LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driving the LS without AIR Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 09:04 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Driving the LS without AIR Filters

Hey Guys , I drove my LS without air filters gotta say the sound comming from the engine is amazing, it can be heard out loud as well. Does this procedure affect the injectors ? If so in what way ?

Thinking of installing a sound exhaust system for the LS any advices ?
Old 07-25-08, 09:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a air filter is to filter dirt and particles from going into ur intake mani. by removing this filter, your letting all this stuff going into ur engine and potentially damaging it. especially u being in Dubai there has to be sand that gets kicked up.
Old 07-25-08, 09:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Dont risk it on your LS460!!!

Put it back on ASAP. Your engine will NOT like the dirt. The cylinder walls may end up being heavily scratched.
Old 07-26-08, 12:50 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
Hey Guys , I drove my LS without air filters gotta say the sound comming from the engine is amazing, it can be heard out loud as well. Does this procedure affect the injectors ? If so in what way ?

Thinking of installing a sound exhaust system for the LS any advices ?

Yea i woudlnt risk running the car without the airfilter, can only be harmful there is however one thing u can do, ive done it on my is300, u can remove the intake snorkel to open up the sound of ur car. Its the piece that connects ur intake to the opening in ur grill. This piece is very restrictive (for sound not performance) and removing it makes the car sound very aggressive.

Also i have the Fox exhaust system on my car, ive heard it on corvettes and Cayennes and its effin sick. They have a shop in dubai and def worth paying a visit too. good price and good sound
Also Check out TOM'S (Al Qouz, near Fox) in Dubai for their exhaust system. TOMS incase u didnt know is the AMG of Lexus but more restrained. If ur interested PM me and ill send u some details
Old 07-26-08, 09:33 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The snorkel is there for a reason. It helps draw in cooler air, and if you remove it, the hotter air under the hood will be drawn in, decreasing performance a little.

If sound is all you care about, it's fine, but the engine is tuned to take into account the snorkel's restriction.
Old 07-26-08, 10:15 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

nice way to damage a good car and it will just keeping running it without a filter.
Old 07-26-08, 10:17 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard next to port and polishing your engine with sand.
Old 07-26-08, 11:04 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Thinking of installing a sound exhaust system for the LS any advices
If it is OK to remove the engine air filter, It should be OK to hit the muffler with a sledge hammer

No offense, but ls460 with a sport car noise is like Mahatma Gandhi riding a horse
Old 07-26-08, 01:58 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The snorkel is there for a reason. It helps draw in cooler air, and if you remove it, the hotter air under the hood will be drawn in, decreasing performance a little.

If sound is all you care about, it's fine, but the engine is tuned to take into account the snorkel's restriction.
yes thats true performace will bog down but its really negligible and if sound is what u after then this is a simple and effective way to make ur car sound more aggressive. Alot better than removing ur air fliter which would have detrimental effects to your ride,

Another thing u can try is removing the plastic covers around the intake, that will open up some of its sound
Old 07-26-08, 02:27 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, someone should NOT own an LS. Do you know how much damage you just caused to the engine by running the LS in sand land with no intake protection?
Old 07-27-08, 11:55 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

I took it off for 2 hours. Not a big deal. Thanx for your advices guys ;-)
Old 07-28-08, 08:23 AM
garyr
Pole Position

uae, You want a cold air intake system. They have kits with a round POD type filter and that will give you the sound you are looking for. Once you remove the air box you will hear the engine roar.

So everyone knows, if you have no air filters the small dirt/sand particles get sucked into the intake chamber and gets sucked into the combustion camber and the dirt will score the rings and cylinder walls leaving you with no compression and the engine will eventually not run. It does not enter the fuel system at all.
Old 07-29-08, 04:38 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

BTW the Gulf LS Engine has port injection only. Its not like the american version where you have both Port & Direct injection.

So if im to increase the horse power i'll start with the exhaust system which will give me around 5-10 HP tops.What else can i add/replace to get more horse Power ?

Last edited by uae; 07-29-08 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 01:44 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Ive heard there are RACE filters. That would give the same sound if the filters werent there + prevent sand from going to the combustion chamber. Does anyone know how do i get those race filters ?
Old 07-29-08, 01:50 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow,....did you really just do that? BIG NO NO!!! just get an intake filter! same roaring sound affects for you. You could ruin the motor! Ouch!

Then you will end up hearing other noises you don't wanna hear....

Quick Reply: Driving the LS without AIR Filters