LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Absolutely can't decide on color. Silver vs. Black.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 12:29 PM
jmbaker3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely can't decide on color. Silver vs. Black.

Mercury Metallic on Black . OR Obsidian on Black .

I have owned 4 black vehicles and know first hand how great they look clean. Two suburbans and two corvettes... but they were 100% mine... meaning my wife never washed or detailed them... I know how to treat a black vehicle... she doesn't... so I don't want to become a prisoner of the possession. On the other hand, we have owned a champagne color Mercedes since new, 1991... a 350 SD... and aside from the normal aging process the car looks great and dirt is often difficult to see. Now I know the Mercury Metallic would , I think, be the same way to showing pollen, and light dust... and my wife can wipe it down without having to have me police it...but damn... is that black hot to look at... especially with chrome shoes, which I would do, regardless of color.

You folks with the Mercury Metallic... you still happy with your choice?

I also heard that Lexus after a number of years will change the color of silver they use... any surprises known for 2009?
Old 05-04-08, 12:38 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked at Smoky Granite? It is close to black, but I've gotten many compliments on that color.
Old 05-04-08, 12:50 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a Mercury Metallic. It is definitely easier to look at when not clean. It is also less conspicuous - something we like, though that is not true of many 460/600 owners. No regrets. I see many more Black 460's. Not sure whether I am just missing the silver ones.
Old 05-04-08, 12:51 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

gO FOR THE sILVER ,,,
Old 05-04-08, 01:08 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Smokey Granite, as already mentioned here is about a 50/50 mix of black and silver. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-04-08, 01:47 PM
jmbaker3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daryll40
Smokey Granite, as already mentioned here is about a 50/50 mix of black and silver. I highly recommend it.
Not interested in that color... its gonna be silver or black...one day.
Old 05-04-08, 07:46 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmbaker3
Mercury Metallic on Black . OR Obsidian on Black .

I have owned 4 black vehicles and know first hand how great they look clean. Two suburbans and two corvettes... but they were 100% mine... meaning my wife never washed or detailed them... I know how to treat a black vehicle... she doesn't... so I don't want to become a prisoner of the possession. On the other hand, we have owned a champagne color Mercedes since new, 1991... a 350 SD... and aside from the normal aging process the car looks great and dirt is often difficult to see. Now I know the Mercury Metallic would , I think, be the same way to showing pollen, and light dust... and my wife can wipe it down without having to have me police it...but damn... is that black hot to look at... especially with chrome shoes, which I would do, regardless of color.

You folks with the Mercury Metallic... you still happy with your choice?

I also heard that Lexus after a number of years will change the color of silver they use... any surprises known for 2009?
I have Mercury Metallic. It all comes down to preference but love the gleaming silver combo. I have ebony for interior.
Old 05-04-08, 09:18 PM
Patric
Pole Position

I have MM on black and no regrets. Easier to keep looking presentable than Black although they look very sharp when clean.

I had a 95 LS in Alpine Silver that was very close to MM so I wouldn't worry too much about any future changes in Silver paint.

Pat
Old 05-04-08, 09:28 PM
george1688
Driver

I would go for silver. Black is quite boring IMO. Why not go for colors like Smoky Granite or Truffle Mica?
Old 05-04-08, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to be very honest, if you can't somehow upkeep the car in good condition, then silver is probably a better option. but if you can, can't beat the effect of a clean black car
Old 05-05-08, 10:32 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very happy with my Metallic LS460. The only reason the GX is black is because I wanted KDSS and didn't want to wait for months and months for white.
Old 05-05-08, 11:22 AM
bsims_01
Rookie

I have Obsidian with black interior. Love the color, but PITA to keep clean. Fortunately, I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to keeping things clean, so the car is rarely dirty.

The day I bought my car, I also looked at the smokey granite and silver. Loved both of those colors and would happily drive either one today. The obsidian that I bought was the only one that had all the options I wanted. No regrets whatsoever.
Old 05-05-08, 05:44 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the silver w/ black interior and got rid of it for black w/ black interior. I like the black much better. If I were to get silver, I would get a light interior instead of black interior...I didn't care for the drastic contrast between the 2 colors w/ my ex-silver model. Felt like someone shut off the lights when I got inside looking out.
Old 05-05-08, 07:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Get the Noble Spinel Mica. That way when people ask you what color car you bought, they won't have a clue what it looks like!
Old 05-05-08, 09:15 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

Opaline pearl. look nice.

Quick Reply: Absolutely can't decide on color. Silver vs. Black.