LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 05:30 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Let's do the victory strut for jarm:

Originally Posted by jarm
Now after the fix there NO WIND NOISE AT ALL. This is what a Lexus is supposed to sound like. QUIET
Old 02-09-10, 07:05 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2010 ls 460 and have absolutly no wind noise.
Old 02-09-10, 07:40 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by ikeb
i have a 2010 ls 460 and have absolutly no wind noise.
Many of the 07-09s didn't have a wind noise problem. Some that didn't come with a wind noise problem developed a problem as they aged. I have received a couple of PMs from people telling me that they have driven 2010 LS460s and there was wind noise. The design of the triangle trim seems to be the same on the 2010 models as on the 07-09 models and if that trim is loose there will be a problem. If you think that Lexus has developed an understanding of the wind noise problem and incorporated it into the 2010s then why are they not able to fix all the older cars with the problem. You don't have to look very far back in this discussion to see that they don't understand this problem. There are current reports, only days old, of people coming from Lexus dealers with unresolved wind noise problems and then going on to do their own repair. The difference in Lexus and us is that they continue to think there is a problem with the owners and we understand that there is a problem with the cars that can be repaired. If you have a way to let them know that they have a problem, please do so, in a kind, considerate, respectful way.
Old 02-10-10, 05:00 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

I hate to kick Toyota while they are down and getting pounded 24-7 in the news media (some of which is being driven by the labor unions & competition), but I firmly believe that Toyota mangement over the last decade has gotten a little arrogant between the ears. They stopped listening to their customers. This thread among others is a good example.
Old 02-10-10, 06:25 PM
Maurice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
I hate to kick Toyota while they are down and getting pounded 24-7 in the news media (some of which is being driven by the labor unions & competition), but I firmly believe that Toyota mangement over the last decade has gotten a little arrogant between the ears. They stopped listening to their customers. This thread among others is a good example.
My feelings exactly. They truly were the bastion of quality in cars, and Lexus their flagship. I do not wish them what they are going through, but it is the arrogance what got them into this. I suspect that just like they (still) ignore that the wind noise is an issue on the LS they ignored initial reports on breaks and accelerators. I also believe that in spite of this, they manufacture exceptional vehicles and they will overcome this hiccup - possibly with severe loss of market share and a downgraded credit rating. Unfortunately it will be the consumers and shareholders who are punished - it should be the management, particularly some of the arrogant bunch I dealt with in the US Western region.
Old 02-10-10, 06:55 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Explorer bounced back after the tire fiasco. My guess is that now that Toyota's public denial gig is up, they'll throw ALOT of money at the problem...they have the deep pockets to do so. At advertising "we're focused on quality again" and at pricing/lease deals/financing deals to maintain market share....and will succeed.
Old 02-10-10, 11:58 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this thread is about the wind noise so forgive me! I think those(I use to be that way until this incident with Toyotas accelarating) who are to loyal to car companies live in Cartoon Land. Im not aiming this at anyone. Im not on some subliminal type trip here ladies/gents. Im just speaking on what I see and hear at times. Its fine to like a car that you drive. You can like its reliabilty,exterior,interior and other features. That said, sometimes people take on the LOVE almost you'd have for a friend with car companies(you buy the car, not the company). Hey, I like Toyota products(includes Lexus of course) but, what they have done recently is totally egregious! Why do I say this? They knew well before these issues that there were problems.

All I can say is I hope none of us lost a loved one to what they continued to ignore until the pressure was put on them by the media to react. There are several ways to lose your life. We have no idea how we will leave this earth. That said, once they had 1-4 incidents that were/weren't death related meaning 1 out of the 1st 4 known incidents of accelaration happened they should have quickly contacted the dealerships/owners of there cars when they were reported by the local dealers etc.

Adding to that, I find Toyota and Lexus no different than the very car companies(Mercedes/Jaguar/BMW/Audi) we attack for lack of reliabilty. From this point forward its business only for me. I was hurt for those people who lost family the way they did and cant imagine the horror of a car out of control if I were driving and thinking of it gets me emotional. No compasion from Toyota or not enough either only damage control. And this is the car company we pledge loyalty to? No more. They make a good car(Toyota/Lexus) granted. I hope they recover because of those innocent employees who could suffer from job loss due to the media pssibly hurting business more in a already slumping economy but, those in positions of power(who make so much money that caring about those who died isnt in there schedules) who are out of touch with the common man who may have saved for years for there cars dont get, they dont get it.

I can afford what I need in this down economy and Im blessed/fortunate came from the projects and havent forgot what having less was like and whats missing in the accelaration disaster is the stories of the people who died and who they were, these were people fellow members like us(imagine hearing it was one of the members who posted here that made you laugh or helped you with a problem with your LS460/430/400 that died). They werent statistics. They were mothers,fathers,sons and friends etc.! Toyota has had happen to it what should cool there ego's which for years has went unchallenged.

I see it with Lexus at times when they act arrogant as well and experienced it when I purchased my mom(actually my aunt, I was raised by her due to being an abused kid by her sister) here 1st new car ever(she was 50 when i got it for her) in 2000(Toyota Camry) in cash. They ignored me until they found out who I was(was in the music biz at the time) and showed the cash to pay for the car($20,000,she didnt want a flashy car that when it had problems she couldnt handle it herself) ! Let this be a wake up call for LS460 owners and LS430/400 owners and the entire line(ES,GS,IS,GX,LX,SC,HS,RX) that we buy the cars not the company because what they did in slow reacting to there Toyota customers out of control cars they most certainly will do to us.

P.S: F.Y.I. for those who may read my statements wrong I have no grudge nor am I angry at all. Im just hurt for those who lost loved ones and feel Toyota did more than hurt there business image with me and others. They became less of an enduring car company that I had thought at one time was special! Please dont attack me, Im only showing compasion for those who lost family because, what if it were your wife/husband/child/mom/dad/friend! Just bad biz by Toyota(heartless)

Sorry, so of Topic guys/gals

Love,

Your fellow member and friend in this thing called LIFE Usermel!!!

Last edited by usermel; 02-11-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 08:52 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Please remember the bigger picture here:

GM and Chrysler are currently not doing well, so it's Toyota and now Honda bashing time.

The world's banks stand to lose much if American Car Dealers don't start selling more cars soon.

If the Japanese yet bashed, American sheep with flock to the American Auto Makers and start buying American made cars thinking they're better than the "faulty" Japanese models.

Wait till we start hearing about the American Recalls!

...and to stay on topic, I bet Jeff never met a Lexus LS with a wind noise problem he couldn't fix.
Old 02-11-10, 03:59 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can say that despite of this bad set of circumstances with the wind noise and other issues Toyota and Lexus are having lately they have managed to otherwise make some of the most reliable autos on earth. I wouldnt go to an American make because of the recent issues with Toyota. Also, saw something about Honda having issues with some of there cars as well. Back to Lexus/Toyota. The wind noise issue is strange at best because typically after 1-2 years of a problem with any brand of cars its repaired or fixed with the next years model.

I agree alot of the bashing is applauded by the other automakers and its to be expected because only something like this could have penetrated the teflon strength that Lexus/Toyota has enjoyed for years. Lexus/Toyota due to having an overall quality product will overcome this recenet trouble and tragedy of lost lives. I just hope next time they handle it better. I wont stop buying there products because of what happened though! Two wrongs dont make a right and none of us are perfect.

Its not the bad decisions we make or bad things we do that ultimately define us. Its how we react afterward that does. Do we care? Do we make ammends? Do we fix it? Lexus/Toyota can repair this recent trouble. I hope they do! Good points JLAWR and I agree with you sir!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-11-10 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:33 PM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by jlawr
GM and Chrysler are currently not doing well, so it's Toyota and now Honda bashing time.
I don't think there is a conspiracy - This is Toyota's own doing.

The Wind noise design flaw, the software design flaw on the brakes,
the other design flaws having to do with the carpet, accelerator pedal, etc.

Just too many design flaws - management was not paying attention and they stopped listening to customers.
Old 02-11-10, 10:52 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Yes, to some degree, there is a conspiracy here.

I'm not saying that Toyota has no legitimate issues to fix right now. But, you can bet your bottom dollar that there is in fact an applauding and opportunistic segment fanning the flames right now. To believe otherwise is naive.

Last edited by Stoks; 02-12-10 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Updated tone.
Old 02-11-10, 11:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Please stay on topic

This is a request for all to stay on the topic of the LS 460 Wind Noise Fix. That means discussion as it directly relates to the LS 460. For discussion of the Toyota recalls and other corporate theories, there is this Car Chat thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...merged-30.html

It's possible that corporate attitudes may have something to do with the way the wind noise issue was handled, but beyond that subject, discussion belongs elsewhere; this thread is focused on the wind noise fix as it pertains to the LS 460. In addition, please direct the discussion on this forum to the issues and not at members personally. Thank you for helping us stay on topic.

Originally Posted by jlawr
...and to stay on topic, I bet Jeff never met a Lexus LS with a wind noise problem he couldn't fix.
Indeed, thanks to jmcraney for his diligent efforts!!!
Old 05-03-10, 04:56 PM
jmcraney

Default Do The 2010 LSs Have The Wind Noise Problem? Of Course They Do!!

Last week the owner of a 2010 LS460L contacted me seeking my help with the wind noise problem that he was experiencing with his car. We live in the same general area so we met for me to look at his car. I could see that the trim pieces on both sides were detached along the bottom and although they were not as hollow sounding as many that I have looked at/tapped on, they did not sound solid when I did the tap test. One of the things that this owner wrote in his initial contact message was "I am not very good at fixing things well." But since we live about 50 miles apart he decided that he would try to do the repair himself to avoid the inconvenience of multiple coordination trips.

I had an email from him today and this is what he told me.

QUOTE FROM EMAIL
Jeff,

Thank you so much!! I did the "fix" on Saturday evening, and finally drove it today. I drove north to Decatur and back, then drove west to Mineral Wells & back; there was absolute silence. No noise anywhere except the beautiful sound of the ML radio. Man, I got a little taste of earthy heaven. I left the trim off as you suggested and will put it back on later today. Jeff, doing the fix was so easy, and your instructions were "right" on. Again, Thank You! Wish that Lexus would listen and consider your input. I guess they are selfish.

END QUOTE

One thing is noteworthy here. This owner had not sought help from Lexus for his wind noise problem, so nothing had been done to this car as far as attempting to fix the problem such as adding foam.

The trim on the 2010s seems to be the exact same part that is used on the previous LS460s and I think there is little doubt that this will continue to be a problem. Some of the cars will come with the problem while others will develop it after they have been in service.
Old 05-04-10, 11:40 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Coming back to this one...

I have a 09' swb, and the driverside was a problem since drove-off. After 3 months of enjoy driving a new car and I took it back and the dealership took a week to order parts and replaced the weather trim but the noise came back just after 1 week of using it.

On 2nd time dropping off at the dealership, they took only 2 days and complete fixed the problem. Now the driverside is complete silent and I feel it improved so much that the noise on passenger side now sounds a bit louder than the driver side.

I am happy... and just let you know there is hope!!
I am in NorCal and I got it fixed by Steven's Creek Lexus, and the service advier is Al Posado, FYI.

Good luck to you all,
Old 05-04-10, 01:44 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

What did the dealer do the second time?

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)