LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 07:31 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Was there a recall on this ? I am looking over the history on Lexus for a car I am looking to buy and I saw this.... See attached.
Although Lexus changed some mirrors in their attempts to resolve the "Wind Noise" problems that plagued many of the early LS460 and LS600s, mostly 2007s thru 2010s, the wind noise turned out to have no relation to the mirrors. They, Lexus, were desperate for solutions and were trying everything in 2007 - that is well documented in this forum.

Turns out the wind noise problems were caused by a trim defect on the front doors.

As far as I know, Lexus will not help you with wind noise issues.

Some owners have found relief with a DIY repair, check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Old 09-01-18, 03:42 PM
Tiana1998
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did not work

Tried the fix with the 13 pieces 4 my 08 ls and used the silicone around the holes drove it down the highway and it seems even louder now
Old 09-01-18, 05:18 PM
Tiana1998
Driver School Candidate

Default Did not work

I tried the fix and it's worse now what did I do wrong
Old 11-20-18, 08:30 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Does anyone have the part or fix for the window noise coming from the rear top of the window. I called Lexus in my area and they said they have never had any wind noise complaints so he didn't know the exact part I would need. At 30 mph it sounds like a tropical storm, at 60 mph it's like a cat 5 hurricane. Also I don't have the triangle piece issue like I see in all these threads.

2007 LS460L
Old 02-07-19, 06:06 AM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 2013 LS 460 (~ 55,000 miles) and I am getting very loud wind noise coming from the windshield on the driver side (any speed > 35 mph). I assume your fix is for the 2007-2012 LS 460 and supposedly for noise coming from the driver side window and not the windshield. Please confirm. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Although Lexus changed some mirrors in their attempts to resolve the "Wind Noise" problems that plagued many of the early LS460 and LS600s, mostly 2007s thru 2010s, the wind noise turned out to have no relation to the mirrors. They, Lexus, were desperate for solutions and were trying everything in 2007 - that is well documented in this forum.

Turns out the wind noise problems were caused by a trim defect on the front doors.

As far as I know, Lexus will not help you with wind noise issues.

Some owners have found relief with a DIY repair, check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Old 02-07-19, 07:53 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by JosephS
I just bought a 2013 LS 460 (~ 55,000 miles) and I am getting very loud wind noise coming from the windshield on the driver side (any speed > 35 mph). I assume your fix is for the 2007-2012 LS 460 and supposedly for noise coming from the driver side window and not the windshield. Please confirm. Thanks.
JosephS,

The "wind noise" problem that plagued many, but not all, of the LS460s was related to a trim defect on the doors. The design is much the same on all years so the potential for that problem is there. I have no information on how Lexus was able to get that under control but I have not seen any reports for '14 and higher models.

That problem has been discussed to exhaustion in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

As for noise related to the windshield: I watch this and other forums closely and I don't recall any reports of noise because of windshield issues being discussed. It should be easy to isolate any noise sources that are related to the windshield.

If you are sure that your problem is not related to the doors, then you might give some consideration to the sun-roof.
Old 02-07-19, 08:28 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by JosephS
Thank you for the reply. One thing to note is that previous owner has replaced the windshield with a non Lexus OEM, the brand is XYG (no Lexus Logo on the windshield). I am not sure if non Lexus OEM windshield can be the cause of the wind noise, or maybe it was a bad installation. Regarding the sunroof I don't think it is the sources because when I close or open the sunroof cabin liner the noise level stays the same, I used to have some noise from the sunroof in my previous 2010 LS 460 and when I close the sunroof cabin liner the noise would go away.

How can I isolate noise related to the windshield? Should I tape the entire perimeter of the windshield? I am going to also tape the driver window triangle sides just to eliminate as potential root cause. Thanks.
I think your idea to use tape to improve the isolation is a good idea.

I would think that duct tape or masking tape would be poor choices because of adhesive residue. A better choice might be the ubiquitous 2" clear packaging tape - it's not expensive and is readily available. You shouldn't leave any tape on very long. Be sure to tape all areas simultaneously as noise from multiple sources give confusing indications.

Last edited by jmcraney; 02-07-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:35 AM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I will use the 2" clear packaging tape.

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think you idea to use tape to improve the isolation is a good idea.

I would think that duct tape or masking tape would be poor choices because of adhesive residue. A better choice might be the ubiquitous 2" clear packaging tape - it's not expensive and is readily available. You shouldn't leave any tape on very long. Be sure to tape all areas simultaneously as noise from multiple sources give confusing indications.
Old 03-26-19, 03:49 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FunFact
The LS460 has two roof mouldings that go over the windshield, which are panted. Under these mouldings are rubber gaskets that are designed to make flush contact with the windshield. If these are not present or are not pressed against the windshield, that is a source of wind noise. Also, the lack of underside plugs can cause noises that seem to come from the windshield area.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 03-27-19, 07:47 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if the rain visors will fix this noise? I'm real close on spending some $$$$ for some jdm ones.
Old 03-28-19, 06:21 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

While the jmcraney triangle fix, done according to his easy to follow and perform instructions, will most likely provide the most “wind noise” reduction, don’t forget the “bump down” of the widow from the fully up position. That slight little lowering of the window worked well for me.
Old 03-29-19, 08:16 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by FunFact
Just wanted to bump this up, not sure how many of you actually looked at the TSB that Lexus performed for the wind noise, but it is EXTENSIVE. The triangle is the least modified thing, where they add additional EPT foam to the edges and form-in-place gasket around the clips. The whole upper frame of the door is removed, where they then add EPT foam along the bottom edge window molding, EPT up the entire length of the trailing vertical edge of the window opening, EPT below that to keep more wind out, EPT inside the chrome areas behind where the rear triangle is, along with gluing on a rubber stabilizer for the secondary window seal at the base of the window (which adds additional pressure to the seal when it is in the up position). EPT is added to the front and rear of the window runs, as well as under the body-color moldings that run along the edges of the windshield. Finally, more EPT is put behind the area of the triangle mounting area.

Most of this can be done DIY, with the worst part being that to fully complete it you will have to drill out three rivets and later rivet them back into place. The second worst part is removing the glass, as we know this is always a potential to break a very expensive piece.
However, anyone with even a modest mechanical background could most certainly complete parts of this TSB without doing either of those: you can lower the window all the way to glue on the rubber stabilizer for that secondary lower seal (this is currently a late-night presumption, I will verify the validity of this statement later), you can remove the gloss black vertical window trim and install the EPT foam back here, you could install the additional EPT in the window run areas denoted on page 11580, then you can ignore the triangle modifications and just do the Jmcraney fix. Finally, buy four clips for each side of the windshield molding and install the foam at the base as it shows.

The rubber stabilizer modification (it is effectively a rubber bump stop) could also explain part of the reason of the "fix" of bumping down the window a tad, as you would be relieving some pressure from that secondary seal that may be allowing air to pass inside as it gets pushed too far inward.

Shows everything practically step-by-step:
https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...ighway_speeds/

75793-50010 is the part number for the foam kit. $8 and you don't have to try to hunt down all the different types of EPT.
I have followed theLS460 "wind noise" issue closely, for over 10 years, in this forum and several other Internet forums. I don't believe there were any unequivocal reports of wind noise reduction form any TSIB from Lexus. There was a TSIB that replaced the windows in the doors of the 2007s, and there was one that added deflectors to the sides of the windshield, and there was the one you cited. In my case, the glass change and added foam made it worse. Lexus eventually took the position that all the cars met specifications as to wind noise and refused any additional help. All of this, while they, Lexus, were buying-back many of the cars with wind noise, as a result of Lemon Law claims.

The LS460s/LS600s, when all is well, are as quiet or quieter than any mass produced luxury car sold anywhere.
Old 03-29-19, 10:50 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2007 LS460 still has unacceptable wind noise, despite implementing all the common fixes shared on this forum.

I just turn up the sound system.

Old 11-01-21, 10:05 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to flog a dead-ish horse, but can links or part numbers be provided for the updated trim pieces that have the extra fin on the triangle?

I did this whole repair years ago on my other '07, but I bought another '07 and of course it needs some silent treatment 😄

I found the part numbers for the "regular" flat triangles, but looking for the updated version.

Thx in advance!
Old 11-01-21, 02:01 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Sorry to flog a dead-ish horse, but can links or part numbers be provided for the updated trim pieces that have the extra fin on the triangle?

I did this whole repair years ago on my other '07, but I bought another '07 and of course it needs some silent treatment 😄

I found the part numbers for the "regular" flat triangles, but looking for the updated version.

Thx in advance!
There is no advantage to using the finned pieces as to wind noise. Either piece provides the same results.

Trim pieces

67495-50020 - R plain

67496-50020 - L plain

67495-50030 - R finned

67496-50030 - L finned
The following users liked this post:
ill57 (11-06-21)

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)