LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is there a Luxo Sedan that has it all?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 06:50 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is there a Luxo Sedan that has it all?

Ok, I have my 08 LS460 swb/ML and love a lot about it. As I've said in the past, however, sometimes its a bit boring to drive but it does so many things so well. Tried a BMW 7 recently and while it drove great I missed the smooth comfort of the LS and would never tolerate the I-Drive system which I simply hate. I also drove a Maserati Quattroporte but that was too authentic sports car for me, but really beautiful (not smooth enough for my taste). I'm looking for smooth but fun. The LS is truly the most comfortable and luxurious car I've owned (I've never owned a Mayback or Bentley). However, is the MB 550 equal in comfort and more fun to drive or is it marginally more fun and any benefit lost by its much higher price? Do I need just to get a side sports coupe for the days I want some driving thrill and leave the LS for the comfort, solid build and long distance driving or family nights out? Does any car have it all? I've tried the LS in power mode but that adds little. I'm thinking of an A5 coupe to augment but even in that car I miss the Lexus "feel" but the coupe is beautiful and fun. The GS does not do it for me at all so maybe there really is no all in one car. Any thoughts? Frankly I think Lexus needs a new sports coupe or a sedan that gives real driving thrill to the mix. Maybe what I'm looking for does not exist. I'm starting to believe that. All that being said, I'm very happy with the LS460.
Old 08-03-08, 08:52 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the IS350 coupe will be out in 09(SPeculation). Till that time, you can try a 335i coupe. I know a A5 looks really great exterior and interior wise but if you want driving pleaseure.... 335i is the way to go+ it gives good mileage with great power. Do test drive all before going through your sports car needs
Old 08-03-08, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no car will have it all, you are asking 2 ends of the spectrum on the same car, how is it possible. you either go one end or the other (LS vs 7), or you try to take the medium (S).
Old 08-03-08, 11:09 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by carfanmd
Ok, I have my 08 LS460 swb/ML and love a lot about it. As I've said in the past, however, sometimes its a bit boring to drive but it does so many things so well. Tried a BMW 7 recently and while it drove great I missed the smooth comfort of the LS and would never tolerate the I-Drive system which I simply hate. I also drove a Maserati Quattroporte but that was too authentic sports car for me, but really beautiful (not smooth enough for my taste). I'm looking for smooth but fun. The LS is truly the most comfortable and luxurious car I've owned (I've never owned a Mayback or Bentley). However, is the MB 550 equal in comfort and more fun to drive or is it marginally more fun and any benefit lost by its much higher price? Do I need just to get a side sports coupe for the days I want some driving thrill and leave the LS for the comfort, solid build and long distance driving or family nights out? Does any car have it all? I've tried the LS in power mode but that adds little. I'm thinking of an A5 coupe to augment but even in that car I miss the Lexus "feel" but the coupe is beautiful and fun. The GS does not do it for me at all so maybe there really is no all in one car. Any thoughts? Frankly I think Lexus needs a new sports coupe or a sedan that gives real driving thrill to the mix. Maybe what I'm looking for does not exist. I'm starting to believe that. All that being said, I'm very happy with the LS460.

I was considering exactly the same question a year ago... I really only wanted one car, I was a previous LS (430) owner and loved its comfort and character yet I also wanted something in the same class more exciting to drive... So the closest I can get to "having it all" is my new S600... it certainly has the luxury of an LS, (compares with the LS600h in fact) but it is the combination of the Twin Turbo V12 (0-60 in 4.3 to 4.5 seconds) and ABC/Active Suspension (which I think is highly under-rated as many/most S-Classes are not equipped with it) that makes it such fun... it handles like a much smaller car... I drove the entire Pacific Coast Highway south of Big Sur a few weeks back and I have never experienced a drive like it... The S600 took sharp curves like a much smaller car... I could accelerate past slow RV's instantly.. (Once 6 cars at once) ..and all while being massaged in my seat in near silence... (and anyway just opening the windows/sun-roof re-connects with the outside) The car just does not feel like a 5000 LB sedan... after a few hours of curves and twisties I got out completely untired and refreshed... and more importantly my passengers did! (Normally the curves on Highway 1 can make any passenger want to throw up)

This is one of the biggest differences between the LS600h (which I tested extensively as a comparison) and the S600... the LS600h still feels like a big sedan but the S600 really does "shrink around you." (To use the journalistic cliche) Some people think of the S600 as a chauffeur limo.. It is absolutely not. It is high performance sedan combining pretty much everything.

I think the MB 550 is too close to the LS460 to be what you seek. Though the cars have somewhat different characters, they are in the same engine/performance class and general level of ambience. An S63 or S600 would provide greater differentiation IMO. (From MB at least)

The downside of course is the price! For the price delta you could buy a fun sports car... (But I have to say the S600 formula is pretty unique and worth it)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 08-03-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 01:06 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might consider an S AMG (S63/S65) but it is difficult (or impossible) to find the perfect solution. You might also consider getting an "inexpensive" sports car to compliment the LS instead of spending the additional money for the benz. I used this approach with an '05 boxster and it did the trick. To get it all (room, comfort, convertible, sport, power, etc.) is too tall of an order for one car.

By the way, some people would hate the color but I considered this my "fun" car and wanted it in a really fun color...
Attached Thumbnails Is there a Luxo Sedan that has it all?-c.jpg  

Last edited by luxury1; 08-03-08 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 01:23 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good thread as I've had the same question for a while. I wonder if the expected Porsche Sedan (Panamera, I think) will be such a car.

Greg
Old 08-03-08, 03:08 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've just graduated from a SWB LS460 to the LS600hL - whose similarities are surpassed by their differences. The LS600 takes power and performance to a higher level - the engine sports 639 net HPs compared to the more austere 380 in the LS460. This more than amply takes up the extra weight of the battery and the electric motor-generators, and provides an extra boost in acceleration as well. This weight/HP gain is corralled by much heftier brakes and an active suspension system. Its feet are further held firmly on the ground with AWD, distributing the ample torque and HP over four wheels instead of two. Overall, it's a very different handling and performing car, and you may want to give it serious consideration before making your final decision.
Old 08-03-08, 06:38 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have a +550hp beast before my LS-460. To curb my appetite for speed I now have a motorcycle. This is the perfect combination. There is simply no car that can give you the thrill of speed like a motorcycle can. Unless you can have a F-1 car.
Old 08-04-08, 05:11 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amen to that!

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
... There is simply no car that can give you the thrill of speed like a motorcycle can ...
Amen to that!

I had a Yamaha Virago 1100 cruiser.

The raw thrill of "flooring" it from time to time absolutely satisfied my animal craving for raw power for a few weeks

I never measured it, but 0-60 must have been in the high 3's.

I easily smoked any car that tried to "Red light race".

The Virago wasn't the fastest motorcycle out there by a long shot, but in this respect, it sure satisfied.

It was also wonderful on windy country back roads where I could just cruise along at low to moderate speeds and enjoy the quiet communion with nature.

Very boring though on trips over an hour.

As I always wore a helmet, though, the LS600hL sure leaves my hair looking better...

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 08-04-08 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 08:49 AM
dc935
Rookie

Originally Posted by luxury1
You might consider an S AMG (S63/S65) but it is difficult (or impossible) to find the perfect solution. You might also consider getting an "inexpensive" sports car to compliment the LS instead of spending the additional money...
+1. i too have always had a weekend toy to satisfy the sportier side of things, so its good to see others have similar issues I plan on getting a GTR next year, so that will def make my wife happy since i keep modding her LS since im so bored w/o a sports car to tinker with. she's really gonna be pissed once shes sitting on 22s LOL!

i dont think there is one car out there either that scratches all itches, although i think id be happy with a Bugatti Veyron even if it wasnt a sedan
Old 08-04-08, 01:29 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have an SL55 as my weekend car. Now, I have the 3-series coupe. I agree, sometimes, you just have to have something a bit more sporty and fun to drive.
Old 08-04-08, 05:40 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I used to have an SL55 as my weekend car. Now, I have the 3-series coupe. I agree, sometimes, you just have to have something a bit more sporty and fun to drive.
How could you trade an SL55 for a 3 series coupe!?!?!? I really don't get this one.

The SL AMG will be my retirement car when I get there. It gives me something to really look forward to besides not working anymore...
Old 08-05-08, 01:36 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by luxury1
How could you trade an SL55 for a 3 series coupe!?!?!? I really don't get this one.

The SL AMG will be my retirement car when I get there. It gives me something to really look forward to besides not working anymore...
I second this. I think the SL is stunning, and in class, nothing is better. I was seriously considering an SL 55 about a year ago... opted for a boat instead.... sheesh I wish I could have both.
Old 08-05-08, 03:56 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the SL-65 (the V-12) worth the money?
Old 08-05-08, 04:03 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Is the SL-65 (the V-12) worth the money?
If you're looking for a "thrill" then no- buy a GT3 for that money. If you're looking for the ultimate Mercedes Sedan... perhaps? Then again, if money is burning that big a hole in your pocket... PM me

Quick Reply: Is there a Luxo Sedan that has it all?