LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 07:29 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again

I don't know how you drivers of dark cars do it. My 7 month old SMOKY GRANITE (yes, Lexus spells SMOKY without the "e"....some language translation mistake or just cutsey??) LS is the most beautiful car I've ever owned. But man is it hard to keep that way. I've almost always driven white cars. This is the first dark color car. I could not resist the color on the showroom floor. But I'll never ever do it again. If I had to do it over I'd get silver. Not because I don't love it...I do! But I am just too OCD about car appearance. How do you guys do it?
Old 05-27-08, 08:18 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My prior ES350 was Smoky Granite too. I really loved that color but it was really hard to keep dust free. Now my ls460 is silver.
Old 05-27-08, 08:28 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're not used to darker colored cars. BUT...... My car is Verdigris Mica (a dark green) and the first thing I did after getting the car was to have my detail shop of choice to apply ceramic matrix coating. It has been a year and a half now and 90% of the rain water beads off and dust doesn't stay on the car for too long. I wash my car once in a while at a high quality carwash here in town and have had absolutely no issues. My car in fact looks better than new.
Old 05-27-08, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, the smoky granite is already one of the easiest color to maintain imho coz' of the mica (flake) in the paint. it's really hard to show swirls and scratches. any pictures of your car showing the problems? maybe you are using wrong method to wash your car and didn't upkeep it?
Old 05-28-08, 04:25 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Right now it's clean. But after a day or two...then some MINOR rain...the water spots on the hood are ANNOYING. Even after claybar, 3M Glaze then Malm's Pure Carnauba Wax. I'll post photos next time it's dirty (which, for sure, won't be long).
Old 05-28-08, 04:26 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
You're not used to darker colored cars. BUT...... My car is Verdigris Mica (a dark green) and the first thing I did after getting the car was to have my detail shop of choice to apply ceramic matrix coating. It has been a year and a half now and 90% of the rain water beads off and dust doesn't stay on the car for too long. I wash my car once in a while at a high quality carwash here in town and have had absolutely no issues. My car in fact looks better than new.

What exactly is CERAMIC MATRIX COATING?
Old 05-28-08, 06:47 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had pretty good luck with my Smoky Granite. I've had silver and "gold" cars in the past that did do better with dirt, but I really haven't noticed my car being all that dirty. I do keep my car in a parking garage during the day and the evening, so maybe that helps a good bit. Also, I'm a bit realistic in that I realize a car is going to get dirty.

On a side note, I have cabin in the Gatlinburg TN area, and the address is Great Smoky Way....so it isn't just Lexus that spells "Smoky" that way. But I do agree, "Smokey" is the more common spelling.
Old 05-28-08, 07:18 AM
dc935
Rookie

I just bit the bullet and bought my wife a smoky granite 460L yesterday. We almost went with silver for the always clean look, but it was hard to stop staring at the darker smoky granite. I too had sworn off darker cars, but couldnt resist. Its def a bit more effort to keep clean, but if you keep it detailed with a good wax, then its not too bad. Ive had great results with Zaino on our other cars and its very easy in terms of upkeep.
Old 05-28-08, 07:24 AM
Patric
Pole Position

I think some of the southern states with more sunny weather would help keep a dark color looking better longer than up north where we get more rain.

Also, parts of the country with hard water (high mineral content) are going to be more problematic with spotting than soft water areas.

I had a black Corvette I had to wash and dry in sections in the L.A. area (Fullerton) to keep the spots off but up here in WA. it was not an issue.

Pat
Old 05-28-08, 07:39 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dc935
I just bit the bullet and bought my wife a smoky granite 460L yesterday. We almost went with silver for the always clean look, but it was hard to stop staring at the darker smoky granite. I too had sworn off darker cars, but couldnt resist. Its def a bit more effort to keep clean, but if you keep it detailed with a good wax, then its not too bad. Ive had great results with Zaino on our other cars and its very easy in terms of upkeep.
That's how I ended up with Smoky Granite. It was (and is still) just the best looking color I've ever seen. I still love it, but just commenting that it's even WORSE when it DOESN'T look good.
Old 05-28-08, 08:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's why I only buy light colored cars.

(Imagine how my motorcycle can look at the end of the day... )
Old 05-28-08, 08:27 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's why I only buy light colored cars.

(Imagine how my motorcycle can look at the end of the day... )
Philip,
Didn't you have a black ls460?
Old 05-28-08, 09:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
Philip,
Didn't you have a black ls460?
His LS460L is Smoky Granite
Old 05-28-08, 10:22 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
What exactly is CERAMIC MATRIX COATING?
On their website you can watch a video that explains it. I am a long time Zaino user but on my LS-460 I haven't use Zaino at all. This matrix coating rocks because of its durability.

That are a few steps to do it right, that's why I used a detail shop here in WA to do the job. This shop is the only authorized Matrix seller here.

This is aviation grade stuff. http://hyperpolish.com/

What I like is the shine and the water beading effect. When I'm driving on the freeway on a rainy day the hood stays dry!
Old 05-28-08, 11:27 AM
bsims_01
Rookie

Well, I'm a fan of dark vehicles as well. Mine is obsidian black and I'm OCD about keeping it clean. The car is usually clean, as I drive my truck when the weather is bad. However, dust, pollen, tree sap and bird bombs are an ongoing problem. Once clean, I use a California car duster most days and use quick detailers a couple times a week.

Quick Reply: Smoky Granite Is the Best But Never Again