LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 01:18 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
On their website you can watch a video that explains it. I am a long time Zaino user but on my LS-460 I haven't use Zaino at all. This matrix coating rocks because of its durability.

That are a few steps to do it right, that's why I used a detail shop here in WA to do the job. This shop is the only authorized Matrix seller here.

This is aviation grade stuff. http://hyperpolish.com/

What I like is the shine and the water beading effect. When I'm driving on the freeway on a rainy day the hood stays dry!
Thanks for the link. That being said, it's not clear to me, if I want to do this myself, what exactly do I buy? They offer a few different products. Which is right for my Smoky Granite LS?
Old 05-28-08, 02:03 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Thanks for the link. That being said, it's not clear to me, if I want to do this myself, what exactly do I buy? They offer a few different products. Which is right for my Smoky Granite LS?
I called them and spoke to John (owner or inventor of the product and very helpful). He suggested I get Pro's Choice which will be enough for 3 cars. It's a complete package for $179 (i think). I called him to see if he had any reps in my area or could suggest a good detailer, as I don't want to do it my self. Unfortunately, he could not, so if anybody knows a good shop in Baltimore, MD area, please let me know.
Old 05-28-08, 03:55 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't apply it myself because I don't have time for that. Besides, the guys at the detail shop I used for sure do a much better job than I could ever do.

This product is so good, I wash my car much less than before. It stays cleaner longer. Notice how shiny the paint job is - this is after about 8 months matrix has been applied on the car.

Old 05-28-08, 04:45 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

It does look good. I do wonder what's involved in applying the stuff. And if it will last and not hurt the car long term. And if it's really worth almost $200. I remember POLYGLYCOAT that the dealers applied for $18 but charged $500. It didn't seem to hurt the cars, but didn't really do much either.
Old 05-28-08, 04:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

...id love to find a dealer in my area. their website sadly doesnt tell much.
Old 05-28-08, 07:16 PM
zxc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
On their website you can watch a video that explains it. I am a long time Zaino user but on my LS-460 I haven't use Zaino at all. This matrix coating rocks because of its durability.

That are a few steps to do it right, that's why I used a detail shop here in WA to do the job. This shop is the only authorized Matrix seller here.

This is aviation grade stuff. http://hyperpolish.com/

What I like is the shine and the water beading effect. When I'm driving on the freeway on a rainy day the hood stays dry!
Can you use it over clear bra?
Old 05-28-08, 07:26 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've noticed your sig line before and haven't said anything, but here is the content from dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

smok·y Audio Help /ˈsmoʊki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[smoh-kee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, smok·i·er, smok·i·est.

1. emitting smoke, esp. in large amounts.
2. hazy; darkened or begrimed with smoke.
3. having the character or appearance of smoke: smoky colors.
4. pertaining to or suggestive of smoke: a smoky haze.
5. of a dull or brownish gray; cloudy.

[Origin: 1275–1325; ME; see smoke, -y1]

—Related forms
smok·i·ly, adverb
smok·i·ness, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
smoky

Just for what it's worth , they're happy to spell it "smoky", too, as is Britannica!

Old 05-28-08, 07:33 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I get the message. But to be honest, spelling it "SMOKY" would make me think that the reader would assume I couldn't spell!
Old 05-29-08, 07:49 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the message. But to be honest, spelling it "SMOKY" would make me think that the reader would assume I couldn't spell!
LOL. Your literacy isn't in question.

You actually sent me to the dictionary the first time I noticed your sig line comment ... I'm one of the schmucks who spell it "smoky" myself, so I didn't get your point.

Maybe we need to consult with Dan Quayle on this one ...

Old 05-29-08, 10:09 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

It does look good. I do wonder what's involved in applying the stuff. And if it will last and not hurt the car long term. And if it's really worth almost $200. I remember POLYGLYCOAT that the dealers applied for $18 but charged $500. It didn't seem to hurt the cars, but didn't really do much either.
The picture I posted above was with Matrix being 8 months old. As of now it has been a year and a half and the car looks exactly the same. For me just the fact that I don't have to use Zaino anymore every 3 months is worth more than $200, not to mention that I don't have to visit the carwash as often.

As of applying over clear bra I don't know as I had the Matrix coating applied before I had the Venture Shield clear bra.
Old 05-29-08, 01:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks very nice and sharp, Luxofreak!
Old 06-09-08, 07:38 AM
Red Riot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have what I'll call a car duster? Looks kind of like a mop on a horizontal handle. Just got my Lexus but used one for years on my Jag. Easy and worked great.

ps, boy do I NOT miss the Jag.
Old 06-11-08, 04:05 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked the Matrix Microcoatings site and I am interested. Emailed them whether there was a detailer in the SF Bay area that they could recommend applying it. They said there isn't. Can a regular person apply the Pro's Choice, that is one without a lot of experience or expertise or special equipment? Thanks.
Old 06-12-08, 10:25 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

^^ I believe so. Let me check with my detailer and I'll get back to you.
Old 06-13-08, 07:31 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I am interested in doing this myself as well. Please do let us know if it's a DIY type thing.

Quick Reply: Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again