LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Noise From Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 06:00 PM
LSFANMIAMI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise From Front Brakes

I got my '08 LS 460 in January which currently has 4800 miles. Since new it has produced noise coming from the front brakes not unlike what I have heard on old cars sort of metal parts contracting. It happens sometimes when I slowly release the brake pedal and less often when braking. My dealer told me this is called "brake drag" and it is impossible to get rid of. Has anyone experience this and are ther any solutions to the problem? i will appreciate your feedback.

LSFANMIAMI
Old 09-18-08, 12:50 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes

I have the same problem

The dealer told me this issue started when lexus converted the pads material to environmental friendly type.

if you service your car regularly you should specify to the dealer to check the break pads. In my case I skiped one check and I ruined the rotors and had to lap the rotors.

The noise is embarrassing at the traffic light.

Other than that the noise is normal
Old 09-18-08, 06:11 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

I keep eperiencing this issue regularly but not anymore.

Just Replace the following and make sure that they are installed correctly:

Brake disks & Pads (Front)

Brake disks * Pads (Rear)

Brake Fluid

Brake Shim Grease

Balancing Brake System ( This is done by the engineer , let him know you want it done ).

After doing those you will notice the sounds have been eliminated completely + improvement in the braking system.
Old 09-18-08, 08:20 AM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Similar issue

I bought my LS back in March, but only have 2,000 miles on her. Everytime I wash the car I get lots of brake noise. Almost a grinding sound from the front brakes. It goes away after about 15-20 minutes of driving though. Not sure if it has something to do with the wheel cleaner I use, (P21S) but it is almost embarrasing when others are in the car since the interior is usually so quiet.
Old 09-18-08, 09:20 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an 08 model I picked up early this year as well and also get some slight brake noise after washing the car. I only have 3200 miles on my car and since day one I only get the brake noise after washing the car. This is indicative to the pads and rotors being wet especially after washing your wheels. What I normally do is drive the car around the block with some quick braking here and there to get rid of the water before parking it. This usually solves the issue.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-08, 09:58 AM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 with 2100 miles and have noticed the same noise, just before coming to a stop and then when releasing the brake pedal. It seems to be getting worse and will check with the dealer. I'm currently working on another problem, and just haven't approached this yet.
Old 09-18-08, 11:30 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Disk brake noise after a car wash is normal. Water seeps in between the brake pad and the disk, and when pressure is first applied after washing, the water boils off at very high temperature. Because it is trapped as it were, it causes the pad to chatter as the steam escapes. This has happened to every car I have owned that had disk brakes, but not drum brakes as they are enclosed. The noise will be more pronounced if large streams of water are used to flush the wheel area.
Old 09-18-08, 04:39 PM
LSFANMIAMI
Driver School Candidate

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. I realy appreciate it. I was already aware that water and/or cleaning liquids promote the brake noise we all have experienced and as Alsilverbullet stated, driving around and applying the brakes a few times gets rid of the noise. However, in my case, I get the noise to a lesser degree even when the brake area of the car has been dry for several days. I wiil try again with the dealer. Again, thanks guys!

LSFANMIAMI
Orlando Rio
'08 LS 460
'04 RX 330
Old 09-19-08, 10:06 AM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

Having the same problem (not washing related), I would like to hear what
solutions your delaer comes up with.
Old 09-19-08, 10:29 AM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Before I did the wind noise fix to my car, I was bothered by many different noises. Among them, the sounds that my wheels were making when I would drive on a wet road.

I can tell that some of the brake noises being reported could not possibly be related to the wind noise problem or anything other than the brakes. Some of the wind noise problems though are really noise isolation problems that have nothing to do with the wind. Noise isolation keeps you from hearing some of the normal mechanical noises that are associated with operation of your vehicle.

I know this sounds far out but it is something to think about.
Old 09-20-08, 03:35 PM
bc07
Driver School Candidate

Several months ago I heard a scraping sound from one wheel while backing up. It turned out that a small pebble was the source of the noise. Once removed all was well and there was no damage to the disk. If this is your problem you would want it repaired ASAP.