the triangle with two other small strips around the edges. Of course this did little to fix the problem. But I finally got around to using the jmcraney tech fix. It has been cold in Houston so I waited for a warmer day in order for the glue to dry. Now after the fix there NO WIND NOISE AT ALL. This is what a Lexus is supposed to sound like. QUIET I want to thank jmcraney for all his help and kindness in this venture. I will be sending him my first born son to repay him for his kindness as soon as I have a child. JM make sure he goes to Harvard Medical school too. (Don't worry JM, my wife is to old for that.)

ALL HAIL TO CHIEF JMCRANEY - THE LEXI GRAND MASTER

jarm

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)