LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear air conditioner filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 09:35 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
what about cooled rear seats? where does that aircon come from, the front filter? i dont think you need 4 zone for cooled rear seats
Actually, cooled seats are not fed directly by the a/c system. It's just ambient air that blown thru the seats. If it were 40 degree air, you'd literally freeze your butt off.
Old 02-21-17, 05:24 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Actually, cooled seats are not fed directly by the a/c system. It's just ambient air that blown thru the seats. If it were 40 degree air, you'd literally freeze your butt off.
Jud - The fronts seats are fed A/C air. But I would say, not directly. There is an A/C vent that ducts A/C air right from that vent under the front seats, and then the fan inside the seats draws that air up into the seat ... because there's a gap from the vent to the bottom of the seat (that's why I say it's not direct). Now ... in the summer time, when it is hot and that air is blowing cold and the fan is on high, you can feel the cold air effect of that really well. And that air is what, maybe 40°F, I can't exactly remember what the target is for A/C air. But something like that. Course it may pick up some other ambient from up under that seat as well.

As for the rear seats, I don't know actually if there is A/C air ducted there or not. But I suspect that there is (not likely direct there either). Because, if the A/C is not on in the front, and the "cooling" is turned on in the front seat, it is hardly noticeable to my buttometer. So, I don't believe 40°F air is going to over-chill most buttometers after working its way through the seat. But without some A/C air being available to the rear seats for cooling, the cooling is going to be worthless. Of course ... I don't believe I've ever sat back there and turn on the butt cooler.
Old 02-21-17, 06:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Webster1
I have the L model and was told at the dealership last week that I needed both filters replaced at $155 each. I bought them online and was just going to replace them myself.

Do all L models have the rear filter or is it just the executive package?

Thank you.
$155 each!!! That's why we call them "Stealerships!!!"

You can buy the main Cabin Air Filter (with carbon) for around $6-7 each on Amazon, and it takes all of 2 minutes to replace (the only trick is to be sure to set your A/C to Recirculate Mode before swapping out).

The filter in the rear is definitely different, though. Larger and more robust. I'm looking for the Part Number now, so if anyone has it handy, please chime in. I looked at my rear filter and it appeared pretty pristine, but I don't use the Rear Air very often.

I changed the two Engine Air Filters and the main Cabin Air Filter last night using filters from Amazon. Total cost was $39, and it took around 15 minutes total (spent some extra time vacuuming out the engine air filter boxes)...
The following users liked this post:
baam (03-25-20)
Old 02-21-17, 07:09 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

riknchar - I'm doing the same thing. The actual part number is on a reply of mine on page 1. It is 87139-50080. I can't find a cross filter on Amazon, or anywhere else.

But, I have found, is what I think is the dimensions of that filter. Unfortunately I failed to remove the rear filter last night to confirm the size. If you have your rear filter handy and can confirm the dimensions, I have found a carbon activated WIX filter part number. It is called out for a 2016 LS 600h, and a bunch of other vehicles. Even looking through cross-reference records, there is no callout for the rear filters for LS vehicles (where applicable). They're all glove box filters. But, this part number I have in mind will fit the rear, if the size info I found on line is correct.

I should have pulled it out last night and measured but I got lazy. I don't want to put this WIX number on here if it turns out to be wrong. In future searches, people may get ahold of the wrong number. But it is a ~$16 Wix carbon activated filter from O'Reilly's. O'Reilly's is the only chain type handy place (for me) for this filter part number.

Can you confirm if the filter size for the rear is? If you don't have it handy, I can check during lunch time (maybe) or by tonight. I didn't drive the LS today.

Height: 1.14" (29 mm)
Width: 7.59" (193 mm)
Length: 8.45" (215 mm)

Jason
Old 02-21-17, 07:12 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Jason

Let us know if you find the right filter other than at the dealership. The make and model number if you would please. I know it is a different size than the front.

Dennis
Dennis, I discovered the Part Number for the Lexus OEM Rear Cabin Air Filter: 87139-50050. List price is $51, and My Lexus Parts has it for $41.31. The Club Lexus (CL5) 10% discount brings the price down to $37. Sort of pricy for a filter, but I couldn't find a good Amazon aftermarket replacement... Here's the link to Lexus Parts: https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...xlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz
Old 02-21-17, 07:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

19 dollars... if you're interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Cabin-A...lU7tvT&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (02-21-17)
Old 02-21-17, 07:21 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

riknchar - Something strange is going on. Maybe there was some changes to the 2010 - 2012 vehicles, or maybe it is different for the 460's vs 600's. You're info is correct. But my info is different for my vehicle. And mine is 50080, not 50050. Interesting.

See the same info as yours, but for my vehicle: https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...er-and-ac-scat

Old 02-21-17, 09:10 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Jason,
Hmmmm.... Must have been a slight change between my 2008 LS600hL and the later model LS460Ls. I know Lexus tinkered around a bit with the equipment between the back seat and the trunk after 2008 to increase trunk space. Perhaps they modified the size of the rear cabin air filter as part of the update?

Good catch! Rick
Old 02-21-17, 10:42 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Rick - I'm going to *try* to pull mine out tonight and measure it. But I've had a death in the family and will have to deal with that, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-21-17, 11:02 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Jud - The fronts seats are fed A/C air. But I would say, not directly. There is an A/C vent that ducts A/C air right from that vent under the front seats, and then the fan inside the seats draws that air up into the seat ... because there's a gap from the vent to the bottom of the seat (that's why I say it's not direct). Now ... in the summer time, when it is hot and that air is blowing cold and the fan is on high, you can feel the cold air effect of that really well. And that air is what, maybe 40°F, I can't exactly remember what the target is for A/C air. But something like that. Course it may pick up some other ambient from up under that seat as well.

As for the rear seats, I don't know actually if there is A/C air ducted there or not. But I suspect that there is (not likely direct there either). Because, if the A/C is not on in the front, and the "cooling" is turned on in the front seat, it is hardly noticeable to my buttometer. So, I don't believe 40°F air is going to over-chill most buttometers after working its way through the seat. But without some A/C air being available to the rear seats for cooling, the cooling is going to be worthless. Of course ... I don't believe I've ever sat back there and turn on the butt cooler.
I think we're saying the same thing, not directly fed. Anyone who thinks having 40 degree air coming thru their seat is a good thing, put your hand on an a/c vent when it's blowing at that temp and see how it feels in just a few seconds.
Old 02-21-17, 12:50 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jud149
I think we're saying the same thing, not directly fed. Anyone who thinks having 40 degree air coming thru their seat is a good thing, put your hand on an a/c vent when it's blowing at that temp and see how it feels in just a few seconds.
But ... my hiney might like 40° air!
Old 02-21-17, 01:02 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

Jason

My rear AC filter is:

Length 10 1/4 inch
Width 5 1/4 inch
Thickness 2 3/8 inch

Dennis
Old 02-21-17, 01:06 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

roadfrog

Mine does not look like the one in your link?

Dennis
Old 02-21-17, 01:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

roadfrog

Mine does not look like the one in your link?

Dennis
Don't use the photo as a reference. Most of these listings use a "generic" photo.
Old 02-21-17, 01:50 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Jason

My rear AC filter is:

Length 10 1/4 inch
Width 5 1/4 inch
Thickness 2 3/8 inch

Dennis
Wow, that isn't at all what I cross referenced. Glad I didn't publish that number. That size is long, narrow and fat, compared to what I found. Gonna go through the cross reference again with your measurements. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rear air conditioner filter