LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Scrapes on Bottom Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 03:50 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scrapes on Bottom Front Bumper

To my horror, I have discovered signficant scrapes at the bottom front bumper - caused probably by normal parking against curbs on city streets. There was even a small. but not insignifcant dent. They cannot be seen unless one bends down to look - quite low, but they are not attractive. I was thinking about putting a bra on the front of the car, but I don't think that would help. Any ideas or similar experiences? I would hate to have it repaired and then have it happen again. The problem is that I don't recall any particular incidents where this occurred. My car is not lowered in any way. It does have air suspension and I guess I could put it in the high position. Thanks.
Old 08-05-08, 05:08 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, the front does sit very low. I'm careful and don't have any damage...

Craig
Old 08-05-08, 05:16 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
To my horror, I have discovered signficant scrapes at the bottom front bumper - caused probably by normal parking against curbs on city streets. There was even a small. but not insignifcant dent. They cannot be seen unless one bends down to look - quite low, but they are not attractive. I was thinking about putting a bra on the front of the car, but I don't think that would help. Any ideas or similar experiences? I would hate to have it repaired and then have it happen again. The problem is that I don't recall any particular incidents where this occurred. My car is not lowered in any way. It does have air suspension and I guess I could put it in the high position. Thanks.
Depending on how low is low: I would be willing to bet that it is from people parallel parking near you. I used to live in the city and would watch people parallel park all the time. They would pull forward until they hit the car in front of them and then reverse until they hit the car in back. Back and forth until they got it right. They don't have a nice car and could care less about their bumpers and don't respect other peoples property (they see it as just a bumper, that is what it is there for). I HATE THESE PEOPLE!!!

If they are minor scratches you may be able to buff it out with a machine buffer but not all of them will come out (most likely). A bra would help some but it probably won't eliminate it and it may compromise the appearance of your car depending on the type. The best way to off set this is to watch where you park (assuming that it is from poor parkers).

This is the reason why my SUV's are the only cars that go into the city. It is easier for the cars to see how much room they have and they are less likely to allow their hood or trunk lid be hit.

If it is really low then it probably is from curb damage which would be your fault (or that of a valet).
Old 08-05-08, 08:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I got some scrapes on mine (from a small boulder I didn't see) and I bought the touch up paint. It worked remarkably well. I mean I can tell its there, but no one else ever notices.
Old 08-05-08, 09:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...also I suggest being careful on sharp dips in the road, the angle/nosedive can scrape the bottom front bumper. At least there isn't as much nosedive as some FWD cars...
Old 08-06-08, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha that's why never part too forward, or better yet, back into a spot if you think the car is too long for the spot

i had a front lip and car slammed and i never had any issues just need getting used to