LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Strange Car Alarm Occurrence...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 12:04 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Strange Car Alarm Occurrence...

Two days ago, I pulled in to a local coffee shop; my wife opted to remain in the car. She has the other keyfob in her possession at all times, and keeps it in her purse. Her purse was on the floor and no pressure was applied to it; regardless, she couldn't arm the system from within anyway - or could she? The car was on a slight sideways incline. While I was waiting in the line-up, my wife tells me, the mirrors folded in, the doors locked and the security system armed itself. She thought it was rather peculiar, but she ignored it.

I returned and found the doors locked and without thinking about it, signaled her to unlock the car from the inside, never thinking for a moment about how this situation should never have occurred to begin with (theoretically anyway). Naturally, when she opened the door, the alarm went off (boy, that horn is loud). I reached into my pocket and pressed the unlock button on my keyfob, but I can only imagine what precious thoughts were going through the minds of the patrons staring out the coffee shop's windows...

Hopefully, this is a one-time brain fart for the car's security system. Anyone experience this?

Last edited by Johnny; 06-11-08 at 02:43 PM. Reason: My retentiveness
Old 06-11-08, 12:16 PM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone experience this?
No

But inside the garage, I can't lock the car(I don't need to anyway). I was told the system interferes with the internet wireless network in my house
Old 06-11-08, 01:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ you were told wrong. lol im sure they run on different frequencies.
Old 06-11-08, 01:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could this simply be a delayed autolock function? Some cars (not sure about your LS 460) are set that if the unlock button was pressed on the key, and no doors opened, after 30-60 secs. the car locks itself again. It's a security feature for when you accidentally press unlock and don't realize it.

As for the alarm going off, it's quite logical that once the car has locked itself, the alarm system is ARMED and so any attempt to unlock from the inside will cause it to go off.

OTOH, could it be that your wife inadvertently touched the lock button on the armrest? However, that scenario seems less likely given that the mirrors folded which is more consistent with the key lock IIRC.

It does remind me of a time I was in an LS 430 at a parking lot by myself without the keys (the owner, a relative of mine going in to Costco buy something), and I inadvertently pressed the lock button twice, the alarm went off, boy that was loud!!!

All the shoppers around were staring and I manually tried to open the door to get out, to get the owner, but the door handle and switches forcefully would lock up, almost pinching my fingers. I was trapped and the car absolutely refused to let me out. It was very embarrassing and all I could do was hunker down and cover my ears until the keys finally did arrive.
Old 06-11-08, 04:02 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what happened to me once is that i locked the car and i was inside. i unlocked the door manually and the alarm went on. I was just testing the alarm.