LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 10:25 AM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the $179 Kit yesterday and I'm going to do my MDX tonight then my LS460 Sun. The instructions are somewhat complex but thorough. I'll let you know after my MDX application.
Old 06-13-08, 01:32 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'd like to know how it comes out. BTW, I went to the Matrix Microcoatings site and the Pro's Choice is up to $250. Of course that is only slightly more than 2 tankfuls of gas and it now does four cars instead of three. Since I only have 2 cars and the coatings are supposedly for a lifetime ...
Old 06-17-08, 03:31 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I talked to my detailer that applied the Matrix Coating on my car, and he told me that the the first idea they had was to create a product for the final consumer, but it got a little more complicated and they ended up making product for the industry and not for the final consumer.

According to my detailer, the Matrix Coating website is somewhat outdated. The do-it-yourself kit they offer will not achieve the same results I got on my car. Reason being it's a several steps process that involves washing, clay-bar, waxing, applying the step 1, washing again, applying step 2, washing again, waxing and finally applying the last step with the use of special heat lamps.

He recommended all my fellow Lexus owners interested in this product to find a local detailer that understands this product or at least is willing to learn how to apply it.

I can attest myself, the product is unbelievable. My car is show quality like no matter how dirty it gets. After a simple carwash it gets back to show quality again. Better than new.
Old 06-17-08, 03:41 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

I am disappointed to hear that. I can't seem to see any authorized installers/dealers near Pittsburgh. Perhaps I am missing something?
Old 06-17-08, 06:18 PM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

Well I applied this product on the MDX Sunday. Boy did I underestimate how hard it is. It took me 6 hours. There are like 10 steps. However, after all was said and done the car looks incredible much better than any wax or polish I have ever had. What I did was I had the car professionally polished to remove any minor scratches or defects. This saved me from having to clay bar and polish myself. I am only going to use the kit on one more car so if anyone wants to share the rest of the kit to use on 2 cars they can PM me. The kit is made for 4 cars and after one car I will defiantly have enough for 3 more.

The product application though difficult is worth the effort in my view. Also, doing this your self is much better than having someone do it if they have never done it before. I read the instructions like ten times and followed every procedure. You only wash the car once in the beginning then use Step one bottle then rinse completely then use prep 2 to remove any water spots then you use the base coat (let dry 20mins) which smells really bad (use gloves) then without removing the basecoat you use the finishing coat then let dry 20 mins then use remove all layers using the buffing cream one section at a time. After all this water cannot touch your car for at least 2-3 days.

Last edited by Jamminx; 06-18-08 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-17-08, 07:06 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ Nice!!!

You will be glad over the long run. It's amazing how the car stays clean longer. Like I said before, mine has the Matrix Coating for a year and a half now and my car looks better than new.
Old 06-18-08, 04:13 PM
frededvm
Driver School Candidate

Default Obsidian to smoky granite

My LS460L Touring is Obsidian black. When it gets dirty it becomes Smoky Granite. The best of both worlds.
Old 06-22-08, 10:08 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just placed an order for the pro choice for $229

My car paint at the front has fainted after lots of high way driving and sand storms.

I have to decide weather I want to retouch the paint before applying the ceramic matrix coating. I guess It would be costly if I take that route.