LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

7.1 Nav Upgrade Good News - For me anyway...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 05:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile 7.1 Nav Upgrade Good News - For me anyway...

I just returned my 40K Kms service (25K miles). On my last visit, I requested that Lexus should upgrade my '07 Nav to the most current version. As the dealer has to "sell" the software (one use only) key, they had to give Lexus Corp a compelling reason to provide this free upgrade to me, otherwise I would be faced with a $500+ bill for this (not). The reasons I gave were the porous and "out-of-date" POI database, the "out-of-date" road maps, and of course the silly and annoying "I agree" welcome screen. My dealer thought that this might be enough to make it fly and sent it off for a response. That was three months ago, and I thought that by now, I was either being ignored, or that they were still trying to figure out how to deny me the request.

So, to my great pleasure, I was informed today that Lexus had approved the complimentary upgrade. My dealer has not done one of these up to now, and told me that they have to download some software from Lexus to perform this task. They didn't want to rush into this as the software key that Lexus supplies can only be used one time. So, they will probably call be in the next few days once the processing software is downloaded from Lexus.

I took a look at a new '08 Nav and the 7.1 upgrade is a major step-up from mine, in functionality, the annoyances eliminated, the updated maps and POIs. I was even beginning to think that my $249 Magellan 4250 was more superior, if not more up-to-date.

I hope this thread motivates our frustrated members who own '07 models to approach Lexus for the Nav system relief I think we all deserved or should have had in the first place. It is a great system, but now it will be even better - if not the best.

I noticed the addition of Hawaii in the 7.1 upgrade. Maybe I'll drive there someday...

Last edited by Johnny; 06-27-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 06:28 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm glad to hear they're taking care of you. I had mine done several months ago. I couldn't stand the I agree screen every time I got in the car.

I don't think it took my dealer very long to install the upgrade. Mine was their first one.

Craig
Old 06-27-08, 06:41 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

That's right Craig, my dealer told me the upgrade takes 15 minutes, so no biggie...

Bet you're satisfied; at least I was certainly impressed when I tried the '08 Navi in the showroom.
Old 06-27-08, 07:30 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

how much is it if i paid for the upgrade?
i hope it's in the $150 range.
Old 06-27-08, 07:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

A previous thread suggested it costs $500 in the US.

However, you may want to use my approach, and try to get a complimentary one...

Keep in mind I am in Canada, so they may have a different attitude, and my dealer is a high volume dealer who were allocated two IS-Fs out of two hundred in Canada. That may or may not have a bearing on it...
Old 06-27-08, 09:21 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ditto for me....they said they woulda charged me ~500 for the upgrade....call Lexus corp. if your dealer can't/isn't willing to go the distance for you....
Old 06-27-08, 10:30 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid little less than $300 a long time ago, but hey nothing better than free
Old 06-28-08, 06:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Glad that JP/Dale looked after you well

Originally Posted by Burnaby
However, you may want to use my approach, and try to get a complimentary one...

Keep in mind I am in Canada, so they may have a different attitude, and my dealer is a high volume dealer who were allocated two IS-Fs out of two hundred in Canada. That may or may not have a bearing on it...
Did they tell you they are high volume ?
I think the real high volume dealer here is OR Richmond, & of course everybody else is high volume compared to OR Port Moody
Old 06-28-08, 01:08 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I think when JP is rated, all his automotive sales interests are considered. He also performs well with his Toyota dealerships among others. And when you work in his advertising interests, well the doors open fast.

I never could fathom how they could build OR in Port Moody, but when one considers they are owned by a naturalized Indonesian billionaire, then it begins to make sense. After all, when he arrived in Canada, he even offered to purchase Toyota's Canadian operations, which they respectfully declined. That would take some mighty deep pockets...
Old 06-28-08, 03:41 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Burnaby, yes, I'm more than satisfied with the upgrade. I never understood the stupid I agree screen logic in the first place. This is my 5th Lexus from the same dealer, so it didn't take much to get them to upgrade my nav.

Craig
Old 06-28-08, 03:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

ive always had hawaii on my nav map and i have a gen 3
Old 06-29-08, 03:58 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
how much is it if i paid for the upgrade?
i hope it's in the $150 range.
Finally gave in and had it updated last Wed. I paid $265 including tax.
Old 08-04-08, 04:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Just to bring closure to this thread, my LS460 was updated on the day before I took delivery of my new car. The dealer had a lot of problems uploading this on the first attempt, and gave up after it looked like the errors weren't going to go away, and the level of my frustration became all-too apparent to them. They spent 5 hours working closely with Lexus Corp's assistance, alas to no avail. In the end Corp. turned to Japan for help and received a new upload module from them. Evidently, this Nav update procedure had not been tried in Canada, and the hardware to accomplish do it was found to be incompatible with the LS's USB link. When they finally completed it, I was able to try it out overnight and was very impressed with the results, however it was a moot point as the next day, I took delivery of my new 2008 LS...
Old 08-04-08, 05:11 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your new h have the updated version?
Old 08-04-08, 05:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Yes, all 2008 LS460s & LS600s come with the 7.1 Nav, the same version my previous 2007 was upgraded to. The differences are updated maps, POI database & the addition of Hawaii maps - and of course the amended "I Agree" startup screen which is now just a 5 second flash warning. Ironically, the update also included a more up-to-date version of the CD Database (CDDB or Gracenote), than the 2008 I bought. However, I think Gracenote can be upgraded separately anyway.

Quick Reply: 7.1 Nav Upgrade Good News - For me anyway...